0.50 Caliber Ammo Box Charging Bunker

earthsciteach

Here is my little charging bunker I am making out of a 0.50 cal ammo box. I got the idea from some guy on RC groups who did something similar. I still need to cut a slot for the balance port, but my wife is taking a nap and it being best to let sleeping bears lie and all... I'm going to build a rack to support a gallon ziplock bag of sand, per JetPackNinja's cinder block bunker. If a LiPo fire occurs, it will melt the bag and dump the sand on the battery. It makes for a nice, compact little unit.
DSCF8255.JPG DSCF8256.JPG

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Since a LiPo fire is from free liberated Hydrogen I wonder if your bunker might need an emergency pressure relief valve to prevent an explosion of the Ammo Box during a fire.

Thurmond

earthsciteach

The vent will be through the holes where the wires pass. Those will not be sealed. I'm pretty confident that the metal would deform in lieu of detonating into shrapnel if something like that were to occur.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Make note LiPo battery's contain NO liquid:

[h=5]Lithium-ion Polymer[/h] Lithium-ion polymer batteries use liquid Lithium-ion electrochemistry in a matrix of ion conductive polymers that eliminate free electrolyte within the cell. The electrolyte thus plasticises the polymer, producing a solid electrolyte that is safe and leak resistant. Lithium polymer cells are often called Solid State cells.

Because there's no liquid, the solid polymer cell does not require the heavy protective cases of conventional batteries. The cells can be formed into flat sheets or prismatic (rectangular) packages or they can be made in odd shapes to fit whatever space is available. As a result, manufacturing is simplified and batteries can be packaged in a foil. This provides added cost and weight benefits and design flexibility. Additionally, the absence of free liquid makes Lithium-ion polymer batteries more stable and less vulnerable to problems caused by overcharge, damage or abuse.

IMHO no acid to neutralize.

Thurmond

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Copy then change it to regular sand just to help seal it if it catches of fire and the sand comes down