084 MultiRC's Mark Lehman and the HMB 235

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
img-3433-jpg_1439586803.jpg

Join the Aftershours crew for this this exciting interview with Mark Lehman from MultiRC and his quest to build the ultimate almost indestructible quadcopter. - See more at: http://flitetest.com/articles/084-multirc-s-mark-lehman-and-the-hmb-235

Audio Link

HMB 235 in action

HMB 235 crash testing

MultiRC website

- See more at: http://flitetest.com/articles/084-multirc-s-mark-lehman-and-the-hmb-235#sthash.lzHH5qtC.dpuf

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
My HK ones has lasted but I killed the motor mounts recently.

IMG_5056.jpg

My buddy bought a HMB at FF2015.
IMG_5219.jpg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Great podcast. I now know what that quad was doing in the combat!

I completely missed the community testing of this thing at FTFF2015. I guess I need to pay better attention also. I would have loved a chance to try it out.

This frame will be the next multi rotor purchase I make. Can't wait to test it out with all the cool stuff I keep crashing into.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Next year I need to pay more attention to these kind of things ;)

Yeah, I missed it too. Now I have to pay extra shipping and customs. :-(

I also missed the air bears. Well I noticed the tent, but thought it's a local thing and didn't realize what it really was.

AdamV

I've got this on my workbench about 70% complete; Needs a little more soldering and then i get to learn cleanflight and the whole PID thing.

Anyone have any PID/etc presets i could steal to make this a little easier? (running DYS 1806's)

My only issue with assembly is the ESCs sold on multirc are without BECs. Rather, you hook up a voltage regulator (also sold on multirc to power the naze from the power distribution board). I think i understand the benefit of this. Pretty sure i have it all figured out, but i think were i to do it again, as a first quad build, i'd use esc's with BECs to make it a little simpler.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
HDPE is pretty insensitive to heat . . . or at least the temperatures your motors should live in. I've been using 1/2" booms of the stuff (instead of the wooden dowels) for quite a while, and I *FINALY* broke on from repeated bending fatigue . . . and most of those bends were put in intentionally to demo how resilient the material was. Never had any issues with heat.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
HDPE - High Density Poly Ethylene
Milk Bottle Plastic, is very tough and is very slippery on itself.
It has almost zero stretch and it's stronger than steel.
It does have a low melting point.
These characteristics make it an almost ideal Kite Line.
High quality kite line sets are mostly all Spectra fiber (HDPE).
It's also used in Bullet Prof Vests. It's tough!

The low melting point is it's only drawback as Kite Line.
Any crappy nylon dime store kite string will cut it like butter.
Causing much gnashing of teeth (a good Spectra line set can run from $50-$100).
Serious kite flyers will never fly near kids with cheap kites.

Best regards,
PCH

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I should add that the relatively low MP of HDPE won't have any effect on this frame in normal environmental conditions. I bet you could cut it with a nylon string though......

Best regards,
PCH

Mark Lehman

I've got this on my workbench about 70% complete; Needs a little more soldering and then i get to learn cleanflight and the whole PID thing.

Anyone have any PID/etc presets i could steal to make this a little easier? (running DYS 1806's)

My only issue with assembly is the ESCs sold on multirc are without BECs. Rather, you hook up a voltage regulator (also sold on multirc to power the naze from the power distribution board). I think i understand the benefit of this. Pretty sure i have it all figured out, but i think were i to do it again, as a first quad build, i'd use esc's with BECs to make it a little simpler.

Adam, thank you for bringing that to our attention. I had not thought of the electronics like that. This is an issue we will address in the near future.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
After I listened to the podcast I ordered a frame and a set of motors from MultiRC.

Just wanted to say that.

AdamV

Adam, thank you for bringing that to our attention. I had not thought of the electronics like that. This is an issue we will address in the near future.

Well, i double checked my connections, or so i thought, and fried my pololu voltage regulator (i had voltage in and voltage out swapped) :(.... cheap fix - need to make sure i get it right this time.... then never touch it!

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
HDPE is usually rated up to temps of 140 degrees. After that it gets pretty flemsy.

It would be interesting if someone can test to see if it will be permanently warped if say it was left in a hot car on it's side. I'm thinking probably not...the bottom plate is pretty thick, probably wouldn't do too much.