098 The FAA debacle

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
If you want to use the ham radio analogy, there should be no registration for flyers (of any type) as long as you meet certain operational requirements: Altitude, range, proximity to airfields, etc. For the vast majority of r/c flyers, this means that we can operate as before without the FAA having any interest in our activities.

However, there could be levels of certification for those interested in long-range FPV, high altitude flying, commercial operations, etc.

Agreed 100%

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
And, of course, severe punishments should be meted out for those nimrods who fly their off-the-shelf toys in such a way as to endanger or impede the general public.

You mean tort? That exists already...in many ways. Whether it involves the court or not. For example if a kid breaks my window with a baseball. As long as the window is replaced, I don't really care. If the kid apologizes and the parents replace the window all is well. But if the kid runs away and the parents deny everything then I file a police report and I can take them to court. In both cases the problem can be solved. However involving courts or government just makes the restitution way more expensive and stressful.

Right in the FAQ they want you to bypass tort law and immediately call police. Even if the drone caused no damage or harm. Now we have to involve law enforcement and the FAA.

Accidently rear ending someone isn't a criminal act. Backing up and driving away right after doing so is. It's called a hit and run. It is the people that crash their quads into buildings or crowds and run away that is fueling this public outcry for the FAA to "protect them". Little does the public know that the FAA isn't there to protect them from drones. Their job is to make manned aircraft operation safer...which I read a lot of mixed reviews on how bad they are doing on that... Despite that the FAA is riding on public fear to pass pretty much anything they want.

Last edited:

FAA-Tom

The AMA will turn into another NRA if the FAA goes unchecked. Meaning the government likes to punish the people that fallow the laws. Most of the guns used to harm people were gotten by ill means. Not looking for a gun debate. Most of the time over 90% the idiots who do something bad with drones are not the ones joining the AMA and actively seek out the rules. The big issue is we as a hole need to start coming to a conclusion we need to fight this tooth and nail. If we hit them hard now with letters, phone calls, and emails we stand a chance of stopping the flood that is coming. I am seeing the chatter at work and I know there is more coming down the pipeline.

As far as a drone not taking down a jumbo jet, yes most likely not damage it very bad yes. I took down a Bell jet Ranger when it broke into my airspace in Iraq and my RQ-11B hit the tail rotor. Everyone was fine but almost killed the pilots and caused allot of damage to the rear of the aircraft. My drone was totaled to the tone of $50k. It was the helo pilots fault but still. There should be no plains flying at 400ft AGL so this shouldnt happen. I just hope that something big doesnt happen of we are all out of a cool sport.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
The AMA will turn into another NRA if the FAA goes unchecked. Meaning the government likes to punish the people that fallow the laws. Most of the guns used to harm people were gotten by ill means. Not looking for a gun debate. Most of the time over 90% the idiots who do something bad with drones are not the ones joining the AMA and actively seek out the rules. The big issue is we as a hole need to start coming to a conclusion we need to fight this tooth and nail. If we hit them hard now with letters, phone calls, and emails we stand a chance of stopping the flood that is coming. I am seeing the chatter at work and I know there is more coming down the pipeline.

As far as a drone not taking down a jumbo jet, yes most likely not damage it very bad yes. I took down a Bell jet Ranger when it broke into my airspace in Iraq and my RQ-11B hit the tail rotor. Everyone was fine but almost killed the pilots and caused allot of damage to the rear of the aircraft. My drone was totaled to the tone of $50k. It was the helo pilots fault but still. There should be no plains flying at 400ft AGL so this shouldnt happen. I just hope that something big doesnt happen of we are all out of a cool sport.

Chatter regarding more comeing down the pipeline is what scares me. Here are my problems.

1. The clear breaking of public law 112-95 sec 336 i have read over it many times and no matter what the FAAs interpretation of it is they are clearly breaking it.
2. Public acess to registration data.
3. Local law enforcement and citizen harrasment and questioning. It has happend to me as a photographer and it discurages me from my photography.
4. Future overberring and illegal regulation in the excuse of safty being pushed on rc pilots that register.
5. Inacurate data from the faa causing fearmongering among media and citizens.

It is sad to see a hobby I started in in 1998 come to this now.
note i fly fixed wing rc aircraft and always follow AMA rules.

The weight restriction is almost laughable. 250 grams? I say why not follow AMA non park flyer that starts at 5 pounds. Also requier registration if ONLY a UAS is outside the definition in 112-95 sec 336. But registration is not going to do much to fix the issue at all.

Last edited:

KuManChu

The thought of this registration process really sickens me. I was up most of the night thinking more about it, and it angered me more and more. I thought that we lived in the land of the free and where you are innocent until proven guilty! Through this registration process, I feel like they are putting serial numbers on us as if we are inmates that have already committed crimes. With this new process my modeling RC aircraft requires more accountability than the firearms I own. Branding us and labeling us in society like this, in my mind is ridiculous! They are saying they are promoting safety, however I believe they are scaring us to learn the law with the outrageous $27,500 fines. This is not the way to establish safety or learn laws. It will scare people out of the hobby. Who wants to jump through these kind of hoops for a hobby? I am also surprised how many people (liberals) are so quick to want to be regulated like sheep and let the government or FAA take care of us! Even though the RC modeling community was growing, we are still a minority group with not much voice in the grand scheme of this country. Therefore we will be taken advantage of in this manner and I think it will continue to get worse before it ever gets better. These knee jerk reactions seem to be the way of the future.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
The AMA will turn into another NRA if the FAA goes unchecked. Meaning the government likes to punish the people that fallow the laws.

I was thinking more TRA than NRA (look it up: http://www.tripoli.org/).

I'm ready to dump the FAA off the same cliff as the BATFE. They're sick. When they prosecute the air force pilot and air traffic controller that killed two of my friends I'll give consideration to them being remotely capable of accomplishing something useful.

crash1414

FTafterhours podcast host
ter (i.e., get permission from the federal government) because some nimrods were playing with GPS jammers near an airport.

If you want to use the ham radio analogy, there should be no registration for flyers (of any type) as long as you meet certain operational requirements: Altitude, range, proximity to airfields, etc. For the vast majority of r/c flyers, this means that we can operate as before without the FAA having any interest in our activities.

However, there could be levels of certification for those interested in long-range FPV, high altitude flying, commercial operations, etc. In other words, if your activities could conceivably impact other users of the National Airspace System (or the general public on the ground), then you would be required to prove some level of competence, safety, and awareness of appropriate regulations.

And, of course, severe punishments should be meted out for those nimrods who fly their off-the-shelf toys in such a way as to endanger or impede the general public.

this is a great point!

Quick question,

If you have only ever scratch built a model (plane and quadcopter) what do you put down for the manufacturer name and model name when registering?

BobK

Banned
Someone in another group asked if there was a place to check your number, I think look yourself up and see if everything is legit.

No one answered so I thought I would ask here.