1/18 FPV OFF-ROAD RC CAR

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
When I saw this buggy and its price, I just had to buy it!

fpv_buggy_01.jpg

fpv_buggy_05.jpg

To increase the fun even more, I ordered and glued in an FPV AIO camera.
fpv_buggy_02.jpg

I sealed everything with hotglue.

fpv_buggy_03.jpg

For the power supply I connected a 1s lipo.
The buggy runs on 2s and I already ordered a voltage reducer so that I can power the FPV cam via the battery of the buggy soon.

fpv_buggy_04.jpg

Driving the buggy through the garden is a lot of fun! There are still some ramps missing for jumping.
fpv_buggy_06.jpg

If I hadn't installed the camera, I probably wouldn't have noticed that the steering wheel is glued in the wrong position! :eek:

Here is my shopping list for interested people:
Have Fun!

kdobson83

Getting a decent crawler and driving it FPV is HIGH on my to-do list. But I want the Redcat Racing Everst gen7, which is $200 😒...
Does the crawler you got have proportional steering and throttle?

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Yes!
Turn the steering wheel and you have a fully proportional steering.
Pull the trigger and it moves forward fully proportional!
Push the trigger forward once and it brakes.
Push the trigger forward again and it moves backward fully proportional!

I am thrilled! This little one can do everything what my previous Tamiya or Kyosho models could already do!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
When I saw this buggy and its price, I just had to buy it!

View attachment 122304

View attachment 122309

To increase the fun even more, I ordered and glued in an FPV AIO camera.
View attachment 122305
I sealed everything with hotglue.

View attachment 122306

For the power supply I connected a 1s lipo.
The buggy runs on 2s and I already ordered a voltage reducer so that I can power the FPV cam via the battery of the buggy soon.

View attachment 122307

Driving the buggy through the garden is a lot of fun! There are still some ramps missing for jumping.
View attachment 122308
If I hadn't installed the camera, I probably wouldn't have noticed that the steering wheel is glued in the wrong position! :eek:

Here is my shopping list for interested people:
Have Fun!

Very cool! Great job!(y)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I went a bit bigger on a brushed 1/10 2WD Traxxas Slash. Been watching for one on craigslist for a L-O-o-N-nn-G time and had flip-flopped on dropping to a 1/16 4wd Slash too. A new 2WD 1/10 popped recently in my budget and so I pulled the plug. Guy had won it as a door prize at work and had no idea what to do with it. Win-Win for us both. I've had many cheapie RC cars in the past, and this is my first "good" one. Planning on FPVing it with full telemetry via FC, GPS, Long-Range radios, Nigh/Low light capable camera, and a roll/pitch gimble. May try ArduRover on the FC if I get real ambitious too since Ardu* runs on many F4 FCs now.

Oh, and plan on making a foamy Aircraft carrier deck body for indoor flys too!
slash.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

Liam598

Looks powerful! I think to order for myself the first model, how much did it cost you? Now I choose here https://wisepick.org/best-rc-rock-crawler/ , are these models good for the price? Forgive me if I ask the question in the wrong place, I still don’t understand these models. I think you have the experience to help me in this :)

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
As for the Top 6 list, I can only say that this is a matter of taste! I am satisfied with my HS 18311. It rolls and rolls and rolls. Before you buy your first RC car, you should decide which scale and type you want. The car should have four-wheel drive and enough ground clearance. With the HS 18311 I was surprised that it is fully proportional at that price, has a steering servo and even a braking function. It was also important to me that there were spare parts, because I let my son drive with it. At that time it cost me 38.86 Euro.

Here to the current offer:
https://www.banggood.com/HS-4CH-4WD...00.html?rmmds=search&ID=229&cur_warehouse=USA

Last edited:

omar_ita

Hi to all!

I also bought this quite unknown RC model, and it's my first RC ever (except some useless toys). I didn't find too many forums talking about it. Anyway, my opinion on this RC is that is not too bad. Quite fast, responsive, 4wd, fully proportional (steering, forward and backward), two differentials and so on. The thing that disappointed me (but hey, this RC costs a little more than 40 bucks, and it's great for that money!) is the RC. It's very cheap and fragile. In detail, I steered with too much strength and the steer rotated too much breaking a little plastic tip that serves as end-of-scale. I rebuilt it with a screw, but the coil that put the steer on center is now deformed and the steer is quite imprecise. Also the shocks are an issue because are not designed for the oil so the car tends to "bounce" over obstacles and tip over.

As a first upgrade I would like to buy a new remote and replace the internal receiver. The internal receiver is an all in one with a 5 wires servo for steering and a brushed motor.

IMG_20200512_132449.jpg

I would like to replace remote and receiver with something like this:

https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-...-p-1086215.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Which is provided with transmitter and receiver. For each channel, the receiver have three electrical contacts. So for sure I need to replace the steering servo with a 3 wires model (same size etc). My question is: do I need an ESC to drive the motor?

The second upgrade will be finding oil shocks (same length and connector size).

Any suggestion?
Thanks,

Mario.

omar_ita

@omar_ita Yes, you still need ESC for a brushed motor. But with how many amps? You'd have to measure that.

@AircPirateNinsei , thank you for the suggestion. I disconnected the engine and measured the current at the worst condition: the wheels blocked. It is around 9A. So I think a 10A ESC should be enough (maybe better 20A).
I've chosen this ESC:

https://www.banggood.com/2030A-Mini....html?rmmds=search&ID=519150&cur_warehouse=CN

which have brake too and this servo, having the same size of existing (but is an universal 3 wires insteald of 5).

https://www.banggood.com/WPL-Rc-Car...T&rmmds=cart_middle_products&cur_warehouse=CN

I'll let you know if the modding is successful.

Regards,
Mario.