1/4 Scale Bud Nosen Designed Citabria

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
With the first window in place I couldn't resist pushing forward and covering the side. The major goal was to avoid wasting too much covering since it's fairly expensive. Some careful-ish measurements tell me that if I'm lucky I'll get both sides covered from a single length of covering at 54" long. Hopefully. It took a little work, but I was able to get the elevator and rudder pushrod holes cut very close to where they need to be (to avoid big ugly holes in the covering).

thumbnail_IMG_0625.jpg

I covered the side (including the windows) with a single sheet of covering, so no seams to worry about. :) After shrinking the covering I sealed the covering down to the extra plastic around the windows and then carefully cut the covering off to expose the windows. When shrinking I had to be sure to keep the heat AWAY from the windows so I didn't accidentally stick the covering to the clear windows. That'd be bad... I'm super happy with how it's looking so far! :love:

thumbnail_IMG_0626.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Covering takes forever, but is so rewarding! Side windows are the covering hides all of the edges nicely. Painting will kind of suck as I'll have to tape carefully over all exposed windows... As with the wings, the pinking is going on before paint and it's also very time consuming. The most difficult part of the covering was easily the rear top. It curves in two directions at once which left a lot of wrinkles on top, but this covering from Balsa USA shrinks BEAUTIFULLY and all wrinkles came out. If all goes well, by the weekend I'll be ready to lay down the first layer of paint.

thumbnail_IMG_0631.jpg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
That's using Oratex right? I only have experience with Solartex, and it's probably the best fabric I've tried. The stuff shrinks so well I was able to do the deceitfully difficult tail fillet that Cubs have with ease using it. I've heard some personal comparisons between the two saying Oratex is either garbage or superior to Solartex, but never tried it myself. I need to do another big scale build to try it out myself with :p

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That's using Oratex right? I only have experience with Solartex, and it's probably the best fabric I've tried. The stuff shrinks so well I was able to do the deceitfully difficult tail fillet that Cubs have with ease using it. I've heard some personal comparisons between the two saying Oratex is either garbage or superior to Solartex, but never tried it myself. I need to do another big scale build to try it out myself with :p

Yes, it’s Oratex. It feels like the glue may activate and release at a slightly different temp than Solar Tex, which isn’t really an issue, just an observation. It shrinks Nd sticks down great, I really like the stuff!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Covering on the fuselage is done, other than a couple last touches on the pinking. I still need to go over all seams and pinking with an iron to make sure it's secure, but then it's ready for masking and the first coat of white. Before doing that, the rudder and elevators were installed and all linkages hooked up to make sure everything is good. The wires were also installed which stiffened up the control surfaces considerably!

thumbnail_IMG_0644.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
Whoa! I the heck did I not get the alerts on this one. WOW! U R just knocking this thig out of the park!. Man O Man, this covering job is just amazing. (y)(y)(y).(y)(y) X 10-10th!!!

Draftman1

Looks awesome!
back n the day, Built the smaller trainer and citabria, I enjoyed those rough cut kits. Nice to see the larger version,

espo1981

With the first window in place I couldn't resist pushing forward and covering the side. The major goal was to avoid wasting too much covering since it's fairly expensive. Some careful-ish measurements tell me that if I'm lucky I'll get both sides covered from a single length of covering at 54" long. Hopefully. It took a little work, but I was able to get the elevator and rudder pushrod holes cut very close to where they need to be (to avoid big ugly holes in the covering).

View attachment 176326

I covered the side (including the windows) with a single sheet of covering, so no seams to worry about. :) After shrinking the covering I sealed the covering down to the extra plastic around the windows and then carefully cut the covering off to expose the windows. When shrinking I had to be sure to keep the heat AWAY from the windows so I didn't accidentally stick the covering to the clear windows. That'd be bad... I'm super happy with how it's looking so far! :love:

View attachment 176327
Are the strut placements on yours not scale? My kit was purchased in 1981 and I'm just building it now. I discovered the struts are too short and not attached far enough outboard to match the full scale. And, not provision for jury struts were made in the kit. Was yours the same?