1:6 Scale Foamy DFW T.28 Floh - Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol Challenge

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Fri 5/27-5/28 Sat
Today I managed to get some time with this project.
IMG_20220528_031523319.jpg

I was able to put the barbecue skewers into the wings all four and they left is offset by 1 campfire skewer thickness in front of the right I think. This allows them to come together in the fuselage and dovetail smoothly together. It seems to work well so what I'm going to create is a sleeve between the left and right wall of the fuselage.
After that I worked on developing the cowl? And mounting the 5010 340 KV pancake motor with a 1555 prop. Well this motor will certainly have enough torque and pull it may not be pulling the plane fast enough to take air although I can I have a feeling it will. The slow speed if not too close to the stall speed should be very scale and I'm looking forward to seeing this in the air the 15-in prop is exactly to scale at 1:6. Next was to put in the control horns in the surfaces I also mounted the vertical stabilizer. I was able to then cut off the decals and begin mounting them on the top of both wings and the bottoms of the the lower wings. As well as either side of the tail the decals are iron Cross decals included in the plans I stick glued the back of the paper and attach them to the top or bottom side of the wing respectively. Lastly is the landing gear struts and mounting the wheels. The wire struts are 8-in wire from an old chloroplast sign using the shorter cross pieces that were 10 inch long I folded them in half to approximately 45 degrees and I talked took the top 1 inch and folded them and 20° so that they become parallel with the fuselage and keeping a slight camber outward from the fuselage wall on both sides. I ensure that they were mounted so that they were parallel with the front edge of the wing. The last step was to take the two will hub skirts and mount them to newly cut wheel rounds the same diameter as the inside of the slightly conical sections and I glued them to either side of the circular piece. This created two somewhat thick wheel hubs and a nice cut out as a guide to cut out the PVA foam I plan to use as tire material. The hub of these two wheels will be a straight piece of wire. The wire will be fastened to the struts with string and CA. And then after the wheels are mounted A little dab at the ends of each piece of that wire will keep the wheels onto the axle. Last piece will be the tail skid which I believe I'm going to make using landscaping wire to keep it light, either that or barbecue skewer, simple and effective.
Last pieces to this is the center of the servos and mountain and run the pushrods (landscaping wire ). Then figure out the wing bracing, run cable stay wires.

a bonus step will be to add lights for night flying.
IMG_20220528_031509547.jpg IMG_20220528_031523319.jpg IMG_20220528_031535741.jpg IMG_20220528_031540985.jpg IMG_20220528_031558635.jpg

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
Fri 5/27-5/28 Sat
Today I managed to get some time with this project.
View attachment 226323
I was able to put the barbecue skewers into the wings all four and they left is offset by 1 campfire skewer thickness in front of the right I think. This allows them to come together in the fuselage and dovetail smoothly together. It seems to work well so what I'm going to create is a sleeve between the left and right wall of the fuselage.
After that I worked on developing the cowl? And mounting the 5010 340 KV pancake motor with a 1555 prop. Well this motor will certainly have enough torque and pull it may not be pulling the plane fast enough to take air although I can I have a feeling it will. The slow speed if not too close to the stall speed should be very scale and I'm looking forward to seeing this in the air the 15-in prop is exactly to scale at 1:6. Next was to put in the control horns in the surfaces I also mounted the vertical stabilizer. I was able to then cut off the decals and begin mounting them on the top of both wings and the bottoms of the the lower wings. As well as either side of the tail the decals are iron Cross decals included in the plans I stick glued the back of the paper and attach them to the top or bottom side of the wing respectively. Lastly is the landing gear struts and mounting the wheels. The wire struts are 8-in wire from an old chloroplast sign using the shorter cross pieces that were 10 inch long I folded them in half to approximately 45 degrees and I talked took the top 1 inch and folded them and 20° so that they become parallel with the fuselage and keeping a slight camber outward from the fuselage wall on both sides. I ensure that they were mounted so that they were parallel with the front edge of the wing. The last step was to take the two will hub skirts and mount them to newly cut wheel rounds the same diameter as the inside of the slightly conical sections and I glued them to either side of the circular piece. This created two somewhat thick wheel hubs and a nice cut out as a guide to cut out the PVA foam I plan to use as tire material. The hub of these two wheels will be a straight piece of wire. The wire will be fastened to the struts with string and CA. And then after the wheels are mounted A little dab at the ends of each piece of that wire will keep the wheels onto the axle. Last piece will be the tail skid which I believe I'm going to make using landscaping wire to keep it light, either that or barbecue skewer, simple and effective.
Last pieces to this is the center of the servos and mountain and run the pushrods (landscaping wire ). Then figure out the wing bracing, run cable stay wires.

a bonus step will be to add lights for night flying.
View attachment 226322 View attachment 226323 View attachment 226324 View attachment 226325 View attachment 226326
That came out very well. Like to see a vid of it in flight.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This weekend I was able to work on the landing gear. I was able to cut out the PVA foam to mount to the wheel hubs for this I just used a tape roll as the inside diameter was the same as the inside of the roll and how much tape I have left seem to good thickness for the tire. Are you at the plastic straw as the hub center to reduce friction and otherwise mounted it to pretty standard arrangement using zip ties to tie it down and wooden strips as load distribution.
IMG_20220531_074244429.jpg
IMG_20220531_074246563.jpg
IMG_20220531_074253623.jpg
IMG_20220531_074300980.jpg

I also short up the hatch in the front which requires taking off the prop to be able to access the insides.

Next step is rigging and servo placement.