1:9 Scale B-17G - 'Sweet Pea'

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Wow, I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Absolutely amazing. Ok, beyond amazing. I am doing a hot wire a self design EDF. I never would have thought about using the technique of how U did the wings and tail. I too will be balsa and fiber glassing. I will give this method a try. Thanks for posting a video,. I was having a heck of time doing a swept back from solid foam.

I definitely can't take credit for the idea but it sure does work well! Good luck with your design. Hopefully this thread will start getting more regular updates once the landing gear are complete. It has been over a year since I had a video update!

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Latest pictures from the sheeting. First half is now foam sheeted (minus a few spots that need some cleanup. Formers are installed on the other side and most of the center crutch is removed. I've now laid down some of the CF strip that is basically the only stringer and I've started working on the ply plate where the tailwheel retract will mount. I need to get some internals planned and framed out before sheeting the other side. Current weight is just a hair over 18oz.
Man if this is how big a ninth scale b17 as I’d like to see how big a third scale B-17 is that would be massive

whawaii

I just discovered this project & am over the moon. Have started on a 1/12 scale B-17 myself in order to troubleshoot the 1/8 scale I'm wanting to end up with. This thread is definitely going to be an inspiration for motivating me to get the first one completed. As I've been reading through your struggles, I'm realizing you've faced many of same issues I've run into. Mainly that the complexities which bog things down tend to end up at the landing gear (& for me the engines).

Had the plans worked out 6 months ago but the firewalls & the swappable power modules have been where most of my time/re-dos have been happening. It'll be able to fly on all glow (OS .40s) or all electric or mixed. Which way will depend on what I'm planning on dropping from the 2 gallon/8-chamber bomb bay. If it's just the 2" diameter bombs, then as an electric it will be able to handle the weight of all the motor batteries. I've computed that i don't want the maximum Take-off weight to be over 33 lbs, so if I'm going to drop lots of water balloons, then the lighter glow engines are what's going to be needed. (Hint: Guess how much 2 gallons of water weighs.) The 8-chambers will be selectable as single, double or quad per release. As for the landing gear, while I'm going to build it for the retracts, I'll start out with fixed gear first, just to work out the bugs.

Haven't landed on which scheme I'm going to do it up in yet, but it will be something very different from the usual. Just to turn peoples heads & make them question things, but it will definitely be something that actually existed though. Am inclining towards the German version but also heavily considering a British Night version (All black with brown & green camo on top). Of course, I can't seem to get the "Birmingham Blitzkrieg" out of my mind. (Maybe I'll just make all 3 of them & end up like Col. Jones in Australia. HA-HA)

Anyway, would love to find out how things have been going with your progress. You seem so close to finally having it airworthy. A friend of mine built the Wingspan Models 1/9 scale some years ago (see pic), so I know how large it is. It went in back around 2018, but I just recently found out that he's now working on another one. He has the fuse mostly completed & is now starting on the wings.

Attachments

• Bills_B-17_1.JPG
    Bills_B-17_1.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: