• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

1:9 Scale B-17G - 'Sweet Pea'

PsyBorg

Fly Angry
Mentor
Cool you got more exposure from that article. Well deserved with what you guys are going thru to buikd AND document the process for others to learn from.

An idea for cable slack management could be easily done with a 3d printer. Modified mini shocks that use pen springs and have pulleys on the ends. One or two of those per side will ensure you never get a kink or bind when using the tail wheel system.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Lots of interesting ideas to mull over. I kindof like the the shadow box idea, although it would probably be one big box to cover both gun positions (they were side-by-side on early B-17s but then got staggered by the time the G model came around so the wait gunners had more room to move). I'll do a bit of experimenting to come up with a lightweight solution. Maybe even just lay up a piece of 1oz glass cloth to make fiberglass sheets and cut the walls/floor out of that. I won't be doing any serious detailing with it now, but it would be a lot easier to go ahead and paint this area the appropriate OD / interior green BEFORE closing up the model.

Nothing got done last night. Feel a bug coming on and went straight to bed after the kid went down. We'll see how tonight goes :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Lots of interesting ideas to mull over. I kindof like the the shadow box idea, although it would probably be one big box to cover both gun positions (they were side-by-side on early B-17s but then got staggered by the time the G model came around so the wait gunners had more room to move). I'll do a bit of experimenting to come up with a lightweight solution. Maybe even just lay up a piece of 1oz glass cloth to make fiberglass sheets and cut the walls/floor out of that. I won't be doing any serious detailing with it now, but it would be a lot easier to go ahead and paint this area the appropriate OD / interior green BEFORE closing up the model.

Nothing got done last night. Feel a bug coming on and went straight to bed after the kid went down. We'll see how tonight goes :)
1oz glass cloth sheet walls sounds like a great idea to me! Lightweight, will take paint well, and doesn't care about NoVA humidity :D

Feel better soon - there are some sucky "take you out of commission for a week" bugs running around here this month.

wilmracer

Mentor
Not much progress on the 17 last night, but I did shoot a video on the method I use with Fusion 360 to create the instrument panels. At our next local AMA club meeting we're going to be discussing using Fusion 360 and 3D printing to make scale parts for our models and I'm going to do a demo during the meeting. I wanted the guys in our club to have a video they could go back to for reference so they can try it out for themselves. As an incentive I'm going to offer to print panels for any club member who designs one for their model. They just have to send me the file and be patient

Its a long video but if anyone hasn't tried Fusion 360 before and wants to have a go at it this is an easy way to start.

wilmracer

Mentor
Glad some folks will get some use from the video! Panels were the first things I tried designing in sketchup and then in Fusion 360 and if you're patient you can get beautiful results with just a few simple techniques.

Had a presentation today to prepare for so no B-17 building got done last night. Tonight is V-day and tomorrow we have a sitter for date night, so I doubt I'll get much shop time before Saturday.