1:9 Scale B-17G - 'Sweet Pea'

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Wing panels have been hotwire cut and I've installed the CF stringers. Outboard panels get a pair, just one stringer top and bottom. This REALLY stiffens them up.

Inboard get 2 pairs, 2 top and 2 bottom. This also stiffens them up and will also help hold everything in alignment when portions of the foam are removed for running the main spars. The inboard section is large, but not too crazy. It will be the heaviest portion of the plane by far but I think I'll still be able to manage it myself at the field.

On edit: I've baked in 3* of washout into the cut panels. Might be more than she needs, but I don't want any surprises with stalls on this one.

Attachments

• Glamor_Shot_2a.png
    Glamor_Shot_2a.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Glamor_Shot_3a.png
    Glamor_Shot_3a.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Glamor_Shot_4.jpg
    Glamor_Shot_4.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200217_152102.jpg
    20200217_152102.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200215_115839.jpg
    20200215_115839.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200215_115856.jpg
    20200215_115856.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1

wilmracer

Mentor
I guess I need to get on with designing a bomb drop system for you.

That would be awesome for sure! I was working out the estimated dimensions for the bay but need a few more measurements. Pretty sure it will need to be able to be loaded from below. Other option is with the wing removed, but I want to avoid that because it would be a PITA. I haven't started thinking about it yet TBH.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I've had an idea for it that I've never finalized. Not true to scale but would work for easy loading and dropping a cluster of bombs for effect. We'll chat about it.

wilmracer

Mentor
Still grinding along when I can. The three spars are installed in the central wing section. I'll be working out the remaining structure, sheeting the upper surface, and then mating to the fuselage in the coming days/weeks.

Attachments

• 20200507_213920.jpg
    20200507_213920.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200507_214039.jpg
    20200507_214039.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200507_230208.jpg
    20200507_230208.jpg
  • 20200508_222908.jpg
    20200508_222908.jpg
  • 20200508_222918.jpg
    20200508_222918.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200510_130317.jpg
    20200510_130317.jpg

wilmracer

Mentor
Looking good! That spar setup should be plenty strong. It'll be interesting to see all the sparky parts getting installed in there! :D

Soon (I hope)

The spar should be good. I debate adding some holes to it to save weight but if this comes in north of 45-50lbs I want to be confident it will hold up. Hopefully she will never see any high G maneuvers :p

wilmracer

Mentor
No pictures from last night but I'll grab some tonight. I worked a bit on the inboard nacelle structure and I think I'm going to redesign them a bit and rebuild in the next few days. The version on my rough plans doesn't really account for retracts and was intended for a different main wing spar design. I'm glad I built one out to check fit and placement and it gave me a lot of good ideas, so I'll start knocking out v2 tonight.

I DID pull the trigger on power system parts, although there will still be some searching for the perfect prop. Vario Prop doesn't have anything off the shelf that will work (I've emailed them about custom work). Same thing for Solo props (BEAUTIFUL but $$$). I heard back from the Solo prop folks and they are actually planning on releasing something for the Jerry Bates 1:9 B-17 so I'll keep my eyes open for those. Not sure I want to go $200+ PER PROP though :eek::eek::eek:

So for now I'm going to play around with a few Master Airscrew props. The REAL scale diameter would be 15.44" and I want to be close enough that it doesn't catch your eye. I also need CW and CCW props. MAS has a 15x7x3 in both CW and CCW that I'll start my testing with. They also have a 16x10x3 in both CW and CCW and I've picked up a pair of these for testing. I'll likely need to cut it down to avoid overdrawing the motors, but we'll see. I don't need/want blistering speed. Just looking for that sweet spot with a decent speed envelope and plenty of thrust to get out of trouble. I think with a little modification to round out the tips they will look close enough for now, particularly if I paint them appropriately.

So for the motors... I was impressed with @willsonman 's testing of the FT monster radial, and it has a slightly higher KV than the eflite power 60 I run everywhere else. That will likely pair well with the 15x7x3 on 6s. Size and weight look good too, and the price is right compared to the eflite as well.

So I bought 6 of the FT monster radials. 2 for spares, one of which will be beat on for prop testing.

Also picked up 6 YEP 100Amp ESCs. @willsonman loves them and the one I ran worked great. LOADS of nice options too. Again this gives me 2 spares, one of which will get beat on for prop testing. (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyki...ugmgaVqFo0sq2h5CFi8aAvZjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds )

I realize I'm going a bit nuts with spares, BUT here is my reasoning. I LOVE my P-40, but on too many occasions I've gone to the trouble to haul her to an event and set her up, only to be grounded by a failed part (usually landing gear). Hauling this beast, and setting her up, will be a real chore. She will be traveling with enough spare parts and tools that, in theory, I should be able to handle almost any failure in the field and not lose a chance to fly because Murphy's law struck again.

I've got some other surprises that are being worked right now too. The next few months of the project are going to be really exciting!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think you're being very smart to get the spares on the power system. In my mind this gives you one "safe spare" and still lets you do some really aggressive bench testing with one set, all the way to the breaking point if need be, so you can have confidence in the system before putting her in the air. Plus you can put one of these extra setups into your next build and still have a full spare set for the Sweet Pea! :D

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Awesome work so far! For props, (although it would mean no counter-rotation), have you considered the 1600mm Flightline Corsair props? Those are 16" diameter and pretty affordable and scale looking. I run them on my 1700mm FMS F7F Tigercat and have had good luck with them.

wilmracer

Mentor
Awesome work so far! For props, (although it would mean no counter-rotation), have you considered the 1600mm Flightline Corsair props? Those are 16" diameter and pretty affordable and scale looking. I run them on my 1700mm FMS F7F Tigercat and have had good luck with them.

Thanks! I had actually considered the stock props from the FMS F7F and did look at some of the big ARF props. Counter rotation is pretty much a must for me on this model. I know the full scale didn't run counter rotation, but for an RC model this size (and with this much time in it) the improvement in flight characteristics from counter rotation are worth it to me.

wilmracer

Mentor
still lets you do some really aggressive bench testing with one set, all the way to the breaking point if need be

So something I haven't been able to find on the monster radial is the MAX amp or Watts, so I definitely want to do some hard testing. In the end I expect I'll have a pretty "light" setup that doesn't over stress anything but I do want to have plenty of power on hand just in case.

Chuppster

So something I haven't been able to find on the monster radial is the MAX amp or Watts, so I definitely want to do some hard testing. In the end I expect I'll have a pretty "light" setup that doesn't over stress anything but I do want to have plenty of power on hand just in case.

I don't have an FT radial but if I got one I'd start with a setup that pulls around 1.2KW on 6s, then see how warm it gets. This is the same size motor as the Tacon Bigfoot 60, it just has a bit more KV so it should handle a few more watts.

My gestimation numbers say that on 6s the 16" 3 blades will be dangerous and the 15" 3 blades will be borderline on the high end.