1:9 Scale B-17G - 'Sweet Pea'

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Anywhere near FT's home state of Ohio???

I'm in northern VA, about 4 or 5 hours from Flite Fest / Flite Test. Rockyboy and willsonman are both local to me (Rockyboy is actually my local club president).
Still a LONG way from rivets though.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I'm in northern VA, about 4 or 5 hours from Flite Fest / Flite Test. Rockyboy and willsonman are both local to me (Rockyboy is actually my local club president).
Still a LONG way from rivets though.
Darn, I just met up with rockyboy to buy a plane off of him when I went to a wedding down there, you better plan this party around my spring break vacation:LOL::LOL:

wilmracer

Mentor
Fabricating the struts. My thought is that the aluminum block can function as the trunnion /rotation point. The strut itself extends into the block. The plate that was included with the strut to attach it as a fixed gear is bolted to the aluminum block and the toe-in can be adjusted with the tightening screw. The 1/2" aluminum round bar stock will be secured with a set screw and then set into bearings that will allow for rotation. Should be plenty strong enough even if I get up to the 50lb range (Which I really hope I don't).

Now to get this moving!

Attachments

• 20180822_185733.jpg
    20180822_185733.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180822_192217.jpg
    20180822_192217.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180822_192226.jpg
    20180822_192226.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 0

wilmracer

Mentor
More progress on the gear prototype. Wheel is a 6" Sullivan Sky Airflight that I've added real bearings to. Super smooth and looks pretty good IMO. In the end I want a more scale hub but for now I'm happy with it. You can see the pillow blocks I'm using for this prototype. These will work for a final version but they are heavier than I would like. I'll be keeping an eye out for lighter versions but if I can't find one this will absolutely be strong enough.

Attachments

• Gear_Progress.jpg
    Gear_Progress.jpg
    910.8 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That is awesome. Rockyboy should steal this mechanism for the FW42 and hook it up to them shocks I sent hehe.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That is awesome. Rockyboy should steal this mechanism for the FW42 and hook it up to them shocks I sent hehe.

I like the idea, but the FW-42's already a two year project and I'm going to make her fly before it become a three year project. :p

wilmracer

Mentor
I like the idea, but the FW-42's already a two year project and I'm going to make her fly before it become a three year project. :p

And I can't wait to see her fly. I'll be at the field at the drop of a hat...