1:9 Scale B-17G - 'Sweet Pea'

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, Kevlar would be less susceptible to heat and maybe add a bit of spring too but not so much that I'd be concerned. Now that you mention it... that would probably be fine and even reduce a touch of weight.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Busy start to what will be a VERY busy (but exciting) job. My moment of zen last night, after getting the kid down and catching up on emails, was cutting and prepping hotwire templates to cut the wing saddle into the fuse. I've been debating when in the build process to tackle this, but it will be pretty soon now. Cutting the saddle will give me access to the steering servo and let me work out the rudder pull/pull system

I'll likely get the saddle cut and while I have the bow out cut what will probably be a temporary center wing section from a solid block of foam. I can sheet that and use it to build up the wing saddle and filets and work out wing attachment before starting on the real thing.

So much to do, but one baby step at a time

Attachments

• 20190924_062942.jpg
    20190924_062942.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190924_062926.jpg
    20190924_062926.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

wilmracer

Mentor
So I didn't get the wing core cut tonight but I did pull out the bow and carefully rough out the wing saddle. Getting pretty close to sanding the foam and sheeting with balsa. I'll need to check the fiberglass supply too. This is going to take a LOT.

Attachments

• 20190924_220152.jpg
    20190924_220152.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190924_220205.jpg
    20190924_220205.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

wilmracer

Mentor
Minimal progress and no pictures from last night. I need to get some tools back from my brother or I would have finished getting the rudder hinged, but it got the rudder leading edge shaped and cut in the slots for the pin hinges. I need my handheld drill back so I can fit the hinges into the hard points. I also spent some time brainstorming the rudder linkages. Hopefully I'll have that worked out and functional by the end of the weekend. I want that done before any sheeting takes place in case I need to cut in temporary access hatches to route stuff.

Baby steps... but onward!

wilmracer

Mentor
More baby steps tonight. After a lot of head scratching I couldn't find a method that I felt good about to run both the tailwheel and rudder from a single servo. I'm opting to install a separate rudder servo but will use pull/pull and installed the servo even further forward in the fuse than the steering servo. I'll us some guides installed in along the top surface in strategic spots to keep the cables running smooth. It is a compromise but one I think will be ok.

Attachments

• 20190926_214153.jpg
    20190926_214153.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

wilmracer

Mentor
So the new gig is proving to be VERY demanding. I'm not complaining... the work is interesting but the pace is a bit exhausting and I haven't had much chance to build in October. I expect as I get more familiar with the job I'll be efficient enough to have a few hours left for building once in a while.

I took a mental health day yesterday with the intention of sleeping in and then finishing the rudder setup so I can move on. The misses pulled a pretty "clever" move and showed up at lunch time with a big load of sod and dirt/compost to fill an area where we had a tree removed this week. There was a bit of the passive-aggressive "I'll do it myself on my lunch break... I wouldn't want you to work on your day off" thing. So of course I ended up laying down sod in the rain for a few hours and then headed to the Halloween event at my daughter's school.

I did manage to get a few things done though. The rudder will be driven by a music wire "direct drive" arm that sits tightly in a plywood pocket. The music wire runs through a nosewheel bracket and is brazed to a brass control arm that will accept the pull-pull cables. I have some minor tweaking to do to adjust the pivot points for the hinges and round off the leading edge of the rudder but once that is done and I have the cables run to the servo I'll be able to install the horizontal stab and then shape and sheet the fuselage as it sits now.

I also made the decision to order some additional detail parts from wingspan models. This includes the turrets with glass, nose cone, turbo chargers, and a number of other detail parts. I had wanted to do all of these myself for printing but I don't think I'll have the time anytime soon.

Attachments

• 20191031_132740.jpg
    20191031_132740.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191031_132831.jpg
    20191031_132831.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191031_132906.jpg
    20191031_132906.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191031_224611.jpg
    20191031_224611.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191031_224631.jpg
    20191031_224631.jpg
    944.2 KB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
Hey..... At least you get to PAY for the things you need for this incredible Build.
I'd give anything to be able to work again! 😖😞

Of course that takes away valuable Hobby time, but you're squeezing as much in as you can!! 👍👍
Really can't wait to see this leave the Ground, like many others...
And I know that YOU are on the top of the list!!

wilmracer

Mentor
Hey..... At least you get to PAY for the things you need for this incredible Build.

I hear ya. I know working beats the alternative. That being said I had HOPED to be able to design most of the parts for printing and then put them out there online for anyone to use for free, making big B-17s more approachable and affordable for everyone. I wouldn't expect many folks to go THIS big, but if/when the FT guys release that master series 17 that's shown up a few times it would have been nice to have some printables that could be used with it too. The cockpit will be there, and I'll have the Wright Cyclone R1820-97 dummy radials and the Browning ANM2 .50 cal guns, but I'd hoped to have the turbochargers, exhausts, cheek bulges, and turrets too, plus detailed bombardier area. May still have to focus on that as I don't think anyone sells that today. I also wanted to have printable "molds" for the clear plastic sections that could be used for a few pulls on a vacuum former. The nose in particular is a bit daunting with the complex shape.

About a month ago I got together with all of the family for my Grandmother's 90th birthday and a lot of the family is really excited to see the project too.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
NINETY!! Bless her!! That's awesome.

All I'm hearing is rumors about the 17.... I'm hearing 1/16th, 1/20th, 1/25th....
Either way I expect her to be pretty big!
Not 1/9th BIG, but big. I'm guessing that it has to work with 4 C Pack Motors. I really can't wait - even if I can't afford to buy it. 😯😞 And HOW much is a Quadruple Power Pack C going to be??

I'm pretty sure John's next release will be the P-51...
BUT, he's deep in development on a Large F-16!!
(Exciting for me, because I worked on the Avionics in the Air Force) I may have to rob a Bank to get that one!! 😜😋
I saw her flying... SMOOTH, fast AND slow.

But I always see COMPLETED B-17s in EVERY Video! It's got to be ready to go soon.

I'll want the dummy Radials, Guns and Superchargers at least. Will they be on Thingiverse?
Hopefully I can get someone to Print them for me.

wilmracer

Mentor
I'll want the dummy Radials, Guns and Superchargers at least. Will they be on Thingiverse?
Hopefully I can get someone to Print them for me.

They could use 4 of those monster radials they have :)

The guns are already on thingiverse, although I'll probably do a V2 version with some tweaks at some point. I have a few radials on there that could work, but they aren't the RIGHT ones for the B-17 so I will be doing those.

https://www.thingiverse.com/wilmracer/designs

PoorManRC

Master member
They could use 4 of those monster radials they have :)

The guns are already on thingiverse, although I'll probably do a V2 version with some tweaks at some point. I have a few radials on there that could work, but they aren't the RIGHT ones for the B-17 so I will be doing those.

https://www.thingiverse.com/wilmracer/designs
The Radials may not be right for the 17.... But they might suffice for some things I'm doing. Are they sized to fit in a standard FT sized Cowl.... If there is such a thing? Like would it fit in the Duck or Guinea Pig?

wilmracer

Mentor
The Radials may not be right for the 17.... But they might suffice for some things I'm doing. Are they sized to fit in a standard FT sized Cowl.... If there is such a thing? Like would it fit in the Duck or Guinea Pig?

The radials I've done can be printed to fit the corsair and jug. I dont think they would print well at the size needed for the duck or Guinea pig. I used this radial on my duck and it worked perfectly: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2085491

wilmracer

Mentor
Pull/pull setup for rudder is complete. Slop free and has plenty of travel. I ran the extensions for the elevator servos and did a test fit of the stab last night but didn't get to secure it yet. I wanted to be certain everything was 100% square and aligned before gluing.

There will be a few evenings of sanding/shaping the foam and then I should be able to start balsa sheeting it and blending everything. I will also start building the box for hotwiring the center wing section in the next week or two.

Attachments

• 20191102_150352.jpg
    20191102_150352.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191103_213713.jpg
    20191103_213713.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191103_213653.jpg
    20191103_213653.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
Pull/pull setup for rudder is complete. Slop free and has plenty of travel. I ran the extensions for the elevator servos and did a test fit of the stab last night but didn't get to secure it yet. I wanted to be certain everything was 100% square and aligned before gluing.

There will be a few evenings of sanding/shaping the foam and then I should be able to start balsa sheeting it and blending everything. I will also start building the box for hotwiring the center wing section in the next week or two.
PROGRESS!!!
This is so far above my pay grade! 😳
So impressive! 👋👋👋👋

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
When the snows hit will you be testing this for emergency belly landings by using it as a toboggan? o_O

that just keeps getting bigger and bigger everytime I catch up on this thread. It looks awesome and I am glad you are back in the working world even if progress on this has suffered a bit. Keep it going mate. This one will be famous in the RC world for sure.

wilmracer

Mentor
When the snows hit will you be testing this for emergency belly landings by using it as a toboggan? o_O

Pretty sure she wouldn't hold up to all the LBs I've packed on lately :p. I'm going to cross my fingers there are no belly landings in store for this one. I think I've removed a lot of the complicated, buggy parts of retractable landing gear so hopefully it is always 3 in the green :)

I did glue on the horizontal stab last night. Going to go back tonight and validate that it is fully secured and then start looking at the sanding and shaping needed before sheeting. MILES to go but any step in the right direction feels good.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just pokin fun at ya mate been gone a while and seeing the progress made on a screen I can actually SEE makes it that much more impressive.

6 inch cell phone screen is Ohh thats cool... 47 inch tv the wow factor rises exponentially.