$1 swappable trainer

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thank you. Also, I have a couple questions. Where is the CG located on the plane? Would simple dihedral have the same effect as polyhedral? Would I be able to put in polyhedral by cutting off a 4 or 5 inch piece of the the end of each wing tip, sanding a slight bevel to it, and reattaching it with hot glue?
Thanks again.
Cg is right at the high spot or bend in the wing.

Dihedral has roughly the same effect but can fly very differently. That one is a little harder to quantify just how differently though...

You can absolutely add poly that way!

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Cg is right at the high spot or bend in the wing.

Dihedral has roughly the same effect but can fly very differently. That one is a little harder to quantify just how differently though...

You can absolutely add poly that way!

Thank you.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I think I finally got around to getting everything together so I can write this up into an article. Except a build. Most of the build photos don't work on this thread and I lost the originals. But I don't think a build is necessary even though this is meant to be a first plane. Just some details explained.

Printable Plans:
One Sheet Swappable Trainer.png

Plans with measurements:
One Sheet Swappable Trainer plans.jpg

You do NOT need to print off these plans. The power pod, elevator, and rudder are identical to the FT Flyer plans and you can just use those plans if you have them cut out already.

The "A" on the plans are 1 and 5/16 inches. Basically, the fuselage is a total of 5" by 20" and the cut outs are identical to the power pod. The fuselage is a "B" fold so the power pod can slide into it. I didn't add measurements for the four slots for the power pod tabs because you can use the power pod to measure them out.

The wings are 11" by 20" with two score cuts to fold them up.

The wing tips are two 5" by 6" pieces. To make the angle you remove 1/4" of the inside of the rectangle as pictured.

Video:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Here is some edited video from my Hobby King HD Wing Camera mounted to the One Sheet Swappable Trainer. The video ended up all wavy, which I'm disappointed about. I was hoping to get some really good screen shots out of the video. The clouds where gorgeous. I was being bold and flew over the neighbors house. I flew directly over the farm buildings a lot.

I decided against adding music mostly out of laziness. I know it's not the most epic or amazing video and I probably should have made it shorter or done a better job with the editing, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I did get almost 14 minutes of flight time and I was flying at full throttle most of the time. Very respectable.