10' Ford Tri-Motor

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
IMG_0200.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0204.JPG

Weighed the aircraft this morning with almost RTF weight. 9.1 lbs. BUT.... It will take 2 lbs to get CG where it is suppose to be. That will make total weight somewhere around 11.5 lbs RTF with a 120" wingspan.

Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
First high speed taxi

Took the Tri Motor out this afternoon to do some taxi testing and possibly a maiden flight. It came off the ground MUCH sooner then I expected, resulting in a little over correction setting it back down. Only damage was one of the 3D printed landing gear fittings broke. No other damage. I could have fixed it at the field but didn't bring any spare fittings... guess I need to get printing. :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Awesome! Kind of looks like she wanted to do a ground loop on you. Double check that CG! 3D printed motors will add some forward weight but looks slightly tail-heavy to me.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I don't know if its an optical illusion because of the realistic paint job or the great details on the body work but it looks so solid, a thing with real heft (beyond the 9 lbs). Can't wait to see it in the air.

DamoRC

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Successful Maiden

Got the maiden flight in this afternoon. Camera angle was off a little, but still got it in the picture.

I need to redesign the landing gear fitting, or have it made out of aluminum... But that is a minor detail.
It Flew!! :D

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That was awesome! Even the landing looked scale! :p

Seriously dude, nicely done, start to finish. I can only hope my C-17 maiden goes off so well. ::eek::

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Congratulations! Nothing better than a successful maiden flight :) She looks great!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I'm thinking you are either holding back on the throttle to hide your true speed or maybe your looking to win the endurance race. Yes?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Fantastic. Sturdy landing gear is always a challenge for big foam airplanes. I'm sure you will get it sorted. The big positive here is how incredibly stable she flew and the lumbering giant effect is strong with this one! Really great work here.