10' Ford Tri-Motor

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Might want to give Rasterize a note. He may be able to do some amazing artwork that you can print out and super77 on as a skin.

I might reach out to him, but I know he is pretty busy with other Skins. ( as well as a Golden Age Pylon racer skin)

Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
What are you going to do for the engines? Did you have a dummy in mind or are you just going to wing it?

If you find/design a dummy engine which could be 3D printed I could probably run them off for you.

Thanks. I looked on thingiverse, but couldn't find any 9 cylinder, or even 7 cylinder radial engines in 1/8th scale. I found one on another site... I will see if I can use it.

Otherwise I will do like I did for the PT-17 and cut them out of layers of DTFB.

Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
One wing fitted.
IMG_0126.JPG

3D printed landing gear fittings.
IMG_0123.JPG

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
3D lab print released their PT-17 build videos and showed how their radial engine goes together. That should fit the bill just fine. Granted, the files are $20-$30, but you get awesome engines + a 3D printable stearman.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Indeed. Keith's radial looks perfect on my Sikorsky! (small version in my avatar ;) )

Attachments

• IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Fuzzy Whumpkin

Holy Cow!! i Literally JUST watched this yesterday and thought "i should look up what plane that is and see if anyone's made a good RC version"

brownie points for whoever knows the movie ;)

ij plane.JPG

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Holy Cow!! i Literally JUST watched this yesterday and thought "i should look up what plane that is and see if anyone's made a good RC version"

brownie points for whoever knows the movie ;)

Can do better than the movie! That aircraft is N9651 known as The "City of Philadelphia". It currently resides at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, Florida. Its notable appearance was in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Engine Nacelles

I got a little more done this weekend after finishing the Super Solution build video.

IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0165.JPG

WWagner

CaptBill I believe those would be the side pods for the tri motors. Beautiful work so far can't wait to see the finished product.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
What are the cones for? Did you turn them on a drill?

WWagner you are correct. Thanks for the complement.

CaptBill, I glued the rings together, then took a rasp and took the big edges off, then took a sanding block and sanded the rest down to what I wanted. they could both probably use a little more sanding before painting.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I remember seeing (and hearing) the Ford Trimotor flying over Las Vegas when I moved here in the 1970's. It was in use for many years by Grand Canyon Airlines for tours. You might be interested in some photo details.
http://www.grandcanyonairlines.com/equipment/the-ford-tri-motor/gallery
I'll be following your build with great interest!
Jon

Yes, I believe it is now housed at the Planes of Fame museum in Valle, just south of the Grand Canyon. :) At some point I may drive over and take a closer look at it.

CaptBill

WWagner you are correct. Thanks for the complement.

CaptBill, I glued the rings together, then took a rasp and took the big edges off, then took a sanding block and sanded the rest down to what I wanted. they could both probably use a little more sanding before painting.

Nice Job