10' Scratch Built Skyvan with dropper

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice build and maiden but most of the flight wasnt captured specially the drama at the end of the take off.

mountaindewdude76

After that maiden flight and successful landing, the motors were quite hot. They weren't super hot but they were hot enough that I didn't want to keep my fingers on them for very long. We get the Skyvan back to the shop and begin researching. We probably should have done the researching during the build, and not after, but hey....lessons learned.

We used two motors from a previous X-Class Quad build. They were Vondrone 4114-400kv motors on 8S. During our researching, we discovered that those motors put out about 502 watts of power with a 15x5.5CF prop on 6S (couldn't find any data for 8S numbers). Now...502 watts times two (two motors) is only 1004 combined watts. We weighed the Skyvan and it's a bulky 26 pounds. I actually find it quite amazing that the plane, at 26 pounds was able to get off the ground, at all, with the Vondrone motors. I imagine we were able to achieve rotation and flight because of the angle of attack that the wing has and the generous amount of lift that was produced from the airfoil shape.

I'd love to just be able to purchase two motors with mad power with cost not being an issue but.....cost is always an issue. After searching around a bit, we found that Value Hobby offers a motor that is equivalent to the Eflight Power60 motor. It's a GForce G60 brushless outrunner. According to the specs on the Value Hobby site, their G60 5065-400kv motor recommends an 80amp OPTO esc (which we have installed on the Skyvan) will spin a 14x10-16x10 electric prop on 6S and generate up to 1200 watts of power. So, we ordered two of these motors yesterday and hope to have them installed by this weekend.