10 year newb to RC... New forum member.... Hello :)

Pugle

Hi, on line I go by Pugle, but my name Is Paul. Been a Flite Test fan for many years now, and to be honest, I've never built one of your planes. I want to so badly, but when I first got into the hobby, it was with an older Futaba AM radio. I want the right radio equipment before I commit fully to the hobby. Lost 2 planes because of AM glitches. On my third. All three, Carl Goldberg Eagle II's (one as the original tri-gear, and two as tail draggers). I can say that that is a fantastic model for a beginner... so docile, but it's a big investment each time. I love that you folks make flying so affordable with foam board, and that you really support the community.

One plane I've been in love with for years is the PZL-104 Wilga. Watching what you can do with foam board, I would absolutely love to see you folks do a version of that... both a docile trainer, and a "Whacky Wilga" version. Happy to have joined the forum / community... and I have to say, you inspire me. As soon as I get a modern radio, I more than ever want to dive back into this hobby. Thanks for what you all do. Entertaining... educational, and inspirational. Please never stop! :)

Thanks again.
Paul, Ontario Canada

If your still looking for a new transmitter platform, I'd personally recommend the Tarranis Qx7 or one of the higher end Futaba raidos. You pay a pretty penny for the Futabas, but they are worth every penny.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome @Pugle. Happy to have you join up. If you are liking the affordable build side what is going to be your first FB build?

Pugle

If your still looking for a new transmitter platform, I'd personally recommend the Tarranis Qx7 or one of the higher end Futaba raidos. You pay a pretty penny for the Futabas, but they are worth every penny.
Thanks for the welcome... Looking at the DX-8. I like that it leaves the door open for expansion... the Futaba AM radio I have is just a 4 CH and it isn't programmable... Got into the game late and didn't know about FM and higher transmitters.

Pugle

Welcome @Pugle. Happy to have you join up. If you are liking the affordable build side what is going to be your first FB build?
Having a little bit of experience, and dealing with ailerons (my first Goldberg Eagle II I went with ailerons as my first plane... 4ch as a newb but glad I did) ... I really like the A-10, but have no experience with diff thrust. I also love the FT cub and Spitfire. I do have some experience, but still consider my self as a total newb.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Cub is marketed as a trainer plane but if you build it to spec you will be disappointed with it, so I hear, I haven't built it myself. If you wanna talk Spitfire I cannot say enough about it. Since you already have flight experience you would really enjoy the Spit. If you are looking for a twin motor design there are many great ones to choose from like the Cruiser, Bronco, Guinea Pig, all great planes. Or if you wanna go for the awesome, the Sea Duck. It's more of an involved build but man what a plane.

The Goldberg Eagle II is a biplane correct? I built the Baby Blender to somewhat of the same design specs as the Eagle, if I am thinking of the same plane. Here is my thread link if you wanna check it out: Baby Blender

The Spektrum DX8 is all the Tx you will ever need, awesome choice. Pro tip, stay away from the AR620 as a receiver. It is a cool idea but there are some bugs to work out of it yet. I have had 3 and switched over to Lemon brand Rx for the affordability to replace.

Pugle

Goldberg Eagle II is a high wing monoplane much like a Cessna. My first, I built as a tricycle gear, but #2 and #3 I built as tail draggers. The only model I've ever flown. But as an aileron trainer, you can't beat it in a production model. Mine was powered with a .25 then a .45 fuel engine. I'd like to see it as a foam board build from FT. AM glitches cost me my first two.... the third is still on the building block. I really need a good radio.... not old 72 / 76 MHz. I'm comfortable with 4 ch and ailerons. But I need something more durable. Once balsa and ply is crashed, it's done.
I still have my original Eagle II wing hanging on my wall. The fuse was to damaged to be repaired.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Goldberg Eagle II is a high wing monoplane much like a Cessna. My first, I built as a tricycle gear, but #2 and #3 I built as tail draggers. The only model I've ever flown. But as an aileron trainer, you can't beat it in a production model. Mine was powered with a .25 then a .45 fuel engine. I'd like to see it as a foam board build from FT. AM glitches cost me my first two.... the third is still on the building block. I really need a good radio.... not old 72 / 76 MHz. I'm comfortable with 4 ch and ailerons. But I need something more durable. Once balsa and ply is crashed, it's done.
I still have my original Eagle II wing hanging on my wall. The fuse was to damaged to be repaired.
A scaled up Commuter would be an easy transition but it is a bit more of a detailed build. If you take your time and follow the build vid a few times you might like it. Take a look through the build plans

Syro

I can second the Qx7. For $110, it's a fantastic radio that has a lot of programmability, and a module Bay for expansion.

Battle-axe has made a lot of recommendations, but I just built a Simple Scout. I'm new to planes (I do fpv quadcopters a lot) and this baby is butter smooth and super stable. I wish I had started with this plane instead of numerous wings.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I had the Simple Scout as well and he is right it is a smooth plane. Easy to build and easy to fly. I have had 2 Minis and the standard size and I liked all 3. Actually most of the planes fly trainer like out of the box because of the wing design. I tend to modify my planes a lot for either aesthetics, performance or convenience. There is some really good threads out if you are into coloring outside the lines. Some listed:
'SPIT' roasted FB
NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build
Life of the Simple Scout...
Exploring the Explorer
Nose mods on the FT Spitfire

Pugle

Thanks guys! New tip and hints. For me right now, the biggest setback is the radio. Mortgage is the priority, but I know, that's the biggest expenditure. Receivers and servos aren't expensive, and that's why I love FT so much. They make flying so affordable. Too, there are so many possibilities with what they offer... plans and even speed build kits. Foam board is so inexpensive that's why I'm not afraid to go out of my comfort zone. I stuck with that Eagle II because it's a great trainer, but it's not cheap. Now I have so many choices. Syro... the QX7 Multi model capable? I haven't looked into it yet. NVM... just looked. I like it, and it's definitely affordable. That's the obsticle for me... affordability. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks guys! New tip and hints. For me right now, the biggest setback is the radio. Mortgage is the priority, but I know, that's the biggest expenditure. Receivers and servos aren't expensive, and that's why I love FT so much. They make flying so affordable. Too, there are so many possibilities with what they offer... plans and even speed build kits. Foam board is so inexpensive that's why I'm not afraid to go out of my comfort zone. I stuck with that Eagle II because it's a great trainer, but it's not cheap. Now I have so many choices. Syro... the QX7 Multi model capable? I haven't looked into it yet. NVM... just looked. I like it, and it's definitely affordable. That's the obsticle for me... affordability. Thanks for the tip.
If price is the issue then the QX7 is 100% the way to go, the receiver are cheap for them, they have great range as a basic module, and the upgrades you can do to it are absolutely crazy! Pretty much for the entire setup its about $130 and a solid radio. https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-q-x7.html https://alofthobbies.com/qx7-charger-kit.html

Bricks

Master member
If you do not mind a used radio as I have never purchased a new radio you can watch these threads https://www.rcgroups.com/classifieds-201/ I have purchased numerous radios and parts and saved a ton of money. I have a extra Spektrum DX9 with case and manual that I got in a trade if you are interested send me a PM, might be a little more then you want to spend but a very good deal.