100 dollar tricopter?

QCPILOT

So i got 100 dollars to build a tricopter but i only have 100 bucks. i have the transmitter and battery. So is it possible to do it or do i need more cash?

I just built one and spent about $90, I made a wooden frame and designed my own tail swivel. so it can be done but it will be tight. I would allow yourself about another $30 - $50 just to be safe in case you dont have alot of small spare parts laying around like I did.

QCPILOT

I just built one and spent about $90, I made a wooden frame and designed my own tail swivel. so it can be done but it will be tight. I would allow yourself about another $30 - $50 just to be safe in case you dont have alot of small spare parts laying around like I did.

What do you mean spare parts? like motors?

Liemavick

Mentor
Wire, connectors, shrink wrap, nuts and bolts, zip ties, battery strap, etc... ya know all the little stuff that adds up and eats 25% of your budget. Then you need the usual stuff, A body, wooden dowels, control board, 3 motors, 3 ESC's, ESC programming card (optional, but recommended) Props, prop adapters, a better then average servo with metal gears, mine was $20. You also have to decide what kind of tilt control you want. The cheapest one to make is David W.'s (RCExplorer.se). Like mentioned above if you have some of the stuff laying around already you may squeak in for $100, but $150+ would be more realistic.

QCPILOT, I extras I refer to are what Limeavick said wood screws zipties, the $80 I layed out was for motors ESCs servo control board and connectors all the major stuff. I made my frame out of wood and had most of it laying around, I also had the radio receiver and battery so no cost there either. I used the small 24 gram motors from HK and made mine light and compact the frame is only 20" wide and about 18" long so the motors had more than enough power, if you look at the anycopter video the FT guys made you can see that is what they on those.

Mustang7302

I just spent $125 on tools for building:
  • 80W Soldering Iron
  • Soldering Iron Holder
  • Tub of Flux
  • Helping Hands, with Magnifying Glass
  • Hot Glue Gun, with Glue Sticks
  • Six Outlet Power Strip, with Six Foot Chord
  • Set of Pliers, Cutters, and Mini Screwdrivers
  • 24"x36" Cutting Mat, with Measurement Grid
  • 25 Feet of 1/4" Braided Cable Sleeve
That doesn't include the tools I already have:
  • Heat Gun
  • Solder
  • Drill Press
  • Cordless Drill
  • Drill Bits
  • Packing Tape
  • Scotch Tape
  • Painters Tape
  • Electrical Tape
  • Double Sided Duct Tape
Things I still need off the top of head too:
  • 6" Black Zip/Cable Ties
  • Super Glue
  • Utility Knife
  • Razor Blades
  • 36" Metal Straight Edge

None of this include things like heat shrink, connectors, extra wire, assorted screws and nuts too. So getting into the hobby to build has a lot of expenses past just the air frame, electronics, and power equipment; though once you have the tools you're typically not going to spend more on them again.