100 Hour Replacement build; Das Ugly Stik

L Edge

Master member
You brought back the old days with that model you re-conditioned. Had one with no dihedral, it would do the sportsman pattern maneuvers with no problem and the only difference was it was built with a tricycle gear.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Did you finish to fix it? Did it fly since then)
There was no real damage I just had the Power pod securing skewers slide in too much and allow the front of the powerpod to become loose. I haven't flown it since but it will return after I clear some of my build commitments. Flies great and not real damage!

Just bad weather and a lack of time!

Have fun!

Sven

Awesome job, and great looking plane.

My first ever RC plane was a nitro Ugly Stik. Sad when that one died. I want to build a FB version, like you did.

Minwax? What is this arcane topical? :)

If you have a minute, would you explain the minwax application and why you do it? You also talk about sealing the FB, how and why does one do that?

-Steve

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Minwax is actually a brand name for a wipe on polyurethane varnish. It is oil based and I normally use a local equivalent but use the term Minwax because I use a variety of different brands available easily and locally.

The sealing is to provide a barrier to moisture and even later paint solvents from attacking the structural bonds within the paper, the paper to foam bonding an finally the underlying foam layer itself. If not sealed the paper can absorb water from the air and soften or even come loose from the foam spoiling the appearance and even the performance.

You can skip the sealing if you use water based paints of cheap rattle can paints using many light coats with much time to allow them to dry completely between coats but I use the Minwax sealing to allow me to apply single and rather heavy coats in a single application, (I get a little impatient to see it airborne!

The subject plane is still flying and so far the only real incident was allowing a student have a fly of it and she stalled on landing and broke a prop, (no other damage so far in around 70 odd flights).

Have fun!

Jerryf

I built your Das Ugly Foamie stik from plans I downloaded from FlightTest. After many flights the wing came off ( I reused some old bands) and the fuselage is now in many poieces. Unfortuantely the link to the plans has been removed. Could you send a link to your new plans for the 100 hour replacement build?

Thank you,
Jerry