1000 pilots at FFO2018!?!

techbear

I just got a flite test email, with deetz about the reg tent moving to the center of the event this year. But it also sez they've preregistered nearly 1000 pilots!

Will anybody be able to fly with a clean radio signal? Will we have to take turns on the flight line? Will we need air traffic controllers?

rcbif

June 16th last year they had 900 pre-registered, and we're a bit past that so numbers aren't that much greater.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Will anybody be able to fly with a clean radio signal?

Maybe. There is a chance you will occasionally loose signal during peak times, but that is part of the fun. That is why they say "Bring the friends and family you love and the planes you don't."

Will we have to take turns on the flight line?

This is not really a thing that happens at Flite Fest. It is more of a free-for-all on the flight line, but a spotter is strongly encouraged/required. Announce your intentions loudly and have spotter's head on swivel for runway obstacles.

Will we need air traffic controllers?

See first answer quote. But not everyone will be flying at the same time. Even the world record in 2016 didn't have half that many flying.

It will be a blast! See ya there!
Cheers!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I wouldn't say exactly that it's a free-for-all other than the combat events. During regular open/fun fly times, pilots are *required* to have a spotter and be at a pilot station, that should be marked by a sign. Only one pilot per station, but there are many stations. You just may need to wait for a station to free up, but that won't take long with most electric models at FliteFest!

Liam B

Yes, from what I've heard, pilot stations will be more of a thing than past years. So I wouldn't be worried about RF except for combat, which is where I've had all my failsafes!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Indeed, Pilot stations, spotters, etiquette, a que, are all things we will be working on this year. The event has gotten far too big to have a reliably safe experience so we are going to be enforcing all of these adjustments.