1000x1000mm C Beam ACME Driven CNC

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
After having parts for my 100" PBY cut out by Todd and Keven at Flite Fest on their CNC machines, I had to build one of my own. Having parts cut out by machine is way, way nicer than by hand.

After some talking with Todd about his machine (an Openbuilds Ox), and what he might think about upgrading, I started searching around for a machine that would cut foam, but could also handle aluminum or even very light steel work, and had a wider working area.

After some browsing on google and the openbuilds.com forums, I came across the SMW3D R7.

https://sites.google.com/site/smw3dr7/home

R7-full.png

It's 1000x1000, uses the stronger C-Beam aluminum extrusions, uses standard openbuilds parts, is ACME driven, and can carry an 800watt water cooled spindle.

Parts for my machine should arrive this Thursday, and in preparation I've been building a table for it to go on. Saw a flip table on the web, and decided to build my own version using 2x4's, 2x6's, a couple sheets of 3/4" MDF and a piece of 1.5x.120 tubing to use for the swivel point. Being able to flip the table and gain a nice flat working area will save a ton of space.

Drew things up in Sketchup first:

FlipTableWithCNC1.jpg
FlipTableWithCNC2.jpg

Then grabbed up supplies from Home Depot and started building.

CNCFlipTable0.png
CNCFlipTable1.png
CNCFlipTable2.png
CNCFlipTable3.png
CNCFlipTable4.png
CNCFlipTable5.png

I changed things a little bit from my original design to stiffen things up, but overall it's pretty close. Here's a link to the Sketchup file for the table for anybody that's interested.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByQNh9_cWpIsblBad0lLVk5XQ2s

Only thing left to do on the table is install power outlets. I'm going to have a couple of switched outlets so I can shut things down manually if I need to, and several standard outlets on both sides of the table for whatever I might need. This table will serve as a workbench as well, so I'll at least need a spot to plug in my glue gun. :cool:

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
If it's also to be a workbench, you might want to coat or finish the MDF surface. I remember that stuff is sorta "fuzzy". Seems like the natural enemy of hot glue..

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Yeah, probably going to put on several coats of sanding sealer or polycrylic. I live in the desert, so humidity won't be an issue, but better safe than sorry. I think the workbench side of the table will be getting a self healing cutting board of some type fixed in place.

When I mount the CNC, I'll probably be putting another layer of MDF to make replacing it easier when it's worn out.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Love the table! Man I'm super jealous that you're getting this all setup. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Love the table! Man I'm super jealous that you're getting this all setup. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks man. Been wanting something to cut foam for a while, and after Flite Fest I couldn't resist anymore. Todd and Kevin's CNC cutters were just too cool.

Hopefully I'll get more projects actually finished this way. I love designing and building, but cutting parts is certainly less fun than the rest.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Nice! Look forward to seeing how that flip table works out for you. Has me wishing I had thought of that before building the table for my MPCNC as I really need some good workspace. But the MPCNC has to be so big to get the working area I need for cutting foam sheets I'd have to rebuild the whole table larger to pull that off...and I'm not sure I could still fit the table in my shop after doing that :D

I'm also planning on building a couple of storage cabinets on wheels to go under the table and overbuilding them with some kind of locking setup on the wheels so I can pull them out and use their tops as a worktable or to support a larger work surface. So if I follow through on those plans I'd have to move those anytime I wanted to flip the table.

Yeah, love the idea but don't think it would work for my situation unfortunately :(

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Nice! Look forward to seeing how that flip table works out for you. Has me wishing I had thought of that before building the table for my MPCNC as I really need some good workspace. But the MPCNC has to be so big to get the working area I need for cutting foam sheets I'd have to rebuild the whole table larger to pull that off...and I'm not sure I could still fit the table in my shop after doing that :D

I don't have room for my table either. :black_eyed: Though I did buy a 40' reefer trailer at auction last year for $1000, and I think it's going to become my workshop. Not a bad deal at all, seeing as how the diesel engine is still good, and the thing is built mostly out of aluminum.

This isn't mine, but I'm planning to put a door on the side like this one has:

56533ba79b94b9f1eac3e52c7e017e6f.jpg

I'll pull off the big refrigeration unit, and either sell it, or hook a generator up to the motor. Then I can put a cheapo wall AC unit in it's place. Should make for a decent workshop. I can mount all the noisy things like air compressors, vacuums and such underneath on the suspension and work in peace.

Crazy Goats

that looks great localfiend! I will definately be following the build. it was so cool to see those machines cutting away at Flite Fest. I saw you too but didnt get time to meet you.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
that looks great localfiend! I will definately be following the build. it was so cool to see those machines cutting away at Flite Fest. I saw you too but didnt get time to meet you.

Yeah, it was pretty crazy to find CNC machines sitting in the middle of a corn field. :cool:

I was stupid busy at FF. Spent most of my time in the build tents working on the PBY or volunteering. Hopefully I'll be a little more social next year and have time to walk around and check everything out.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Got all the power stuff installed. I have one switched outlet, and then three more double boxes with constant on power outlets.

Wiring2.jpg

Will be nice having 14 places to plug something in.

I'm going to add another 2x6 underneath where I cut the holes for the power boxes just to make sure things stay solid.

Now the only thing left is to seal up the MDF, which I might start tonight.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Now I'm as intrigued/excited by your shop project as your CNC project :D

I have a couple friends who got really good deals on used shipping containers they use for storage sheds, and I know people have used them to build houses...but haven't seen any in person that were used for more than storage yet. Not really an option anymore, the county passed an ordinance against them because of how many were showing up around here - they grandfathered in the ones people already had but not allowed to keep them on property permanently anymore :( I suspect your trailer would be equally frowned upon here.

There is a surprising about of space in them...just not very wide.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can make most of your money back on that thing selling off the refer equipment, killer deal!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Now I'm as intrigued/excited by your shop project as your CNC project :D

I have a couple friends who got really good deals on used shipping containers they use for storage sheds, and I know people have used them to build houses...but haven't seen any in person that were used for more than storage yet. Not really an option anymore, the county passed an ordinance against them because of how many were showing up around here - they grandfathered in the ones people already had but not allowed to keep them on property permanently anymore :( I suspect your trailer would be equally frowned upon here.

There is a surprising about of space in them...just not very wide.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can make most of your money back on that thing selling off the refer equipment, killer deal!

Yeah, I think I could probably make money on the deal, the kubota engine still seems to be good, and is worth more than $1000 just as a core. I wasn't even shopping for a full trailer at the auction, but no one was bidding so.... :cool:

I've got 5 acres to put it on. I figure I'll put it in the back of the property, surround it with trees, and the neighbors will have no reason to complain. Though, I live in farm country, so being shiny makes it high class to start with. :D

I put one coat of Shellac sealer onto the MDF last night. I used most of the quart container I had, and I only did the upper pieces. It really soaked the stuff up, and I only put enough on to get rid of the dry spots. Might grab a couple more quarts to do the rest. Hopefully that will give me some protection. I can always paint the whole table once stuff is sealed as well.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Parts got here today, so I spent most of the evening building. Things are coming along pretty well, though I did run into problems with tolerances on one of my Y gantry plates. Things are off enough that it will need to be replaced. So, probably no cutting this weekend, but I'm going to try and get everything else finished.

I think there's over a hundred bearing in in this build. Kinda fun putting stuff together though.

CNCYPlate.jpg

Spindle is gigantic and heavy. I don't think foam will be any problem. ;)

CNCSpindle.jpg

Todd Optional

Man that's looking AWESOME!! It's like a big erector set, ton's of fun to put together. I'm very excited to see others getting involved in CNC for cutting foam (and other sutff :) ).. Your gonna have a blast when this puppy is up and running :cool:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Man that's looking AWESOME!! It's like a big erector set, ton's of fun to put together. I'm very excited to see others getting involved in CNC for cutting foam (and other sutff :) ).. Your gonna have a blast when this puppy is up and running :cool:

It's all your fault man. You cost me a ton of money. ;)

It's been a lot of fun putting everything together so far.
I think I'll be getting to the electronics stage today. Gonna work on wiring up the motors and board and getting the initial programming done.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This machine looks awesome.

Sorry to bother.... any updates?

I've been so busy playing with this thing that I haven't updated the thread. :cool:

When I get a chance I'll try and do an overview of what it took to program the controller board, tuning, what cutting tools I'm using, and how to prepare plans for CNC cutting. Won't be till next week though.

I also need to finish organizing the electronics & wiring into the table. Got bunch of packages today with an enclosure for my controller board, some grommets, fans, and other stuff I'll need to permanently fix everything to the flip table.

RAGII

What are you using for bit, feed rate, rpm? I was thinking of experimenting with a Dremel for cutting some foam.