1000x1000mm C Beam ACME Driven CNC

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Yeah, I need more light in the garage, but I still thought it was cool to see something detailed cut out.

I've been able to really increase cutting speed and get better quality cuts using a .03125 4 flute endmill. Running the spindle at 18,000 RPM and cutting at 175 inches per minute.

Bit's I'm using come from Performance Micro Tool www.pmtnow.com part # ET-4-0312-C.

DarkFire

wow! This is awesome!! Just casually sitting here wondering how much that setup cost. Most likely way out of my price range, but you know......:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Dark

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Sorry guys, didn't see your questions until now. Been distracted

Hi
You have not mentioned the software that you use? Any hints there?
Thanks

I use a combination of different things depending on what I'm doing.

Inkscape is useful for taking PDF plans from other peoples designs, like the Flite Test stuff and converting it to .dxf.

I use DoubleCAD XT for drawing my own designs, and for editing dxf's to get them ready for the CNC.

CamBam is what I'm using for taking the prepared dxf's and generating the g-code that tells the CNC exactly what to do.

I think I'm going to take some random airplane parts and make a video showing my whole process from computer to cut part.

wow! This is awesome!! Just casually sitting here wondering how much that setup cost. Most likely way out of my price range, but you know......:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Dark

This setup is expensive and massive overkill for foamboard. You could do the same thing for 2/3 to 1/2 the cost of my machine. I wanted to have the ability to machine metal, and that's where all the extra money comes in. I spent a bit over 2 grand to get everything up and going.

Todd "Optional" on the board here, and Kevin Matusik are working on their open source Rascal CNC design. I think they're working on the final prototype. Their goal is to get an easy to build CNC machine for cutting foam and light wood with a price point around or under $500.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
maybe i just cant find it on that website, but where did you order the parts from?