10x5E prop on simple cub with C motor. Every try it?

CheckMySix

Wanna do some experimenting with Props on my Cubbie. Was at the local hobby shop today, always gotta pick up some props cause no such thing as too many...lol. I've been using the recommended 9x4.5 for the B motor. Since I've upgrade to the C motor I want to see what a bigger prop and bigger pitch will do or if I'll even notice.

Curious what y'all have done, tries. Still have the 35amp ESC in it and running the 3S 1550 tattu batteries. Don't have a way, yet, to see what current I'm pulling. Not sure what the best purchase would be or to use.

Just added a tail wheel to the rudder. Used an old tail wheel from a parkzone corsair. Hoping to works out. Had to add tail weight anyway.,was nosing over on landings. Don't have my 3 point landings down just yet. 🤪 Did do some reading last night though from the FAA on best practices for tail draggers. Some interesting stuff. Like, always use full stick back on taxi and roll out to help keep pressure and weight on the tail wheel for control. Very counterintuitive after having PPL training in a Cessna 172 tricycle gear.

Gotta love hot glue and pushing a steal rod into foamboard!
The bolt you may notice...lol... I had that original on top just before the vertical stabilizer. It really settled down landings. Gave just enough weight to keep from nosing over on landings. But, after some reading some better piloting technic should help with that too.
Might need to find a softer wheel too. This one is old and pretty hard making it pretty bouncy on taxi testing. It's all good fun. Having a blast with this cubbie.

Wanna go multi prop next build, can't decide on the cruiser or Guinea Pig. The GP looks like too much fun.

Attachments

• 20191129_130916.jpg
    20191129_130916.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191129_130822.jpg
    20191129_130822.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191129_130921.jpg
    20191129_130921.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191129_163024.jpg
    20191129_163024.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

FastCrash45

Elite member
Wanna do some experimenting with Props on my Cubbie. Was at the local hobby shop today, always gotta pick up some props cause no such thing as too many...lol. I've been using the recommended 9x4.5 for the B motor. Since I've upgrade to the C motor I want to see what a bigger prop and bigger pitch will do or if I'll even notice.

Curious what y'all have done, tries. Still have the 35amp ESC in it and running the 3S 1550 tattu batteries. Don't have a way, yet, to see what current I'm pulling. Not sure what the best purchase would be or to use.

Just added a tail wheel to the rudder. Used an old tail wheel from a parkzone corsair. Hoping to works out. Had to add tail weight anyway.,was nosing over on landings. Don't have my 3 point landings down just yet. 🤪 Did do some reading last night though from the FAA on best practices for tail draggers. Some interesting stuff. Like, always use full stick back on taxi and roll out to help keep pressure and weight on the tail wheel for control. Very counterintuitive after having PPL training in a Cessna 172 tricycle gear.

Gotta love hot glue and pushing a steal rod into foamboard!
The bolt you may notice...lol... I had that original on top just before the vertical stabilizer. It really settled down landings. Gave just enough weight to keep from nosing over on landings. But, after some reading some better piloting technic should help with that too.
Might need to find a softer wheel too. This one is old and pretty hard making it pretty bouncy on taxi testing. It's all good fun. Having a blast with this cubbie.

Wanna go multi prop next build, can't decide on the cruiser or Guinea Pig. The GP looks like too much fun.
I think you'll notice a speed increase depending on how much weight the gear adds to it. This also means it will have to fly faster with extra weight of the larger motor and gear. The 35a esc should work fine with the set up too. I personally think you'll be pleased with the set up.

CheckMySix

I think you'll notice a speed increase depending on how much weight the gear adds to it. This also means it will have to fly faster with extra weight of the larger motor and gear. The 35a esc should work fine with the set up too. I personally think you'll be pleased with the set up.

Just did a bench test and wow! What I really noticed was the torque! Seriously considering shimming between the motor mount and firewall to try and counter it a bit. It was amazing on my old parkzone corsair how the molded motor mount was off from center to compensate for torque.

I was watch a old doc on warbirds and it was either the P40 or P47 that they actually put the vertical stabilizer a couple degrees off to the side for cruise speed. Had to deal or trim for it for tskeoff/landing and high speed but just the 2° made it track better at optimal cruise speed. Pretty interesting.

Yea, think I'm gonna have fun with this. Maybe a little more rudder trim eh...lol.

CheckMySix

Field test was successful. Man did I have some torque to the left with that bigger prop. But, I really liked the prop.
Tried out a 9×6 after that. Works well.
Last night, I added a couple of small washers/shims (0.7mm / 0.03") between the motor mount and firewall to the left side to try and counter the torque. Worked better than expected actually. She was pulling to the right on takeoff. Didn't expect that much lol. So, I pulled one washer out and left the one and I'm really happy with it. I'll still crank left when I gun the throttle but I'm already use to it. I like the balance now on takeoffs. Don't need so much right rudder now.

Started playing today with a cheap Fatshark FPV. My first time. What a trip man. Let's just say I'm glad I had a buddy spotting for me. Things can get a bit wonky fast at first. Even better, had a 12 year old kid following me and recording his camera on my goggles. Bloody kid is a great pilot. Was on me like white on rice. Dunno if I like this kid or hate him now...lol.
The fatshark recon with camera was a cheap deal for $109 and I knew it wasn't gonna be high end. Figured it would be a good start to get my feet wet... or dirty lol. Great thing about where I fly when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll be able to pawn this rig off for $60 to a newbie.😛😁.

Man...if only we had this stuff when I was 12 yrs old. We dreamed of stuff like this. That's what I was telling the kid, sounding like an even older man...lol. he doesn't know how lucky he is!

Attachments

• 20191201_173826.jpg
    20191201_173826.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

CheckMySix

So, pushing the limits and tried a 11x5.5 prop and WHOA DOCTOR!!! Is that fun or what! She handled it beautifully. Battery gets a tad warm after a hard 12 minutes. ESC finally had a touch of warmth but just a touch. C motor is just fine. It is about 70° out today so, maybe wouldn't go this way in a Phoenix spring of about 90° but...its gonna be a fine winter.
I can just climb straight up further than my eyes can see. But, if I wanna go any bigger, I'm gonna need bigger wheels lol. Have about an inch clearance with the tail up on the ground. Now I need a radar gun to know how fast she's cooking!

Attachments

• 20191205_125005.jpg
    20191205_125005.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191205_125017.jpg
    20191205_125017.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191205_132024.jpg
    20191205_132024.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0