12 year old interested in flying

Tabeeb

Hello, my name is tabeeb and a couple years back I stumbled across the hobby community. I loved the idea of racing quads and have been interested ever since. Only problem is, as a 12 year old, financing is a tough job. If anyone has a spare quad lying around it would be greatly appreciated. I am a beginner to this hobby and I don't have any equipment. Thanks to anyone out there who can help!

Last edited:

CONNXT248

RC Noobie
Hi Tabeeb! Unfortunately, I can't offer any parts because as a high schooler I'm in a tight spot as well, but I can offer some advice. If you've never flown before, I would avoid getting a racing quad as your first build. They are way too hard to fly for a beginner. I would highly recommend buying a micro quadcopter to learn on first. You can find them for $20-30 dollars and they are great for getting into the hobby. That way, once you've saved up enough money for a racing quad, you'll have plenty of flight experience, and you'll being racing in no time :D

Tabeeb

The thing is that I once did save up enough to build a quad but none believed that I had the skills to build it at the age and so I ended up using that money on other things. Plus I have flown 20-30 dollar quads before. Thanks for the suggestion tho and I understand that its super hard to get into this hobby as a teen :)

WilliamsRC

Hi Tabeeb, as a 12 year old myself I fly fixed wings and have tried out quads. I have heard the Vortex 150 is a perfect quad that will teach the basics of quad flying and has fpv for the racing feel. Here’s the link: https://store.flitetest.com/getting-started-with-fpv/

Attachments

• 81238332-444B-4E0F-B3EE-E616173D7FB6.jpeg
    81238332-444B-4E0F-B3EE-E616173D7FB6.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 37

HexFPV

Professional Dilettante
if you rrreeeeaaaalllly want to get into FPV for cheap, the RedPawz R011 is a chinese Tiny Whoop clone that you can buy, with radio and goggles and quad, for 99 bucks on amazon. It is a rather shoddy copy, so be aware of that, but otherwise it should be a good starter for proper FPV flying

woodmister

Hey dude.
I'm not 12, just a poor newly wed college student, and I started with the eachine wizard. It's a perfectly great racer for becoming proficient and breaking and fixing. :) Lots of experience there. I've flown it for more than a year and it's been a good quad.

I put it in the hands of a professional racer, FPVProvo, and the things he did with it were AMAZING compared to what i could do, so I don't think the quad was holding him up. This is even the version 1, not the new x220s. So that's where I'd start. If you have a controller and goggles, there isn't a better quad for the price. Like I said, great for beginner, and still amazing when flown by someone with skill.

The one I have:
https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Wi...8CH-200MW-VTX-ARF-p-1085802.html?rmmds=search

The newer one that won't require really any upgrades.
https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Wi...-1155399.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN

That basic one is 125 bucks right now with free shipping.. VERY hard to beat that. You'll be able to upgrade it at your own pace and learn by adding a new vtx and rx down the road.

Anyways, Good Luck Friend

Abhi W.

Abhi W.
I am also looking for anything to help me get into the hobby. I'm only 15 but I have a tiny whoop but I want to go BBBBBIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGG!!!!!
Anything will help from straps to full quads. Thank you. What a great community.

Fly4MORE

I'd like to say I can help or offer advice, but my best quad is the blade nano qx 3d I got on sale and I mostly fly airplanes.
-First and most importantly, don't let anyone tell you age makes some kind of big difference. Yah, it makes a bit of a difference (mostly in time), but your much better off starting at 12 instead of in high school. (Just take my word on this.) And, as long as you are patient and make sure everything is set-up mostly correct, you should be good!
-Second: I assume everything you have flown so far are stabilized (non-racing) quads, so I recommend practicing in a simulator without stabilization before you invest in, or at least before you fly, a full racing quad. (A good free one usually suffices)
-Third: Expect the worst. Be prepared to loss everything to a simple crash and have to start over. This (likely) won't happen, but it is easy to get overly upset over one broken prop. (I gave up for a month because of one.)
-Fourth: Have replacement parts and tools, but don't go overboard- Watch your budget beyond the essentials, and try to get only what you do/will need, not what there is a small chance of you wanting someday in a few years.
-Fifth: Find someone else in the hobby to work with if you have not already.
-Don't expect cheap stuff to be as good; Cheap alternatives are normally good and do as they are supposed to, but there are noticeable differences. I'm not saying don't try to get cheaper things, but don't get obsessed either and don't ruin an expensive frame by using a really bad flight controller that only saved you $2.

Good luck! :)

(I make no guarantees on my advice, I've never made or flown a real FPV racing quad)