120% FT Commuter Plans

nikbrewer1

I just got done testing out my 120% FT commuter plans. They worked out great. I have been working to get this plane to work with a B pack motor. This gives a 36" wingspan. I just finished up a 135% this morning which will be a 40" span. Both should work with B pack motor, but the 135% will fit a 1300 battery and 9g servos better.
Attached a DXF of the 120%. Its set up to cut with a .8mm bit

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 120 commuter full plans.DXF
    915.3 KB · Views: 0

nikbrewer1

The plans for the 120% work great. I won't be powering this one though. Did some glide tests and it works well. The battery area was just not large enough for a 1300 battery. The 132% fuselage was built last night. I am making adjustments to it today to fit a 1300 battery, as it was so close.

I am not doing a bottom hatch on the 132% yet. I will need to see where the battery needs to sit for proper CG, and then i can see what needs to happen. There may be room for a 2200 battery even.

Will need to beef up the landing gear area as well

SteveRayK

Nice - I am building a 140% at the moment, looking at 1500 for the motor. Be interesting to see how it flies when done. The mini was good, so my guess is this should be better. I see you've backed off the dihedral. Same, I'm going to build the wing flat with a balsa spar. Considering full length alierons for flaperons.

ACE62

Is there anyone out there that could please convert the files to PDF ? Thank you in advance.

SteveRayK

Ask and you shall recieve - 140 pc FT Commuter attached. Now updated to include right wing. You'll probably need it... If I've left anything out, let me know and I'll convert it.

Attachments

• Fuselage.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Top Piece and Others.pdf
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing P6.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Right Wing .pdf
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

SteveRayK

While I'm here, hope I'm not hijacking a thread, here's some photos of how I've designed landing gear for the 140 pc. Needed to be tougher, so using balsa, wire and thin ca. Still very light so far. Used balsa for most of the pushrods too.

Attachments

• Commuter 1.4 Inside.jpg
    Commuter 1.4 Inside.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Commuter 1.4 Landing Gear.jpg
    Commuter 1.4 Landing Gear.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Commuter 1.4 Nosewheel Gear.jpg
    Commuter 1.4 Nosewheel Gear.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Lol - I flew my stock commuter on an a pack with two 9 gram servos and a 1500 2s battery! I’ll be eager to see how the up-scales versions fly.

SteveRayK

Lol - I flew my stock commuter on an a pack with two 9 gram servos and a 1500 2s battery! I’ll be eager to see how the up-scales versions fly.
Yeah, I'll be pretty interested myself! This is built for a 3s 1500 powering a Tomcat P4002 940kv and a 10 in prop. Feels pretty strong...but I know stuff all about how all the volts etc work.

ACE62

Thank you so much. I'm assuming you are not going with the power pod. What do you have planned?
How much dihedral?
Thank you again.

SteveRayK

Thank you so much. I'm assuming you are not going with the power pod. What do you have planned?
How much dihedral?
Thank you again.
No worries. I'm actually going with flat - 0% but I've seen people build them with just a little and others quite a bit. I'm going to start a thread now just for the build as it's been an interesting hybrid of foamboard and balsa construction.

miraspen

just an fyi the 140% plans above are missing the power pod and the part that the power pod slides into. Also i would cut the angle you cut in the top part wings (that allow the fold over parts to match up) a little bit less, it was quite a large gap and i didnt compensate for that part with blown up plans. now i gotta figure out some landing gear for it im thinking tail dragger but not sure yet. was gonna do it the way you did steverayK but got ahead of myself and already glued the front on lol.

Last edited:

SteveRayK

just an fyi the 140% plans above are missing the power pod and the part that the power pod slides into. Also i would cut the angle you cut in the top part wings (that allow the fold over parts to match up) a little bit less, it was quite a large gap and i didnt compensate for that part with blown up plans. now i gotta figure out some landing gear for it im thinking tail dragger but not sure yet. was gonna do it the way you did steverayK but got ahead of myself and already glued the front on lol.
Yes, sorry - I did not use a power pod, the internals including landing gear, were balsa initially. When that failed, I instead formed a solid styrofoam section inside the nose and just stuck the motor to that (use a firewall). I left the front part last as it is easier to work on all the internals before closing up the front section. One issue I did have was to be aware that the front section does not handle hard landings well, particular with a bit of motor weight - I had a few times where the nose sections pulled apart on landing. The strength to weight for the front is much better with the mini than upscaled. My landing gear worked really well though, it handled everything I threw at it - which was a lot!