1200kv or 2200kv motor

Avirup

Can anyone suggest wheather 2200kv or 1200kv motor is better for better thrust for drone to carry more weight with the drone .

FDS

Elite member
You need to look at first-
  • Weight of the payload
  • Frame size- can it run bigger props?
  • Desired flight characteristics
  • Preferred battery size/voltage
    You should settle on all that before choosing motors. If you are looking at longer duration flights and heavy lifts then big 2 blade props are going to be better. They need to swing slower than small multi blade props and will want totally different motors. Lower than 1200kv likely and with taller rotors for more low down power.

Avirup

You need to look at first-
  • Weight of the payload
  • Frame size- can it run bigger props?
  • Desired flight characteristics
  • Preferred battery size/voltage
    You should settle on all that before choosing motors. If you are looking at longer duration flights and heavy lifts then big 2 blade props are going to be better. They need to swing slower than small multi blade props and will want totally different motors. Lower than 1200kv likely and with taller rotors for more low down power.
Thank you so much for your help and
10 45 prop
3cell 2200mah battery
And want longer duration flight and more thrust

FDS

Elite member
What is the total weight so far including battery? That will help calculate the thrust you want.
Is it mainly for flying a camera or is it designed for something else?
You are probably looking at 800-1000kv or so motors for 10” props but the size will depend on thrust required.

FDS

Elite member
You need to get all up weight sorted first, as a 1200kv on a lower stator size will perform very differently to a 1200kv with a taller stator.
1200kv could be too fast for 10” props, depending on the weight being lifted and the prop profile, especially with a flatter can motor where all the power is higher up the RPM range.
Kv is a secondary consideration, motor size and thrust at the desired voltage is the starting point, all that is usually in the motor data sheets.
If you tell us the specific aim of this build and it’s weight then we can probably dial you into a set of motors for it.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @FDS, you have left a lot of questions unanswered. Of the two motors you suggested, the 1200kv has a better chance of success.

For endurance quads the grams of thrust per watt of power is critical. Lower Kv motor generally have a higher g/w rating. With g/w higher is better, look for something 10 or higher.

Avirup

@FDS @Merv
IMG20191103222243.jpg

•The motor size is A2212
•1200kv
•Prop size 1045.
•Battery. 2200mah 3cell 11.1v
•weight 1.2kg(approx)
•want to make an Arduino drone that flies high and for a while about
5-10minutes​

Bricks

Master member
On that motor 10 inch is going to be to much even a 9X5 she will get warm as I have a couple of those exact motors for my combat planes. It will run the best on 8X4.5`s

FDS

Elite member
I feel like lower KV would be better, it’s hard to say for sure. 1.2kg is a big drone. Arduino control is a lot more hassle than using a flight controller and regular controls. You could play safe and try that set of motors on a 9x3 set of props.
If you haven’t already got the motors I would look at a set of Phantom motors and props, they are fairly cheap second hand.
The DJI Phantom uses 2212 960kv motors with a 9450 two blade prop. It’s lighter than your build but still uses 3s batteries.
Also check laws in your country regarding altitude and drone flight rules.

Avirup

On that motor 10 inch is going to be to much even a 9X5 she will get warm as I have a couple of those exact motors for my combat planes. It will run the best on 8X4.5`s
Could you tell me the thrust with that setup of 8X45 with 1200kv A2212

FDS

Elite member
Each motor on a 6x4 prop with 3s, which was on the data sheet for the Aliexpress listing for those, says 870g of thrust per motor. An 8x4 might give you around 900g of thrust.
The Racerstar 2212 1400kv listing says it can swing a 9x5 prop and makes 910g of thrust on 3s.