125% FT Mini DR 1 (30 In Wing Span) Maiden Flight 3-2-2021

Marty72

Elite member
This is a build I've wanted to do for quite some time. I like the bigger planes, so I built this one as big as a sheet of FB would allow without gluing sheets together. If I did this again, I might try 150% (36 inch wing span). I did my research before building, this plane has a history of being tail heavy, it gets a lot of fliers in trouble. I think I've got that covered but will update after the maiden.

The weather is bad, it's going to be awhile before I can maiden. The flying field is literally a big puddle.

I'll give you all the specs on this, if I forgot something, let me know. The plane is per the plan except for a few things: Scale 125, 1/8 wire gear, bigger Ft wheels. I've also moved the gear as far forward as possible. This plane has a poor history with nosing over.

B pack motor (2212) 1050 radial, 9x4.5 APC prop, 1300 mah battery, 30 amp esc, 3 channel RET.
WS 30 inches, flight weight (everything battery included) 645 grams.

I've calculated the wing loading 6.35 oz/ft2 (5.2 ) and the wing cubic loading 3.4 (3.5). The unscaled DR1 values in parenthesis. The WCL is nearly identical, which is a good to see. The whole wing loading thing is not all that accurate for bi and tri planes but it's a good reference to make sure my scaled version is not over weight (because at first look, you'd think it was).

I'm calling this plane the Roo Baron (as my dogs name is Roo)
IMG_3018.JPG

IMG_3003 (2).JPG
IMG_3005.JPG

Last edited:

Marty72

Elite member
Absolutely amazing, wasn't the best day or the best site but I waited long enough, got a flight window and took it.

Flite Test 125% Fokker DR 1 Maiden - YouTube

Nothing real exciting on the maiden, trimmed out and then getting a feel for it so I could land this delicate thing without breaking it. I actually landed on the wheels, without flipping it.

Doesn't seem to be much interest in this thread, if you have any questions let me know, otherwise I'm finished here.

Last edited:

Marty72

Elite member
Thank you! I'm thrilled with it. It's a novelty plane for me, but It flies better than I imagined, but it is wind sensitive. I can wait for a perfect weather day to fly it. It's a fun plane to just have around. I made sure I was a bit nose heavy, and as it turns out, it's not nose heavy.

Marty72

Elite member
I just finished building a companion plane to the DR1 today. It is of course the SE5 in 125 scale. I used pretty much the same specs and techniques as with the DR1, hopefully it will fly just as well. Last year, I built a 150 scale DR1, but it doesn't fly as well as the 125, so I'm sticking with this size.

IMG_3537.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG
IMG_3560.JPG

I just finished building a companion plane to the DR1 today. It is of course the SE5 in 125 scale. I used pretty much the same specs and techniques as with the DR1, hopefully it will fly just as well. Last year, I built a 150 scale DR1, but it doesn't fly as well as the 125, so I'm sticking with this size.

View attachment 218517 View attachment 218518 View attachment 218520
Boy that's a clean & beautiful thing. A simple coat of paint really dresses it up nice!