125ish% FT Commuter build thread

BoredGuy

I got the removable wing done! I’ll try to cover it as best as I can in this post, and feel free to ask questions to clear any confusion up. The wing is held in place with 6 small dowels, each about 5cm long, 3 on each side. First, I cut out some plywood doublers to go on the inside of the fuse:
74037D7E-0009-4341-B2EB-7A5C2248B979.jpeg I then used CA glue to attach them. FB75F778-7AD4-4387-B4AA-9513D2BE672D.jpeg Then, I took two strips of coroplast and weakly hot glued them to the plywood doublers after aligning them to the top border of the fuselage. Using this bond, I passed 3 dowels through each strip and broke the hot glue bond, leaving it like this: D38D0B83-5648-4D50-A740-7DF207660CC6.jpeg I then ran hot glue along the top of these coroplast strips and attached the wing to this bond, making sure to align the wing as perfectly as possible. After pulling out the dowels and removing the wing, these coroplast strips were attached to the fuselage, in a perfectly aligned position that accounts for any error in the fuselage or wing build: 4917240D-31E8-43D6-AF9B-C1F8B8839204.jpeg The two strips aren’t exactly next to each other, but that wasn’t necessary for the perfect alignment. After marking out the position of these strips with pencil, I removed them and cut out a slit in the wing where the strips were. I inserted another two pieces of coroplast into the wing, pushing them in fully and joining them with CA glue. E21380C1-73A1-4DA6-9788-425A4D8BF20B.jpeg I added plywood doublers on the inside of this too, and used CA glue to attach dowels for additional compressive stiffness. I weakly glued down the wing with this structure inside to the fuselage, aligning it as perfectly as I could again. Once the wing was glued down, I passed sharp dowels through the fuselage mounting holes and plywood doublers to mark where they would go through in the mounting structure on the wing. I then made holes where the dowels made marks, leaving this on the bottom of the wing: 95B15FBD-25A9-447E-A8B0-3FAF0C9BA855.jpeg The holes were perfectly aligned with those in the fuse, so I could use the six small 5cm dowels to attach the wing to the fuselage, 3 on each side:
5E6E1F8B-621C-4AF6-863B-8BAB4C4C8959.jpeg Here’s a pic with the wing attached: ED045433-AD78-4C35-B951-8BDB647E6C51.jpeg

Attachments

• 70264DFC-71E4-41DF-B363-BF0312D949EE.jpeg
    70264DFC-71E4-41DF-B363-BF0312D949EE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • F162D9CF-9FEF-48BD-81D1-A5C60B00C0B4.jpeg
    F162D9CF-9FEF-48BD-81D1-A5C60B00C0B4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

BoredGuy

Nicely done! Very similar to how I did it on my Monster Cessna.

How are you attaching the struts?
Haven’t got to that, will figuring this out after I’ve finalised the wing design be a challenge? They’re not exactly structural in this build (unlike yours), so I think just wedging them in while attaching the wing should do it.
Also, there’s a gap between the front windshield and the wing leading edge (visible in the pics), how do I fix that?

BoredGuy

Got back to building the Cessna. Tbh, the nose I made looked absolutely horrendous. So, I’m giving it a NOSE JOB! The old nose has been ripped off, and I’m making a new one. Hope this one goes well!
AE364E10-10A2-45CF-842D-03DC54DD5806.jpeg

BoredGuy

Good luck! Where are you going to build it out of?
Out of a mix of coroplast and foam board. The main nose piece which connects directly to the fuselage, the power pod, and its support will be made out of coroplast. The top of the nose and the windshield will be foam board.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Out of a mix of coroplast and foam board. The main nose piece which connects directly to the fuselage, the power pod, and its support will be made out of coroplast. The top of the nose and the windshield will be foam board.
Awesome! Have you considered using pink foam and sanding it at all?

BoredGuy

Ok....
I think I've been putting off writing this post and it's time for an update.
Long story short, I've shelved this project for now. The nose job looked quite nice when I was done (not anymore lol) and I didn't have the foresight to take any pictures. I was overconfident enough to assume that it would fly GREAT and not crash, of course that wasn't the case. Spent some time on PhoenixRC to get used to the controls, once I felt I was good enough, I took the plane over to a local park to fly it. 10-15 attempts later, the maximum time I've kept it in the air is 5-7 seconds. I've crashed this thing hard enough and so many times I'm surprised it still looks like a plane. I think I built too heavy (AUW is about 700g) and the battery is too large. Swapped out the battery for a 1550 and still wouldn't stay in the air for long enough. I guess the prop torque from this motor is too much for the airframe to handle. Now that I've realized that a trainer isn't supposed to be pretty, I'm about to build a tiny trainer, and going as light as possible. I'm feeling the battery and motors from this build would go nice in @localfiend 's Catalina-maybe make that a 2nd or 3rd plane once I learn basic 4ch and sport flying?