12A ESC for power pack F?

ozzie

Hello all!
I purchased a speed build mini mustang kit and suggested power pack (F) for my son in law as a X-mas gift. I was impressed enough by the quality to get one for myself. Got it all put together but when I went to check throttle range it smoked the ESC. Not a huge deal for me as I just purchased a 30A for another project.
My concern is that 12A isn't enough capacity and when my "gift kit" flames out it will sour him on the experience.
Summary: Is a 12A ESC too small for the power pack F?
2205-2300KV
850 mAH 45c 3 cell
6x4.5 HQ prop
Thanks in advance for the help
Ozzie

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hello all!
I purchased a speed build mini mustang kit and suggested power pack (F) for my son in law as a X-mas gift. I was impressed enough by the quality to get one for myself. Got it all put together but when I went to check throttle range it smoked the ESC. Not a huge deal for me as I just purchased a 30A for another project.
My concern is that 12A isn't enough capacity and when my "gift kit" flames out it will sour him on the experience.
Summary: Is a 12A ESC too small for the power pack F?
2205-2300KV
850 mAH 45c 3 cell
6x4.5 HQ prop
Thanks in advance for the help
Ozzie
In my experience, in order to use the F pack with a 12 amp esc you have to use a 6x3 prop and give it plenty of airflow to keep it cool. I suggest using at least 20 amp esc.

d8veh

Elite member
I would say that the 12A ESC is for a 2S battery, which with the supplied 6x3 would have a current of around 11.5A, and 16A with a 6x4.5.

With a 3S battery and a 6x4, I'd estimate above 20A, a 6x 4.5 would be even higher and a 6x3 around 17A. They're all static currents. When the plane is flying, they'd be a bit lower because the propeller will spin faster and with less load.

kdobson83

I thought that same thing when I was poking around in the FT store. No, a 12amp esc is not enough. 20amp esc should be decent enough on 3s. I don't know why they pair a 12amp esc with a motor they advertise to be a more powerful option than the A pack. I guess they want you to use a smaller prop but in my opinion that kind of defets the purpose of moving up to a more powerful motor. It's kind of bad because their may be a lot of new flyers buying and smoking their new esc.

In my opinion they need to pair the F pack motor with a 20amp esc minimum. I use 30amp esc's with mine because I tend to fly fast and want the option to move to 4s without having to swap the esc.

ozzie

Wow! thanks for the quick response everyone.
Gonna buy him a 20A just to be safe.
Thanks again!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
The reason it comes with a 12 amp not larger is because before the 2205 came in the f-pack it came with a 2204, which would work with the 12 amp, but when they updated it they didn’t upgrade the esc. I use mine with the 12 amp and although it’s still running strong it has problems sometimes with not having enough airflow. Without enough airflow the esc overheats and the motor doesn’t get full power. Sometimes you can actually hear the motor getting slower and slower at full throttle. So yes, I would get him an extra 20 or 25 amp esc.