13 Inch props on FY680

nilsen

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share something about my relatively large Tarot fy680 Hex.

The specs say that the largest prop size is 12 inch however since I upgraded the motors to some 700kv pancake and run 4s I figured I'd order some "cheap" 13 inch props from helipal.

They arrived and I fitted them and there is about 5cm clearance between the prop tips which is resonable.

The flight is briliant, the thing hovers at around 30% throttle with a gopro and gimbal and at around 45% with a NEX size'd camera and gimbal and with the gopro setup and a 6000MaH battery gets around 10 minutes before droidplanner starts telling me battery is in negative % capacity.

Flying on the big props is really great, it has so much lift, I would love to know what something with 18inch props would be like.

The negative is that there are more virbrations even after carefully balancing the props, I think it's just due to the bigger mass being swung.

I made a video, watch to the end, it's worth it.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Nice video.

If the largest recommended was 12" that is mostly likely intended for 3S. Jumping over 12" to 13" AND using 4S, you may be pushing the motors extra hard. What pitch 13" are you using? If it's over 1345, that would be another severe factor.

Have you felt the motors for warmth after flying your camera and FPV equipment for a couple of minutes? You're now flying in the winter and if you're not pushing the throttle too hard, you may get away with it for now, but come summer and the starting temp is 50F warmer, you might want to watch it extra close. ;)

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
If the largest recommended was 12" that is mostly likely intended for 3S. Jumping over 12" to 13" AND using 4S, you may be pushing the motors extra hard. What pitch 13" are you using? If it's over 1345, that would be another severe factor.

The specs say that the largest prop size is 12 inch however since I upgraded the motors to some 700kv pancake and run 4s I figured I'd order some "cheap" 13 inch props from helipal.

He said he changed motors. I would assume the new motors are rated higher...but you know what they say about assumptions...

nilsen

Crazy video!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

I changed the motors and they do get slightly warm but nothing to worry about, maybe a few degrees above ambient but you're right, it is cold now so will have to see how it goes in summer.

Actually the frame was recommended for max 12 inch props, the current ones I'm using are 13x4 so nothing too crazy like the more common 13x6.5.

What I wanted to say but somehow forgot was the APM battery monitor says I am running my battery dead howver after 10 minutes flight, the voltage is down to 13.9v (on 4s) and when I charge it later I only put back 3500mAh which, considering it's a 6000mAh battery is not very empty in my opinion.

Maybe that is a good amount of reserve, I'm not sure.

I'd like to add that the turnigy Nanotech is my best battery, I also have a 5000mAh Zippy compact which is heavier than the Nanotech and just doesn't last as long (ignoring the 1000mAh difference).

Also the Multistar motors are beautiful :)

I guess you do get what you pay for.

Cheers!