13th Sqadron F6F build log

SSgt Duramax

Ok, opinions on liveries? There are the classics, there is the korean war olive drab, and there are some sweet target drone liveries too.

These are all the liveries i found.

plzpdr-23_2.jpg
f6fb.jpg
f6fa.jpg
f6fc.jpg

I think this simple two tone is my favorite.

f6f_11.jpg

Although the target drone ones are different, not done a lot, and look super cool still.

f6f_drone_01.jpg
f6f_drone_03.jpg
f6f_drone_09_ra.jpg
f6f_drone_02_f6f-5ks_bikini_1946.jpg

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Unfortunately, most of the colorful ones were test aircraft & never saw combat. But, that doesn't hinder you from using it for just flying around. Not too many orange aircraft out there......

(y)

SSgt Duramax

Unfortunately, most of the colorful ones were test aircraft & never saw combat. But, that doesn't hinder you from using it for just flying around. Not too many orange aircraft out there......

(y)
From my research the blue ones with the yellow wings were the control aircraft, and the red and yellow aircraft were the drones.

Although there are obviously pilots in the red ones in some pictures.

SSgt Duramax

Nearly done, updated the initial post with progress. Hopefully the maiden will be this weekend, boy I am nervous after all this work. @Niez13 do you have any additional details of how you affixed the lower hatch and did you make the power pod removeable? If so, how?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Nearly done, updated the initial post with progress. Hopefully the maiden will be this weekend, boy I am nervous after all this work. @Niez13 do you have any additional details of how you affixed the lower hatch and did you make the power pod removeable? If so, how?

I used a few small magnets in the front and back of the hatch, but it almost doesn't need it. The friction fit is almost enough. I try to find the smallest ones I can find on Amazon.

As for the powerpod, the usual bbq skewer in the side seems to work well. With that short nose and radial cowling, there's plenty of room to fiddle with it. Mine balances with a 4S 2200.

Its one of the better flying MS-planes, in my opinion. You'll have fun flying it like you stole it. I think I've built just about the whole 13th Squadron design list (almost!- they keep coming out with new stuff), and am grateful to them. You could build their mini-Zero and reenact the Marianas Turkey Shoot.

Niez13

Elite member
Yep just like @CrshNBrn said, magnets. I used like 5 or 6mm in diameter magnets. Besides everything else with your build looks perfect! There is nothing I would change and am very grateful for you creating a build log. It looks like it came out very clean! Do you plan on adding a cockpit or just clear canopy?

SSgt Duramax

I used a few small magnets in the front and back of the hatch, but it almost doesn't need it. The friction fit is almost enough. I try to find the smallest ones I can find on Amazon.

As for the powerpod, the usual bbq skewer in the side seems to work well. With that short nose and radial cowling, there's plenty of room to fiddle with it. Mine balances with a 4S 2200.

Its one of the better flying MS-planes, in my opinion. You'll have fun flying it like you stole it. I think I've built just about the whole 13th Squadron design list (almost!- they keep coming out with new stuff), and am grateful to them. You could build their mini-Zero and reenact the Marianas Turkey Shoot.

I've already built one of his mini zeros, I crashed it. I got the FT SBK one for $15 as a perk for being an air crew member, but the 13 SQ looks a ton better as far as detail. I picked up some at lowes tonight since I want to maiden it tomorrow. I have a ton on the way in from Alibaba though. Mine seems like it is going to balance just fine with a 2200 MAH 3s, but I can always jam in a 4S.

Yep just like @CrshNBrn said, magnets. I used like 5 or 6mm in diameter magnets. Besides everything else with your build looks perfect! There is nothing I would change and am very grateful for you creating a build log. It looks like it came out very clean! Do you plan on adding a cockpit or just clear canopy?

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for putting the plans out. I am just doing the canopy for now. I have it sealed up already. I do have an idea how I could make a removable one, and I got a 3D printer in! So I could totally make a cockpit with some great detail. If I do that I'll 100% put up the STLs. I hope this encourages more people to build it. Once I got all the pieces cut out it went together fairly easily.

Niez13

Elite member
I've already built one of his mini zeros, I crashed it. I got the FT SBK one for $15 as a perk for being an air crew member, but the 13 SQ looks a ton better as far as detail. I picked up some at lowes tonight since I want to maiden it tomorrow. I have a ton on the way in from Alibaba though. Mine seems like it is going to balance just fine with a 2200 MAH 3s, but I can always jam in a 4S.

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for putting the plans out. I am just doing the canopy for now. I have it sealed up already. I do have an idea how I could make a removable one, and I got a 3D printer in! So I could totally make a cockpit with some great detail. If I do that I'll 100% put up the STLs. I hope this encourages more people to build it. Once I got all the pieces cut out it went together fairly easily.
I might just have to try it out if you make one because I just got a 3D printer as well. I am going to try and add 3D printed details to future models because of the 3D Printer.

bwarz

Master member

Yours looks great! It has been a while since I built mine, but your comments on the canopy made me remember...
I did the canopy with a laminator and a cutout of the framing. I didn't go for a full cockpit detail, but did get a 3D printed pilot in there.
16425717400967383142078673183738.jpg

It's removable just in case, held on with one small magnet.
16425717581317639383969960993524.jpg

bwarz

Master member
Love your build log BTW! In reading I realized you use gorilla glue on many surfaces - very cool, especially on the wings. It's always a scramble gluing leading edge, outer curves, tops of the spars and trailing edge all at the same time! I've tried before to do it in parts but it seems like it doesn't really save much hassle :ROFLMAO:. I'd also LOVE the idea of having a bit of time adjusting the top wing skin to get it just right.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Yours looks great! It has been a while since I built mine, but your comments on the canopy made me remember...
I did the canopy with a laminator and a cutout of the framing. I didn't go for a full cockpit detail, but did get a 3D printed pilot in there. View attachment 216028
It's removable just in case, held on with one small magnet.
View attachment 216029

That is an amazing canopy! Not only does it look good, you give access to your servos. Nicely done.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I swear this one is on my "short" to-do list. F6F is probably my favorite plane that I've never owned or flown and this one looks awesome. If I didn't already have enough projects before FF this year I would love to take on a 150% - 200% version (200% would be just a hair shy of 1:4 scale). TBH the reason I haven't tackled an F6F is that after the P-40 I have a hate-hate relationship with rotating retracts, but this model would be worth giving it a shot. Hopefully I could avoid throwing $$$$$$$ at the gear like I did with the warhawk, but then again I know myself :oops:

These builds are looking awesome.