13th Squadron Caudron C.460 & DH88 Comet

Niez13

Elite member

Plans: 13thsquadron.com

Here are the latest designs from 13th Squadron: Caudron C.460 & DH88 Comet. They both feature some new techniques such as the DH88 being swappable for a twin engine design, and a seamless underside on the Caudron. The DH88 Comet is swappable with the G4M Betty Bomber and all future twin engine designs of mine down the road. The Caudron C.460 is good option if you're looking for a first racer. It flies on rails and is very predictable in the air. The DH88 Comet is meant for flat level and fast flying. The thin tapered wing creates some tip stall problems so be careful flying this bird at slow speed. More facts and information can be found on 13thsquadron.com and in the video above. Feel free to ask questions about the build process and all that. Hope everyone likes it and I hope you decide to build one! or both!

CaudronNF.jpg DH88NF.jpg DCS_3653NF.jpg DCS_3784NF.jpg DCS_3647NF.jpg DCS_3760NF.jpg DCS_3664NF.jpg DCS_3717NF.jpg DCS_3585NF.jpg DCS_3765NF.jpg

Last edited:

AussieBison

Great job, as always!
+1 for making this awesome designs swappable :)

On the site, G4M is listed as 3S 850-2200 compatible, and the DH88 is only 3S 850. Is that deliberate?

Niez13

Elite member
Great job, as always!
+1 for making this awesome designs swappable :)

On the site, G4M is listed as 3S 850-2200 compatible, and the DH88 is only 3S 850. Is that deliberate?
Thanks!

The only reason for that is that the Betty has way more space, and it needs nose weight. I have about 20 1/4 oz weights for nose weight while using the 3s 850mah:LOL:. I also just don't have a 3s 2200mah with an XT-30 connector. It could get way longer flight times and be more efficient if you use a 3s 2200mah. The DH88 just doesn't have space for a 2200. It also properly balances with a 3s 850mah in the nose. Those are the only reasons lol.

AussieBison

Thanks!

The only reason for that is that the Betty has way more space, and it needs nose weight. I have about 20 1/4 oz weights for nose weight while using the 3s 850mah:LOL:. I also just don't have a 3s 2200mah with an XT-30 connector. It could get way longer flight times and be more efficient if you use a 3s 2200mah. The DH88 just doesn't have space for a 2200. It also properly balances with a 3s 850mah in the nose. Those are the only reasons lol.

Awesome, makes sense..

If you have extra space + need nose weight - using bigger battery is the best thing to do when possible haha :)
Great builds! and the list on your website keeps growing as well.. very happy to see your contribution.. keep it up!

The Fopster

Master member

Here are the latest designs from 13th Squadron: Caudron C.460 & DH88 Comet. They both feature some new techniques such as the DH88 being swappable for a twin engine design, and a seamless underside on the Caudron. The DH88 Comet is swappable with the G4M Betty Bomber and all future twin engine designs of mine down the road. The Caudron C.460 is good option if you're looking for a first racer. It flies on rails and is very predictable in the air. The DH88 Comet is meant for flat level and fast flying. The thin tapered wing creates some tip stall problems so be careful flying this bird at slow speed. More facts and information can be found on 13thsquadron.com and in the video above. Feel free to ask questions about the build process and all that. Hope everyone likes it and I hope you decide to build one! or both!

View attachment 205411 View attachment 205412 View attachment 205415 View attachment 205419 View attachment 205414 View attachment 205417 View attachment 205416 View attachment 205421 View attachment 205413 View attachment 205423
I really do think these are the best looking foamboard planes I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for the golden age air racers and these are so brilliantly done they capture the look perfectly. Amazing. So impressed...

Niez13

Elite member
I really do think these are the best looking foamboard planes I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for the golden age air racers and these are so brilliantly done they capture the look perfectly. Amazing. So impressed...
Thanks David! Coming from someone who gets to see the real thing must mean I did something right :LOL:.

How's your DH88 build coming along?

Test Fly RC

Elite member

View attachment 205411 View attachment 205412 View attachment 205415 View attachment 205419 View attachment 205414 View attachment 205417 View attachment 205416 View attachment 205421 View attachment 205413 View attachment 205423
Both planes look great!
Can't wait to build and fly them!

The Fopster

Master member
Thanks David! Coming from someone who gets to see the real thing must mean I did something right :LOL:.

How's your DH88 build coming along?
Sadly on hold due to some other things going on with life. However I WILL get back to it once the other stuff has run it’s course, and I’ll get a photo of the model with the full size if it kills me!

Oh. And I’m building the Caudron after the Comet! What a team those will be!

Niez13

Elite member
Sadly on hold due to some other things going on with life. However I WILL get back to it once the other stuff has run it’s course, and I’ll get a photo of the model with the full size if it kills me!

Oh. And I’m building the Caudron after the Comet! What a team those will be!
That photo would be amazing!! I wonder if they would let you get really close to the real one for building a model. Either way it would be sweet! And it will be even cooler with the Caudron down the line!

The Fopster

Master member
That photo would be amazing!! I wonder if they would let you get really close to the real one for building a model. Either way it would be sweet! And it will be even cooler with the Caudron down the line!
No problem getting close. You can get right next to it, so the photo is easy to do. I’ll do my Mini Miles Hawk whilst I’m there. If only they had a Caudron I could get the full set!

Niez13

Elite member
No problem getting close. You can get right next to it, so the photo is easy to do. I’ll do my Mini Miles Hawk whilst I’m there. If only they had a Caudron I could get the full set!
Oh yeah with the Hawk that would be even better! Do they have a Caudron at that museum as well?