13th Squadron Ju 87 B-2 Stuka

Niez13

Elite member
Thanks! No maiden yet; there's still a little work to be done before she's airworthy yet. I'll post another picture when it's cleaned up, painted, and add decals before she gets all dinged up.

Thanks for the idea about the location of the siren. I'll bet you're right about the cowl underneath affecting the wind flow to the siren. I'll probably just tape them in various locations until I find the best spot. I think those whistles were originally attached to the landing gear, but after the Battle of Britain they were removed to add a few extra miles per hour to their slow cruising speed. It's an impressive plane- thanks for sharing your plans!
Awesome! Can’t wait! Looking forward to video(with sound lol) of it flying!

That’s work too. Whatever works will do. I’m excited cause I might have to do the same thing on mine!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Getting closer to the maiden! Hopefully by this weekend.

Attachments

• 20210520_081820.jpg
    20210520_081820.jpg
    878.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210520_081642.jpg
    20210520_081642.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I snuck out this morning before work and got two flights in. Mixed success. First, the good news: it balanced perfectly with a 4s 2200 battery and flew like a dream. Takeoff and landing was slow and easy, even without a steerable tailwheel. I don't have any video for this one, just a quick preflight picture. Take my word for it...the Stuka looks FANTASTIC in the air.

Unfortunately, I roached a brand-new motor in the process. It was one of those Flite Test C-Pack 2218 1180kv ones, which can usually stand the heat. My initial thought is that there was insufficient air flow around the motor due to my setting it back inside the front cowl to make the spinner fit flush. It just cooked itself- even got so hot as to melt a big cross into the tape that secures the firewall to the powerpod.

With that big 3 inch spinner out front there's probably not enough air flow in, but more importantly, there was just no place for the heat to escape. I've put some small holes with a barbecue skewer under the two side foam exhausts to let a little air in (see picture) , and am thinking about either drilling a few holes in the firewall to allow the heat to vent out, or maybe even poking even more holes in the fuselage box around where the motor would sit. Good idea/bad idea? I'm much obliged for any suggestions to improve airflow.

Attachments

• 20210521_084218.jpg
    20210521_084218.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210521_064012_001.jpg
    20210521_064012_001.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Niez13

Elite member
Awesome that it flew! Not so awesome that it wasn't "cool" during flight. My guess is its a combination of two main things; How close the spinner is the front cowling piece, and did you bevel the front of the front most cowling piece(M)?

I think I need to add that bevel to the plans but I believe a bevel on piece (M) would help a little with cooling. The other possibility to add to that is to add a vent hole either on the top or bottom vents. I think it would be easier to create one for the top vent because it's all painted and complete. You may have to make a smaller length power pod to account for it. The problem with a vent on the bottom part of the box is that's where the battery goes. Not necessarily a perfect solution but a good start lol.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I pulled a C pack motor off the Hellcat and gave it another whirl. See the video below for some highlights, including that awesome noseover landing. It just cruises through the air and looks super cool. Unfortunately, even after that short flight, that motor too was burnt. Could be lots of things: Maybe too heavy? Not enough ventilation? Bad motor (2218/1180kv)/propeller (10X4.7sf) combination? Its a mystery and a challenge to figure out.

In that spirit, I had a spare crappy motor leftover from a wrecked Dynam Hawker Hurricane that I put in there, plus cut out some additional venting underneath the foam exhausts. I pulled out the spinner a little bit more as well.
20210522_095916.jpg
However, this motor/prop (same slow flyer) combo barely kept it in the air even at full throttle.

I've got another C pack motor coming soon from Flite Test. I'm thinking I should just forward my salary directly to them and cut out the middleman. I'm thinking on adding more venting (wherever possible) and reducing the prop size down to a 9X4.5sf or maybe a 9X6 and trying it out again.

I'd imagine that folks who know a lot more about motors/props then I do would be able to find a successful combination for this bird. It looks awesome in the sky- its SO BIG and just cruises.

20210522_095916.jpg

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I removed the spinner and 10X4.7sf prop and instead put on a spare 13 X 7 X 3 prop leftover from the same wrecked Dynam Hurricane- gotta love the irony of building a new Luftwaffe plane from scrap RAF parts! I had to scootch the battery (4S 2200) back a bunch to compensate for the additional weight of the bigger stock Dynam motor, but there's plenty of room in the fuselage for adjustments. Anyway, this combination had plenty of power for scale cruising this morning.

Go build one today!

Attachments

• 20210523_083008.jpg
    20210523_083008.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 0

Niez13

Elite member
I pulled a C pack motor off the Hellcat and gave it another whirl. See the video below for some highlights, including that awesome noseover landing. It just cruises through the air and looks super cool. Unfortunately, even after that short flight, that motor too was burnt. Could be lots of things: Maybe too heavy? Not enough ventilation? Bad motor (2218/1180kv)/propeller (10X4.7sf) combination? Its a mystery and a challenge to figure out.

In that spirit, I had a spare crappy motor leftover from a wrecked Dynam Hawker Hurricane that I put in there, plus cut out some additional venting underneath the foam exhausts. I pulled out the spinner a little bit more as well. View attachment 200631 However, this motor/prop (same slow flyer) combo barely kept it in the air even at full throttle.

I've got another C pack motor coming soon from Flite Test. I'm thinking I should just forward my salary directly to them and cut out the middleman. I'm thinking on adding more venting (wherever possible) and reducing the prop size down to a 9X4.5sf or maybe a 9X6 and trying it out again.

I'd imagine that folks who know a lot more about motors/props then I do would be able to find a successful combination for this bird. It looks awesome in the sky- its SO BIG and just cruises.

View attachment 200631
That looks so scale flying in the air! The paint makes it look real! Great job!

For my Stuka I run a 4s 2200mah, on a C pack size FT Radial, with a 10x4.5 prop. It is not a slow fly prop style. I am usually able to cruise around at about 50% throttle. I will say I never really used full throttle or at least for a long interval. I like to climb with about 75% throttle, then roll over into a 0% throttle dive most of the time I fly mine:LOL:. My guess is its a combination of airflow, and throttle usage. I would try flying it without a spinner just to see if that's a major variable.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
That looks so scale flying in the air! The paint makes it look real! Great job!

For my Stuka I run a 4s 2200mah, on a C pack size FT Radial, with a 10x4.5 prop. It is not a slow fly prop style. I am usually able to cruise around at about 50% throttle. I will say I never really used full throttle or at least for a long interval. I like to climb with about 75% throttle, then roll over into a 0% throttle dive most of the time I fly mine:LOL:. My guess is its a combination of airflow, and throttle usage. I would try flying it without a spinner just to see if that's a major variable.

I've got a flew flights in now with that Dynam motor (BM3720 650kv) and the three bladed prop and it seems to truck right along. Flies great! Balanced. The guys down at the field were really impressed by how much the Stuka slows down for landing. Its really a great plane. Thanks!

In other news.. now I see you've got a Helldiver?!? AWESOME! Looks like I'd better head back to Dollar Tree...

Niez13

Elite member
I've got a flew flights in now with that Dynam motor (BM3720 650kv) and the three bladed prop and it seems to truck right along. Flies great! Balanced. The guys down at the field were really impressed by how much the Stuka slows down for landing. Its really a great plane. Thanks!

In other news.. now I see you've got a Helldiver?!? AWESOME! Looks like I'd better head back to Dollar Tree...
Awesome! Yeah I didn't expect it to be that slow on landings, but it's awesome that way!

Ha! Yeah I'm going to try and post that one to here tonight. Waiting to get better flight footage of it this weekend at Edgewater. School is now out of session so there even more models down the road.

AussieBison

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!!! Don't worry, if you see them, that means there available. I just don't like showing planes before I release them.

That's understandable :) must say your builds are of great quality and have super details. Keep it up!

Just curious on F35 project.. remember seeing some posts about it from months ago, has that been shelved? :unsure:

Test Fly RC

Elite member
Awesome! Yeah I didn't expect it to be that slow on landings, but it's awesome that way!

Ha! Yeah I'm going to try and post that one to here tonight. Waiting to get better flight footage of it this weekend at Edgewater. School is now out of session so there even more models down the road.
So what's the name of the airplane you're going to post tonight?