13th squadron Mini Zero build thread

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I wanted to build a Mini Zero and someone directed me to the 13th squadron website and I love their plane! I am making this thread as a reference for anyone else who wants to make this plane for there aren’t instructions for the plane. So I will sacrifice my self to help others moving forward. I only have put the paper on the foam at this point in time but it is for reference. And so you are aware I am only planning on modifying the wingtips to make it an A6m3 model 22. I may modify the cowling as well if I don’t like the look of it.
2695AF7E-8029-418C-B976-DA5D497058DC.jpeg
EE550085-A585-4E86-827A-C454357C9247.jpeg

The plans use 2 sheets of foam and with plenty to spare! Sorry that you can’t see all of it but it all fits! I have the 2 sheets separated into the fuselage and the wings. I have the mold over parts running with the length of the foam. This weekend I will be cutting out the prices and hopefully by about Sunday or Monday I could maiden it!

Niez13

Elite member
I wanted to build a Mini Zero and someone directed me to the 13th squadron website and I love their plane! I am making this thread as a reference for anyone else who wants to make this plane for there aren’t instructions for the plane. So I will sacrifice my self to help others moving forward. I only have put the paper on the foam at this point in time but it is for reference. And so you are aware I am only planning on modifying the wingtips to make it an A6m3 model 22. I may modify the cowling as well if I don’t like the look of it. View attachment 183811 View attachment 183810
The plans use 2 sheets of foam and with plenty to spare! Sorry that you can’t see all of it but it all fits! I have the 2 sheets separated into the fuselage and the wings. I have the mold over parts running with the length of the foam. This weekend I will be cutting out the prices and hopefully by about Sunday or Monday I could maiden it!
Sweeet! Let me know if if you have any questions with the build! All I can say is take your time with the back molded tail piece. Very tight molding 😁.

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
It has been 8 hours since the last post. 7 hours of that were building. Exhausting 😓
Well so for you humans wanting to make the darn thing here is how.
5AB12322-88EE-4B37-86D1-7AFE57EDB4ED.jpeg
for the wing you cut out the piece and do a double bevel. Then mold the wing into shape and glue the spar on the reference marks. Glue the servo on without the control horn on or move it out of the way. Then put glue on the leading edge of the wing the spar and the trailing edge. Then put pressure down on the spar and the trailing edge. Do the same for the other wing

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
For the fuselage watch the p47 master series video on the Flite test tech channel. First mold the pieces into shape. Then glue the ends of the mold together pieces to each other. Then put together the motor box on the front of the plane and glue the formers on it. Glue the formers on to the servo mount in the back. I would hot glue the servos on as well in this stage
81BCF8CD-CDC1-49C3-9755-AA0037DE2170.jpeg
AC9DDD6D-DAF6-4FA7-8C21-3CCC480E6A1C.jpeg

Then slowly and carefully glue the skins onto the formers.
3D92AF93-5932-4D64-88CA-1E942D73D81D.jpeg
then cut out the holes in the skins AFTER the glue is dry.

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
Attaching the wing is difficult to do alone so get a friend for that or blue tape. Get the hot glue down on the fuselage and then press for the wing on while aligning it. Then reinforce the wing on top.
2D29E59D-B6D2-4BC9-8A0B-D1070FBABB3B.jpeg
The canopy former should go to the back of the “canopy 3“ part. Then mold it together as shown on the plans. At this point glue the hatch and canopy together and you have a plane! I will be making it flyable tomorrow.
Some more pics for y’all to see
51F6597D-17A4-4954-99D2-96723D1FB1D6.jpeg
4E981145-F094-4CB4-A8DB-11B064001C84.jpeg
I noticed with my power pod in there in order to get the prop spinning I would need to have the power pod far out of the box. Is this a thing that is supposed to happen ? And what would be solutions to something like this.

Niez13

Elite member
Attaching the wing is difficult to do alone so get a friend for that or blue tape. Get the hot glue down on the fuselage and then press for the wing on while aligning it. Then reinforce the wing on top. View attachment 183873 The canopy former should go to the back of the “canopy 3“ part. Then mold it together as shown on the plans. At this point glue the hatch and canopy together and you have a plane! I will be making it flyable tomorrow.
Some more pics for y’all to see View attachment 183874 View attachment 183875 I noticed with my power pod in there in order to get the prop spinning I would need to have the power pod far out of the box. Is this a thing that is supposed to happen ? And what would be solutions to something like this.
Yep! That’s supposed to happen. Just allows for tighter spaces and Getting rid of formers that are brittle for the nose. There shouldn’t be any issues with it, but as sort of a fix you can put a barbecue skewer that holds it in place further in the front of the powerpod maybe.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
looking to build this, but hvae no idea of its characteristics when 9, not 5 gram servos are used, and so, wanted to ask if it would also fly well as a trainer.

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
looking to build this, but have no idea of its characteristics when 9, not 5 gram servos are used, and so, wanted to ask if it would also fly well as a trainer.
With my modification on the wingtips it makes the ailerons much more effective so don't do that. A zero is meant to have ok roll rate not like a Ki-43. In the hands of a good pilot this thing is probably flying like a dream. In the hands of me on the other hand twice into the ground and sitting around the garage waiting for repairs. So if you are a good pilot you can do anything with it. Otherwise you will discover the ground.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
With my modification on the wingtips it makes the ailerons much more effective so don't do that. A zero is meant to have ok roll rate not like a Ki-43. In the hands of a good pilot this thing is probably flying like a dream. In the hands of me on the other hand twice into the ground and sitting around the garage waiting for repairs. So if you are a good pilot you can do anything with it. Otherwise you will discover the ground.
yes, I am a horrible pilot...

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I will say that my Zero design is very stable, it might be a little less aerobatic with 9 grams but that might be what your looking for. It is stable for a agile plane, that's the best way to put it. @SquirrelTail 's Telemaster would be a good option too depending on what your thinking :).
I have taken up the extreme, and have finished a tiny balsa wing, and everything else foam glider, loved its performas=nce, and decided to make a larger, all foam, rc version!! will see how that works out.