13th Squadron

CrshNBrn

Elite member
"When Alexander (The Great) saw the breadth of his domain he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."
- Hans Gruber, Die Hard

Thanks, 13th Squadron. It's been fun.
20221022_133343.jpg

danskis

Master member
@CrshNBrn - Impressive fleet and I've enjoyed your posts. I've built the F6F and flown it with the recomended CG. I was wondering where the CG is on yours. If its a hassle don't bother.

Inq

Elite member
I was wondering about spray painting the DT foamboard... I will try it, but I'm imagining any masking tape would just pull the paper off. Are there any tricks?... like say... do you do something like a polyurethane coating of the board, then mask and spray?

luvmy40

Elite member
I was wondering about spray painting the DT foamboard... I will try it, but I'm imagining any masking tape would just pull the paper off. Are there any tricks?... like say... do you do something like a polyurethane coating of the board, then mask and spray?
Yes, glue your exposed edges and apply an oil based polyurethane(Minwax) in a light even coat, wiping away any heavier spots. Let it dry, at least overnight, IMHO. Then apply your base coat. The Poly and glue should protect the foam from rattle can propellent, but be careful about spraying on bare uncoated foam. I let my base coat dry overnight then mask with blue painters tape. You can stick the tape to your bench or your Tee shirt and peel it off if you want to reduces the adhesion a bit. I don't think it's necessary, but opinions vary.

Reactions: Inq

CrshNBrn

Elite member
@CrshNBrn - Impressive fleet and I've enjoyed your posts. I've built the F6F and flown it with the recomended CG. I was wondering where the CG is on yours. If its a hassle don't bother.

I think I use (about) the recommended 44.4mm from the leading edge. Seems to work pretty well with a 2200 4S battery.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Yes, glue your exposed edges and apply an oil based polyurethane(Minwax) in a light even coat, wiping away any heavier spots. Let it dry, at least overnight, IMHO. Then apply your base coat. The Poly and glue should protect the foam from rattle can propellent, but be careful about spraying on bare uncoated foam. I let my base coat dry overnight then mask with blue painters tape. You can stick the tape to your bench or your Tee shirt and peel it off if you want to reduces the adhesion a bit. I don't think it's necessary, but opinions vary.

I agree, especially if you're using DTFB instead of the fancy water resistant FT foamboard.

I always run into some issues with the paper separating off the foamboard on the DTFB stuff. Its worse when painting in a cold garage- my first Hellcat looked like a Shar-pei from the droopy paper. Once it dried, it flew just fine though. I would up giving it to a buddy's kid and built the other one.

If you can find it, the delicate surface painters tape is even better to use than the blue stuff. I haven't had much luck with blue for painting- it always seems to pull up too much paint no matter how I use it.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Here is what I've found that works for me: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/how-to-paint-foam-board.68422/#post-721664
I've been using Lowes or HomeDepot sample size latex thinned 50% with rubbing alcohol instead of the Walmart acrylics.

luvmy40

Elite member
I think the A4 is pre tiled for 8.5 x 11. But if you download the full size plans and use the poster mode in adobe, it tiles them automatically.