Master Series Style IL-2

Which variant should I make?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So it turns out the foam board competition at my field is a month earlier than last year, so I needed to stop my other projects and build the plane for it. So far I've completed the v and h stab, but I haven't decided on the wing yet. I want to either make it the IL-2M3, or the non swept wing. I can't decide, so what do you think? The swept wing is supposed to shift the cg back while still allowing the plane to fly balanced, which might help.
1599262119126.png

1599262281405.png
image.jpg

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
outer wing consoles with swept-back increased from 9 to 15 degrees, mainly for the straight-wing version characteristics suffered for the shift back of the center of gravity due to the addition of gunner, his machine gun and protection plate. looks faster, but in your build, it will depend if youre tailheavy, and swept wing will move CG a touch to rear, if not, CG more forward by straight wing.

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/il-2/il2-camo/il-2m3/il2m3-camo.htm

Attachments

• comparison-IL.jpg
    comparison-IL.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
Does it need to be a master series type build...it looks like the original had fairly flat sides. Maybe just posterboard top and bottom?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Does it need to be a master series type build...it looks like the original had fairly flat sides. Maybe just posterboard top and bottom?
Looking closer at this "blueprint" of one, it looks like what you said could work near the wing, but the rear and front are a little more circular. I think I may do that for the wing area to make the attachment point stronger with both the center box and the outside with the paper on both sides, then for the rest of it the skin will be fully master series style. I'm going to make the spars taper like the full scale to make it as realistic as possible. The prop I'm planning on using is the one on the Eflite P-39 which has an 11" span, although scale would be around 12.5", but that should still have enough power, and the smaller prop should help with belly landings. I can't find any spinners, besides 3d Lab Print's one, which can't be bought separately from the whole plane. The spinner would be 2.75", so I may have to 3d print one and scale it up to the right size. If I can't find one, it should only be an hour or two modeling in fusion, but the printer is in the middle of a 6 day 20 hour print, so I won't be able to test that at the moment.
1599320167337.png

Attachments

• 1599319453226.png
    1599319453226.png
    277.6 KB · Views: 0

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I mostly finished the wing. I think I'll make it glued to the fuselage actually.. The airfoil is a little woky in the center, but most of that is going to be under the fuselage. It might need a former to keep the front of it the right shape. The airfoil is quite thick, but about right for a warbird wing of this size.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm done with all but 1 former, and I also have a start on the wing removal system, just the velcro won't arrive till thursday. I'm not making plans for some parts anymore (besides formers) because it could be optimised for repeatability, and it could be lighter. I would love to see a video on how they make the first plans for the skin on the master series since I haven'f been able too yet, and if it's possible without CAD. I plan to finish the formers and some sheeting tomorrow. I was wondering if @Grifflyer has any techniques for it, it would be appreciated.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm done with all but 1 former, and I also have a start on the wing removal system, just the velcro won't arrive till thursday. I'm not making plans for some parts anymore (besides formers) because it could be optimised for repeatability, and it could be lighter. I would love to see a video on how they make the first plans for the skin on the master series since I haven'f been able too yet, and if it's possible without CAD. I plan to finish the formers and some sheeting tomorrow. I was wondering if @Grifflyer has any techniques for it, it would be appreciated.
I do have a technique/process that gives me a pretty much perfect skin piece the first time through. I'd be honored to show you how to do it! It's kinda hard to explain through a text message. You can DM me and we can set up a discord call of some sort where I can show you my screen as I'm working.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I do have a technique/process that gives me a pretty much perfect skin piece the first time through. I'd be honored to show you how to do it! It's kinda hard to explain through a text message. You can DM me and we can set up a discord call of some sort where I can show you my screen as I'm working.
Thanks! It may be useful to make a youtube video of the screen recording so others can learn do the same thing

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I could send you some tutorials or edit it for you. That's the complicated part since some computers don't screen record audio, so you may need some application. Uploading is pretty simple though🙃
Tutorials would be nice! I just need to finish other stuff first before I make a video like that.

ScratchBuildMast

Elite member
I could send you some tutorials or edit it for you. That's the complicated part since some computers don't screen record audio, so you may need some application. Uploading is pretty simple though🙃
I use OBS Studio to record, either that or Screencast-O-Matic, both are free and record audio ;)