15 foot DTFB glider maiden

Crazy Goats

Just maidened a 15 foot glider on Monday. Towed up using a 4 wheeler and a bunch of rope. Here's a couple of photos. She's got skateboard wheels duct-taped on for the present, but I'm doing a large overhaul in the next few days to remove a lot of weight. We initially hoped to tow it with the little plane in the second picture, but that didn't even come close to working. I have really enjoyed this plane even with very little flight time because of how the wings bend. When the plane is on the ground the wingtips are touching, and in the air they flex very gracefully. Overall just loads of fun.
Movies & TV 4_15_2019 10_24_15 PM.png
IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_2673_Moment.jpg
IMG_2673_Moment(2).jpg
IMG_2673_Moment(3).jpg

TEC.730

Hi, really nice ! Have you some flies videos ?
Is it possible to know some caracteristics (wing area, weight, airfoil thickness) and built method (spar used, airfoil method - flitetest, experimentals airlines or other method -) ?

Thanks a lot and happy flies

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
15ft. what was your spar? box or cf, yardstick?

Last edited:

Crazy Goats

Hi, really nice ! Have you some flies videos ?
Is it possible to know some caracteristics (wing area, weight, airfoil thickness) and built method (spar used, airfoil method - flitetest, experimentals airlines or other method -) ?

Thanks a lot and happy flies

Hi, thank you! Do you know if there is a way to embed a video? I can't seem to find it but if I do ill ad some flight video. Unfortunately I've since dismantled the plane because my living space changed a bit and the thing was taking up alot of space :D so I can't give you any exact figures. It had a 13" root chord and 4" tip chord with a straight taper. About 1.7" thickness at root, and two sheet foamboard thickness at the tip. It was all freehand made so I don't have plans or anything. I never weighed it but it was HEFTY. The aifoil was much more like an experimental airlines foil than FT foil. A top and bottom foamboard half with stiffeners and spar inbetween. The wing spar was interesting. It was wood scraps of varying thicknesses running down the length of the wing accomodating for the thickness of the airfoil as it went. Joined in the middle with an aluminum tube which the spar halves fit into (so the wing could be halved for transport). I also put a wooden stake underneath the wing to stiffen it while it sat on the ground. You can see in the video that in flight (i forgot to remove it before flight) it wasn't really doing anything as the wings curved upwards. It's hard to describe with just words. If you are still interested I could make some sort of mock up and add pictures.