150% Edge

jakexie6

Sooooo I took a look at the normal FT Edge and it looked real cool! By coincidence, I had just lost a P-51 that I got from a swap meet when my receiver lost connection. So I was left with a big motor and the desire for an FT Edge. So bam! Scaled the plans up 150% then worked on and off until it was done. (And no I am not using 9 grams, picked up some standard size servos at a later swap meet) The maiden went well except for the fact that I forgot to dial in some expo, and also that the hatch flew off on takeoff because I thought the tight fit would be enough. Surprisingly, the plane also flies quite slow. I know that the scale of it will distort my sense of speed but still, such a nice flier. It is a little bit nose-heavy, but once I swap out the metal spinner with a plastic one it should be much more neutral balance. I am also going to add VG's to it as well because I want to be dragging my tail on the runway. :p Anyways, enjoy my dad's meh camerawork and a quite slow FT Edge! (This video is the second flight BTW, also if you guys wouldn't mind could you tell me where the hatch flies off? The hatch was held on with tape but that still wasn't enough and I want to show it to my friends :ROFLMAO:)

mach1 rc

Master member
Sooooo I took a look at the normal FT Edge and it looked real cool! By coincidence, I had just lost a P-51 that I got from a swap meet when my receiver lost connection. So I was left with a big motor and the desire for an FT Edge. So bam! Scaled the plans up 150% then worked on and off until it was done. (And no I am not using 9 grams, picked up some standard size servos at a later swap meet) The maiden went well except for the fact that I forgot to dial in some expo, and also that the hatch flew off on takeoff because I thought the tight fit would be enough. Surprisingly, the plane also flies quite slow. I know that the scale of it will distort my sense of speed but still, such a nice flier. It is a little bit nose-heavy, but once I swap out the metal spinner with a plastic one it should be much more neutral balance. I am also going to add VG's to it as well because I want to be dragging my tail on the runway. :p Anyways, enjoy my dad's meh camerawork and a quite slow FT Edge! (This video is the second flight BTW, also if you guys wouldn't mind could you tell me where the hatch flies off? The hatch was held on with tape but that still wasn't enough and I want to show it to my friends :ROFLMAO:)
Super nice plane the edge is one of my favorites

jakexie6

@jakexie6 what motor/prop were you using in it? I just started on a 140% edge.
I was using a FMS 4250 580kv motor (it was the older version however). It came from a P51 I bought for $40 at a swap meet. The prop I think was a 14x10 APC. I was crusing around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle so I think the same combination will work for you.

jakexie6

Also FYI! I thought I posted this when it happened but I guess I was too salty about it lol. About 2 weeks after that first flight I took it out again with some improvements. (VG's, magnetic hatch, etc.). When I was building the plane I neglected the fact that a big wing creates ALOT of lift which will snap the wing over time. Sooooo here I am flying nicely inverted and when I snap out of it...BANG. Whole wing snaps in half and I watch it hit the ground. I'll try to post the footage of it if I can remember later. TL;DR if you build one please actually make a good spar instead of a foam box spar.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Also FYI! I thought I posted this when it happened but I guess I was too salty about it lol. About 2 weeks after that first flight I took it out again with some improvements. (VG's, magnetic hatch, etc.). When I was building the plane I neglected the fact that a big wing creates ALOT of lift which will snap the wing over time. Sooooo here I am flying nicely inverted and when I snap out of it...BANG. Whole wing snaps in half and I watch it hit the ground. I'll try to post the footage of it if I can remember later. TL;DR if you build one please actually make a good spar instead of a foam box spar.
Ok, good to know! I'm probably gonna try a CF spar in this one, or maybe some good strong wood instead.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
DITTO!!!! 😎😁😁
But I'll never be able to afford the Maker Foam...
Love the Edge! Just need help with it... Either the (big) plans, or better yet, precursor.
If you make it to flitefest, I could probably cut out a 200% edge for you and give it to you there. Something like that would be crazy expensive to ship...

DMiller

Nice job on the Edge. Do you have plans for the 150% ? dxf,pdf?

DMiller

I have a pdf for the 140% edge plans. The scores and cavities weren’t adjusted to the width of the foam though.
Ahh, found the other thread on the 140% Edge. I was trying to scale with the cavities at 3/16 and was wondering why some reference points from my stock edge were not working out. I imported into a drafting prg to get to a file we can use to lazer cut it.