150% Modded Pietenpol

Tonero311

So after the success of my last modded Pietenpol build I thought about how to push the build skills a little further. So 150% was the way to go. Spent nearly 2 weeks figuring out how inkscape works to scale and modify plans. Never used any type of CAD in the past. Always been a pen paper and ruler kind of builder. So there was a bit of a steep learning curve there. Though thankfully got there in the end.
So armed with the plans it was time to do some damage to foamboard. This build I will be using Pva, gorilla glue and 5 min epoxy. 2 reasons. 1 these are lighter than hot glue and 2 my hot glue gun blew up 2 FT-22's ago😂. I learned to work without it and developed my finesse further with building as a side benefit.
I'll be running a 10mm carbon fibre tube up a box spar for the wing. I'm undecided just yet whether to do full length flaperons or separate ailerons/flaps.
The rudder and elevator will have carbon fibre tube reinforcing them and carbon fibre tube to guide the music wire through the fuselage too.
The modded landing gear is going to be CF reinforced too on the doubled up landing struts. Copied this mod from the bushwacker mods article. Hoping to find 100 to 120mm spoked wheels to roll on too. Hoping this is going help with take off and landings.
Tomorrow I'm aiming to get the bottom fuse plates cut out and possibly make a start on the wings spars. Enjoy your weekend everyone and happy flying.

Attachments

• 20190921_200538.jpg
    20190921_200538.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190921_200518.jpg
    20190921_200518.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190921_200932.jpg
    20190921_200932.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190921_200354.jpg
    20190921_200354.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Tonero311

Thank you very much. I try to be as neat and methodical as possible. Still end up with a few whoopsies even though most are not noticeable. This one I slipped off the CF tube as I was epoxying it in with a BBQ skewer and gouged the cut line slightly. Be covered by vinyl.
The hinges I just bevel with a steel ruler, give the exposed foam a harden with PVA then hot glue reinforce. They get additional strength again after with the coloured packing tape I put on now.
This one will most likely not be decorated as this is a v1 prototype to work out any kinks make adjustments for v1.1. That one will be getting the special paint job(keeping that little detail to myself for now) and if there is interest I'll throw up plans and more detail on the build.

PoorManRC

Master member
I really like that!! 👍👍
I've been interested in that one, and the Commuter...
But really wanted bigger Planes.
My eyes don't work as well as they used to! 😜

You going to have plans available?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thank you very much. I try to be as neat and methodical as possible. Still end up with a few whoopsies even though most are not noticeable. This one I slipped off the CF tube as I was epoxying it in with a BBQ skewer and gouged the cut line slightly. Be covered by vinyl.
The hinges I just bevel with a steel ruler, give the exposed foam a harden with PVA then hot glue reinforce. They get additional strength again after with the coloured packing tape I put on now.
This one will most likely not be decorated as this is a v1 prototype to work out any kinks make adjustments for v1.1. That one will be getting the special paint job(keeping that little detail to myself for now) and if there is interest I'll throw up plans and more detail on the build.
Top shelf bud, looks like a tight build

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Why is it you like the Pietenpol so much? You seem like you like the FT-22's so much which is such a far departure from the Pietenpol

Tonero311

I really like that!! 👍👍
I've been interested in that one, and the Commuter...
But really wanted bigger Planes.
My eyes don't work as well as they used to! 😜

You going to have plans available?
Once I iron out the kinks I'll chuck up the plans. Theres a few little things need adjusted so far and I'll probably find more as the build goes on. It has a lot of usable space in it now. The faux engine alone will be able to house my opto esc and ubec. That 240% Commuter Ben built, that's a bucket list build that one😀.

Why is it you like the Pietenpol so much? You seem like you like the FT-22's so much which is such a far departure from the Pietenpol

The Pietenpol was the first plane I built. My lovely Mrs bought me a SBK last Xmas(she might regret that now haha) and I fell in love with the beauty of the model and the build too. First one I built was goodish build, but flew really poorly. It was my learner really and didn't last long. Then spent a few months gathering supplies and tools together to dive in properly to the hobby(mission success on that one), but needed a fast easy build to scratch the flying itch whilst I was putting more TLC into the next Piet. Found mini FT-22 and an obsession with another model was begun.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Once I iron out the kinks I'll chuck up the plans. Theres a few little things need adjusted so far and I'll probably find more as the build goes on. It has a lot of usable space in it now. The faux engine alone will be able to house my opto esc and ubec. That 240% Commuter Ben built, that's a bucket list build that one😀.

The Pietenpol was the first plane I built. My lovely Mrs bought me a SBK last Xmas(she might regret that now haha) and I fell in love with the beauty of the model and the build too. First one I built was goodish build, but flew really poorly. It was my learner really and didn't last long. Then spent a few months gathering supplies and tools together to dive in properly to the hobby(mission success on that one), but needed a fast easy build to scratch the flying itch whilst I was putting more TLC into the next Piet. Found mini FT-22 and an obsession with another model was begun.
I have heard a lot of people say that the Pietenpol is a really great trainer as well. My Mrs is happy that I have a hobby to keep me out of trouble too, but she thinks I am cheating on her with the planes lol. Between building, flying, and being on this forum the time spent is like another GF.

Its awesome your doing the larger version. Whats the motor pack you're putting into it?

Hey you said on here that you taught yourself CAD, took a couple weeks. What was the process and what program did you use?

Tonero311

Little update on the build. Aft bottom plate given the Egyptian beauty treatment. Front dry fitted and looking very good. Need to wait on the gorilla glue drying through first.
Bit of luck with the tail. I was worrying about the rigidity in that area with the rudder being bigger and single FB thickness. There turned out to be space to glue in 2 fillet pieces of foam I can cut 5mm relief out of. This helps as I didn't epoxy in the CF tube on the lower part for ease of fitment over the elevator. These pieces should sandwich that joint and maintain good rigidity.
Looking at the tail on this version, there could be plenty of room for a steerable tail wheel. Wouldn't take a massive amount of effort to shoehorn one of those in. Rudder design looks like it could be modified to suit very easily.
The motor and esc setup I haven't a clue just yet. I'm thinking 9 or 10" prop on 3s or 4s. Need to weigh this model once built then decide on a power plant. Probably wisest thing to do really.

Attachments

• 20190925_161041.jpg
    20190925_161041.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190925_161251.jpg
    20190925_161251.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Tonero311

That faux engine is massive. Theres room for artistic details there too. Be quite easy to make air cooled cylinders from the correct packaging foam, BBQ skewers, heat shrink tube and straws for exhausts. Could ditch the radiator and go for a more modern boxer 4 cylinder look. Hmmm....there is so much to play with here.

Tonero311

I have heard a lot of people say that the Pietenpol is a really great trainer as well. My Mrs is happy that I have a hobby to keep me out of trouble too, but she thinks I am cheating on her with the planes lol. Between building, flying, and being on this forum the time spent is like another GF.

Its awesome your doing the larger version. Whats the motor pack you're putting into it?

Hey you said on here that you taught yourself CAD, took a couple weeks. What was the process and what program did you use?
I found a video that will help a lot better than I can explain. Post it up here soon. Found it after just messing and experimenting with inkscape. The main problem I had was just learning what tool in it does what. After that I was grand. Wish I had learned years ago now. So handy.

Tonero311

I like the idea of scale, but that rad has to go, makes absolutely no sense in that position

Yeah, I love the old time classic style. But that big sandwich board causing drag annoys the logical engineer in me. Plus it seems really counter intuitive to have a slab block your view ahead too. That's where I got the idea for a boxer engine. Like some Cessna's use. Not be too hard to do either.

A Flathead V8 would look sweet!! 😎
Longer nose needed for that one😂. Imagine throwing one of those in a real Piet. Spin the air frame quicker than the propeller.

Bottom nose plate on. Next up is my CF reinforced struts. I think they will be really nice and hopefully no more bending the legs back during landing. Tomorrow the last of CF needed gets ordered to work on the wing,cabines and get the fuse sealed up.

Tonero311

CF reinforced landing gear struts done. Open foam edges I'm going to give a thin epoxy skin to add a little more strength. Hoping to get the tail feathers installed today. Though I have a long list of chores to get done. Lol. Joys of a young family😀.

Attachments

• 20190926_091853.jpg
    20190926_091853.jpg
  • 20190926_091833.jpg
    20190926_091833.jpg
  • 20190926_091926.jpg
    20190926_091926.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
The issue with upsizing... Weight and the need for strengthening! 😲

You're dealing with it well, not even adding a lot of weight in the process!! 👍👍👋👋👋👋
Really wish I could afford CF Rods...
Although I'm getting better adapted to building slightly heavier, and learning limits!! 😋

I really like this! I hope I can find someone to cut one for me, because I'd love to build one.
I've got issues.....