150% MSBP. Mini Scout Biplane, Not so Mini!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I've wanted to do this one for a while. A true, full size version of a foamboard biplane that I know flies as well as anything anyone can ask for. The original MSBP, Mini Scout Biplane, is based of course on the Mini Scout. I changed a lot of stuff to make that plane. It's still a Mini and runs off the F-pack.

Scale it up 150%? It's not a mini any more! The wingspan will be larger than @jpot1's Baby Blender Extended. I think we'll be pushing the limits of what foamboard can do with a biplane configuration. There are no wooden supports. No changes to the design, whatsoever. Just scaled up bigger. :) I absolutely love the way I can throw the MSBP around in the sky. Here's a few videos:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/“fly-as-hard-as-you-can”-challenge.60776/

It basically does whatever I ask it to do. At some points, it's more than I can handle! So what happens when we make it bigger? @sundown57 actually tried it and liked it. He didn't put it through the paces, though! :devilish: I am definitely going to!

She'll be sporting a SunnySky 2216-8 1250kv motor, 30 amp esc, 3s 2200mAh batt, and a prop that is yet to be determined. I had some help on this build already. @sundown57 really is my Real Life Uncle. He's my Mother's Brother. He has me to blame for luring him into the FT world of RC flight. As way of thanks, he gifted me with a whole bunch of planes that he hand cut himself. I've only got to glue them together. This is one of them.

20191120_223754.jpg

The design is so simple, this build should go pretty quickly. I'm out of 9gram servos, though. I've only three left. Elevator and Rudder. That's two. My original design calls for one servo to actuate both ailerons. I might try to do that with my last 9 gram, or I might use two five gram. I'm scavenging the receiver from my DR1. It happens to be a RX6R and I happen to have a 5amp bec that I haven't used, yet. That works out pretty good!

Stick with me and you'll get to see a C-pack sized biplane rip the skies! At least that's the plan. ;)

sundown57

Legendary member
buzzbomb I just finished building another one of rastersize slow-flying plane and I did some mods to it, hoping to maiden it on Saturday. I was looking around last night to see what plane I should build next SOOOO. thinking of doing another 150 MSbp. or maybe a 200 ? or maybe how ever big I can fit on a full sheet? what do you think?

sundown57

Legendary member
I've wanted to do this one for a while. A true, full size version of a foamboard biplane that I know flies as well as anything anyone can ask for. The original MSBP, Mini Scout Biplane, is based of course on the Mini Scout. I changed a lot of stuff to make that plane. It's still a Mini and runs off the F-pack.

Scale it up 150%? It's not a mini any more! The wingspan will be larger than @jpot1's Baby Blender Extended. I think we'll be pushing the limits of what foamboard can do with a biplane configuration. There are no wooden supports. No changes to the design, whatsoever. Just scaled up bigger. :) I absolutely love the way I can throw the MSBP around in the sky. Here's a few videos:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/“fly-as-hard-as-you-can”-challenge.60776/

It basically does whatever I ask it to do. At some points, it's more than I can handle! So what happens when we make it bigger? @sundown57 actually tried it and liked it. He didn't put it through the paces, though! :devilish: I am definitely going to!

She'll be sporting a SunnySky 2216-8 1250kv motor, 30 amp esc, 3s 2200mAh batt, and a prop that is yet to be determined. I had some help on this build already. @sundown57 really is my Real Life Uncle. He's my Mother's Brother. He has me to blame for luring him into the FT world of RC flight. As way of thanks, he gifted me with a whole bunch of planes that he hand cut himself. I've only got to glue them together. This is one of them.

View attachment 148618

The design is so simple, this build should go pretty quickly. I'm out of 9gram servos, though. I've only three left. Elevator and Rudder. That's two. My original design calls for one servo to actuate both ailerons. I might try to do that with my last 9 gram, or I might use two five gram. I'm scavenging the receiver from my DR1. It happens to be a RX6R and I happen to have a 5amp bec that I haven't used, yet. That works out pretty good!

Stick with me and you'll get to see a C-pack sized biplane rip the skies! At least that's the plan. ;)
And btw it wasn't you or the planes that made me join FT. it was more the opportunity to give you grief ( in a public forum) on a daily bases. that was the real lure.

Wildthing

Legendary member
At 36" WS I think you will really like it, it should be good even on the windier days. I have really gone to liking anywhere around that 1100mm to 1200mm WS, still flits into the back seat and they just are so much more stable. What you have for power setups will be part of your determining factor . Strength I have done 60" wings and with some added 6mm cf strips or even plywood they are plenty strong.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
buzzbomb I just finished building another one of rastersize slow-flying plane and I did some mods to it, hoping to maiden it on Saturday. I was looking around last night to see what plane I should build next SOOOO. thinking of doing another 150 MSbp. or maybe a 200 ? or maybe how ever big I can fit on a full sheet? what do you think?

Oh, I think you already know the answer to that question! Heck yeah! I don't know if it will hold together at 200%, without some support, though. As @Wildthing pointed out, powering it might be an issue as well. If you decide to do either, your more than welcome to throw it up on this thread. :)

And btw it wasn't you or the planes that made me join FT. it was more the opportunity to give you grief ( in a public forum) on a daily bases. that was the real lure.

Darn if that doesn't explain a lot! :LOL:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
thinking of doing another 150 MSbp. or maybe a 200 ?
What you have for power setups will be part of your determining factor
I would say it will get off the ground on the C pack at 200% but not climb with unlimited vertical. I have seen a guy do a 200% cub on a C pack and it did the job, yet Bens 200% Commuter, he used the monster radial to scale up the experience. So I would say you have a wide range of options.