Help! 150% Sparrow

OliverW

Legendary member
This thread has been moved to here now. Would any CAD people mind scaling up the FT sparrow to 150%? Thanks for your time.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
When you print it there should be an option to adjust the scale. Just remember, when you cut out you a and b folds to use the original gap as the scale adjustment will have made these too big.

mayan

Legendary member
When you print it there should be an option to adjust the scale. Just remember, when you cut out you a and b folds to use the original gap as the scale adjustment will have made these too big.

Or you’ll have to use a foam board that is 7.5mm which is 150% of the original size

Keno

I can give this a try if you want. The FT Sparrow is a lot of fun, had a falcon take a dive at mine but missed. Another chase a FT Bloody Wonder for awhile.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you scale it up using just enlarged plans you will find that the A and B fold channels are too large. If you do not want to alter the dimensions or cut the plans to reduce the channel widths and do not wish to use thicker material then there is an other method of ensuring that you have a truly scaled and solid build. Just have a quick read of:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/scaling-issues-in-fb.54265/

In my case I just use strips of Balsa of the appropriate thickness cut to the width of the FB thickness as the fill. The reason for the use of the Balsa is that it is as light as the FB and can be easily bent to follow curves where needed.

Just what works for me!

have fun!

OliverW

Legendary member
If you scale it up using just enlarged plans you will find that the A and B fold channels are too large. If you do not want to alter the dimensions or cut the plans to reduce the channel widths and do not to use thicker material then there is an other method of ensuring that you have a truly scaled and solid build. Just have a quick read of:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/scaling-issues-in-fb.54265/

In my case I just use strips of Balsa of the appropriate thickness cut to the width of the FB thickness as the fill. The reason for the use of the Balsa is that it is as light as the FB and can be easily bent to follow curves where needed.

Just what works for me!

have fun!
Thank you very much for telling me about this! Happy flying

Keno

Please give it a shot. I have a weird computer that can't upscale anything
We'll see what we can do. It will take a bit of time but we'll be back to you soon. I'll attach the dwgs to this reply when I get it done. Have fun chasing rabbits. 8/23/2018 A couple of things; I had to split the wing for it to be cut out on Adams foam board. Also note the wing spar is tripled. I hope I got all the adjustments that were need. If you are need help on printing PDF you can goto Nerdnic's thread in Plans. I hope every this goes well but keep in mind that I may have missed something. Scare the heck out of those rabbits..

9/12/2018 updated dwgs for printing (reduce page count)

Attachments

• ViaCAD Pro _ViaCAD Pro _FT SPARROW (pg1).pdf
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ViaCAD Pro _FT SPARROW (pg2).pdf
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

donalson

I'm working on a 200% sparrow... I just set adobe to print at 200%...

here's where we are right now... I went twin motor although it does have a motor out back (hidden in the pic)... i'm going to yank it off here soon but I haven't gotten around to it...

1536295281879.png

1536295301562.png

I ended up doubling up on the fuse side plates... but before I decided that I just cut the notch for a single sheet (1 sheet thickness instead of two)... it ended up working well except one location... the doubler on the nose expects the wrap around portion of the nose to be 2x as thick so it came out a bit too small...

1536295392190.png

also figuring out where to mount your servos can be a bit of a compromise... I mounted mine here... I will be doing some zip tie guides for the control rods...
1536295602581.png

the last thing is I doubled the thickness of the wing spar... i'm running with no dihedral (and a CF arrow as a spar)... note that I've relocated my servos, I sat them along the back of the spar with the bottom of the servo on the top of the wing with hopes that I don't need to support the MUCH shorter control rods... if I do I'll just step up the wire thickness or sleeve the wire.
1536295759289.png

Keno

I'm working on a 200% sparrow... I just set adobe to print at 200%...

here's where we are right now... I went twin motor although it does have a motor out back (hidden in the pic)... i'm going to yank it off here soon but I haven't gotten around to it...

View attachment 114071
View attachment 114072

I ended up doubling up on the fuse side plates... but before I decided that I just cut the notch for a single sheet (1 sheet thickness instead of two)... it ended up working well except one location... the doubler on the nose expects the wrap around portion of the nose to be 2x as thick so it came out a bit too small...

View attachment 114073

also figuring out where to mount your servos can be a bit of a compromise... I mounted mine here... I will be doing some zip tie guides for the control rods...
View attachment 114074

the last thing is I doubled the thickness of the wing spar... i'm running with no dihedral (and a CF arrow as a spar)... note that I've relocated my servos, I sat them along the back of the spar with the bottom of the servo on the top of the wing with hopes that I don't need to support the MUCH shorter control rods... if I do I'll just step up the wire thickness or sleeve the wire.
View attachment 114075
Like to see some inflight pixs

donalson

Like to see some inflight pixs

so would I lol... I hope to get the electronics installed this weekend... but my timeline to get a maiden is by or at FF Tx in november lol... I figure if I destroy it I'd rather it be at FF tx... I don't really plan on taking it home from FF tx anyway... so it'll prob end up traded or me pilfering the electronics and the carbon arrow spar... with that being said I may maiden her earlier just so I can get some bomb drops built on her...

mayan

Legendary member
so would I lol... I hope to get the electronics installed this weekend... but my timeline to get a maiden is by or at FF Tx in november lol... I figure if I destroy it I'd rather it be at FF tx... I don't really plan on taking it home from FF tx anyway... so it'll prob end up traded or me pilfering the electronics and the carbon arrow spar... with that being said I may maiden her earlier just so I can get some bomb drops built on her...

Sounds fun :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
So, just stumbled across this thread...
I notice most of the larger builds have ailerons... is that a necessity or just nice?

OliverW

Legendary member
So, just stumbled across this thread...
I notice most of the larger builds have ailerons... is that a necessity or just nice?
I would say a necessity. You would not really be able to turn all that well I imagine. I would build mine but it is 72 sheets of paper.....

Keno

I would say a necessity. You would not really be able to turn all that well I imagine. I would build mine but it is 72 sheets of paper.....
I see if I can reduce the number I drew up quickly and wanted get it out to you. I'll work on today

Keno

The 150% dwgs have been updated and can be found on my 8/22/2018 post. (reduced page count)