150% Tiny Trainer

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I would like to build a 150% to 160% Tiny Trainer. Has anyone done this ? If you have, can you post how it flew. Part of my plan is to make a full size power pod with the ' B ' pack motor. Do you see anything wrong with this idea ? Also, if you did this idea, what would you change if you needed to make a change ? I already have a Tiny Trainer but would like to have a bigger plane that could handle some wind. The nice thing about the Tiny Trainer, it is a nice simple build. One more thing. Want wing design would you go with ? Sport wing or the trainer wing ?

Thanks for any input,
Al

mach1 rc

Master member
Hi Everyone,

I would like to build a 150% to 160% Tiny Trainer. Has anyone done this ? If you have, can you post how it flew. Part of my plan is to make a full size power pod with the ' B ' pack motor. Do you see anything wrong with this idea ? Also, if you did this idea, what would you change if you needed to make a change ? I already have a Tiny Trainer but would like to have a bigger plane that could handle some wind. The nice thing about the Tiny Trainer, it is a nice simple build. One more thing. Want wing design would you go with ? Sport wing or the trainer wing ?

Thanks for any input,
Al
Sorry I've never flown a 150% tt but all of your ideas sound great. Of the wings I would do the sport.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Hey Al
(Can I call you Al?... P. Simon reference) :LOL:

Several of us have built and flown the mega trainer.
As you guessed it flies very much like the tiny version, only better!

I flew mine with a low-powered (read cheap/readytofly) 2212 a tad under powered for my tastes, but as I mentioned largely due to the cheap motor. I used a 2200 3 cell and it balanced fine. Probably could have flown for 20 minutes with that setup.

I went with the trainer wing just because I was introducing my son to the hobby.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

alan0043

Hey Al
(Can I call you Al?... P. Simon reference) :LOL:

Several of us have built and flown the mega trainer.
As you guessed it flies very much like the tiny version, only better!

I flew mine with a low-powered (read cheap/readytofly) 2212 a tad under powered for my tastes, but as I mentioned largely due to the cheap motor. I used a 2200 3 cell and it balanced fine. Probably could have flown for 20 minutes with that setup.

I went with the trainer wing just because I was introducing my son to the hobby.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Hi Kilroy,

You can call me Al. I did not know that there was a mega trainer out there. I will have a to a search on this plane. Maybe someone might have a link on this plane they can post. I think I just might go with the sport wing so I can fly 4 channel. What is the length of the wing on the mega trainer ?

Please keep the input coming,
Al

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member

alan0043

"Mega Trainer" is just something I came up with, a search probably won't come up with anything.
Try 150 trainer for example.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/150-un-tiny-trainer-build.59721/

I think (for me anyway) the challenge came from the stupid things to do with a trainer thread...
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ainer-the-challenge.57560/page-11#post-490229

At any rate, here was my video;

Again, I say go for it!

Timothy

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for the video and the threads. I liked how your plane flew. It looks like it can fly slow. That is what I am hoping can happen with the plane that I want to build. I'll check out the new threads.

I have a question for you. What is the length of your main wing ? I came up with the main wing being 56.250" at 150%.

I am enjoying all the info that is being posted.
Al

Last edited:

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing some research and finding out that the FT Explorer could help out with a lot of parts for and enlarger Tiny Trainer. It looks like you could use the main wing and the tail feathers. What do you guys like ?

Al

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to bring this back up to the top because I want to know what you guys think about using some of the FT Explorer parts to help build the ' Mega Trainer '. Please see my thread from above.

Open to all input,
Al

kilroy07

Legendary member
Hey Al-

I'm sure they will work great.
Part of the fun of foamboard is trying new designs and if they don't work out, pull the electronics and your only out a few dollars in material.