16" "Dead Simple" Flying Wing w/ VIDEO

PiperCub49

Hey guys,

A few days ago, I saw Chrizz's post about a flying wing and thought that it would be a fast and fun build, so I pulled out the paper, pencil, ruler, and calculator and scaled the plans down by hand.

It took about four to five hours of easy building. My brother and I are still working on getting it trimmed out (I'm sure we can all understand how finicky these wings are!). It has a surprisingly large flight envelope, which should make it a lot of fun once the CG and vertical thrust angle is matched correctly.

Here are some specs:

Material: 6mm fan-fold foam, 1mm depron
Wingspan: 15.7"
Airfoil: Kfm2
Weight w/ battery: 34.4g
Brick: AR6400
Motor: Bravo SX
Prop: GWS 5043
Battery: Hyperion 180mAh
All CF, pushrods, and torque tubes from battle-worn Sukhoi.

2011-12-12_21-30-45_66.jpg

HPIM1301.JPG

Any questions or comments? Please feel free to ask/post!

-Kody

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
:applause: Is the bric from something like a cub, ember or vapor or something faster like a mustang, extra?
Really nice to see an AR receiver with a Futaba ++++
The weight seems a litte higt - good for outdoor but will it fly easily indoor?

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
That is the smallest wing I have ever seen! I thought my SkyFighter is already small but THAT is a piece of art in size!
Congrats for the build

PiperCub49

:applause: Is the bric from something like a cub, ember or vapor or something faster like a mustang, extra?
Really nice to see an AR receiver with a Futaba ++++
The weight seems a litte higt - good for outdoor but will it fly easily indoor?

The brick is the same as or similar to those in the Mustang, Sukhoi, Extra, and T-28. I don't see a reason that any of the 3ch bricks couldn't be used though (i.e. Ember, Vapor, Cub, Champ).

I love my Futaba! There are just too many problems with the Spektrum TXs for me and the prices are outrageous! You can pick up a nice Futaba 9C and a Spektrum module for about $200. Now that is a steal! It's by far the best buy I've ever made in this hobby.

Nice and small! Thanks for sharing it!

Are you going to paint it?

Hey, Colorex. I don't see myself painting this one anytime soon since it's a MK I. Maybe I will on Mk II. This was really just a quick project between bigger builds. Still, it does seem to deserve some color, doesn't it?:rolleyes:

-Kody