175 percent Flitetest Long EZ

Tdugar

Ok I already built 4 flitetest plane models unfortunately I haven't flown neither one of them. I'm building a long ez but the flitetest plane is to small. If memory serves me correct I believe it's a 19 inch ws. I hope I'm calculating everything correctly with me upscaling it to 175 I believe itll bring the ws to 33.25 inches or 844.55 mm. My question is should I keep it a single sheet wing or make a wing with a spar in it. Any input would be appreciated

basslord1124

Master member
Make a wing with a spar.

I never did quite get the hang of the Long EZ at its original size. And those mishaps snapped the single sheet wing/canard pretty easily. So definitely go for a thicker wing.

Tdugar

I love the design but it made me feel as if I did a bigger one a tall piece of grass would destroy it. I was gonna go with a symmetrical design for the canards and build the wings asymmetric

Headbang

Master member
This sounds like a perfect application for @Hai-Lee's laminated wings. Basically strip the paper on the insides and sandwich together using white glue. I have done it and it makes a very strong wing. For shaping use an iron and make a nice rounded leading edge. Do a long taper taper on the top sheet from a few inches back to the hinge line(use a wood strait edge to guide the iron, do the trailing edge before laminating), leave the control surfaces on the bottom sheet as a single layer. You can put a spar in there too (did that with my viggen wing). Should make a fairly light strong solution.

Headbang

Master member
Original size long ez is a handful, but lots of fun! How can you go wrong with $1.25 of airframe! Large version might end up being $3.75! Can not wait to see it!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yes it would make a nice candidate for a KFM 2 wing with a CF spar buried in the sandwich! You could even do it as a fold over on the LE and so have a nice smooth and strong LE as well.

For a straight KFM 2 I would recommend yo make the top layer from the LE to half cord, (excluding the elevons). This means half way between the LE and the hinge line!

Have fun!

Tdugar

Original size long ez is a handful, but lots of fun! How can you go wrong with $1.25 of airframe! Large version might end up being $3.75! Can not wait to see it!
I'll take a picture when I get home I'm using a c pack motor it's exactly like the flight test model I built it exactly the same if it flops I'll do it again with a better wing design. But looking at it now its awesomeness lol

JennyC6

Elite member
:unsure: I almost wonder how well it would fly if it was scaled up to about 2m wingspan, made of fibreglass, and powered with something from JetCat...

Tdugar

Well this is my progress on my Ft Long Ez175 the cg is kinda neutral so I've made a tray for the battery to sit in so I can jam the battery all the way up the nose. I hope you all like it.
15681702459615428544842229168082.jpg
15681702459615428544842229168082.jpg
15681702707938904369500473893705.jpg
15681702968111067812967220546272.jpg