18/19 Build Along - BMJR Ugly-30

Try-n-glide

Starting a bit early, but the kit is here so why not. This is the Ugly-30 from BMJR Models. As the name suggests it is a 30" mini stick. It is +\- $67 delivered, comes with two wings, landing gear, a nice hardware pack, instructions, full size plans, and some very nicely laser cut sheets of balsa.

IMG_1296.JPG

Everything looks very nice. The laser cutting seems top notch. This is however a "build on plan" model, at least with respect to the wing.

IMG_1298.JPG

So far so good. Not yet back in building mode I found the instructions a bit vague on the spar construction, it is two 1/8" balsa sticks stacked. Anyway moving along with the construction process as time allows.

IMG_1297.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looks like a well put together kit, and the instruction quality looks very encouraging too! :D

Try-n-glide

Looks like a well put together kit, and the instruction quality looks very encouraging too! :D

Yes, everything seems quite well done.

I did put a 12" 1/32" ply doubler on the main spar as I thought it a little flimsy. As I move along I find myself wishing I had extended the double spar and my home brew doubler out even farther. The 1/8" square spars seem floppy at the wing tips. I'll have to have faith that the designer knew his business and it will all come together strong when finished.

My ply doubler on the back of the spar:

IMG_1301.JPG

I am building the symmetrical sport wing (instead of the trainer wing also in the kit). You can see the TE is "blocked up" so it builds flat. BMJR very thoughtfully includes 1/2" blocks to do the job with. A nice touch.
IMG_1300.JPG
My

Try-n-glide

Wing is framed up. Better strength that I originally thought, but I really wish I had extended the double spar one or even two bays. I'm sure it will be fine with covering on, but I'd rather add the couple grams (at most) and have a stronger wing.

Anyway it is moving along smoothly and on to the stab.

IMG_1302.JPG

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
Gotta love the Stik. Looks like an easy build. I like airplanes around this size so they can be flown at parks and don't need airfields. Easy to transport.

Try-n-glide

Yes at this rate I'll need another kit to give me something to do when winter actually hits!

Tail is framed up. Hit my first real snag - the model is designed for a stick style motor mount - you can see the firewall in the foreground. Obviously that won't work with a quad motor (which is what I have on hand). I expect and mount on firewall motor requires a substantially stronger structure than stick style. So I'll likely have to scratch one from plywood. So far this is my only real big gripe. I think in today's market another firewall for standard mounts should be included.

IMG_1306.JPG

jsknockoff

Mentor
Wing is framed up. Better strength that I originally thought, but I really wish I had extended the double spar one or even two bays. I'm sure it will be fine with covering on, but I'd rather add the couple grams (at most) and have a stronger wing.

Anyway it is moving along smoothly and on to the stab.

To stiffen the wing up a little you could always add some balsa shear webbing between the ribs. If you used very thin balsa it would add little weight and increase rigidity significantly.

Try-n-glide

Great idea. I'll take a look around the balsa pile and maybe try to add some shear webs.

Been a while since I got much done. I found out the wing doesn't fit the saddle well. I received a response from BMJR that it is a result of being fitted for two different wings.

IMG_1314.JPG

I decided to shave 3/16" off the top of the entire front deck to better flow into the wing. I'll have to re-do the wing hold down dowels as a result.

And I decided to simply laminate a FT motor mount to the back of the stock firewall. This will give me a modern motor mount.

IMG_1315.JPG

This picture also shows my next mod on the list. I cut a hole in F2 (under the battery) to make a space for a battery tray. I'll put the ESC under the battery tray. This gives me a clean space to adjust battery location for CG adjustment.

Try-n-glide

Worked on hinges, attached the firewall, and reinforced the fuse under the landing gear area with 1/32" ply. Need to get the servos in and pushrods arranged so I can glue the turtle deck on next.

IMG_1317.JPG

Try-n-glide

Bent and drilled the LG. Still need some tweaking. This pic shows the 1/32" ply reinforcement I added to the bottom.

IMG_1323.JPG

I decided to use a set of ultralight wheels. They will save me 10g over the wheels from the kit.

Couldn't resist the temptation to put the parts together and make airplane sounds :)

IMG_1322.JPG

Try-n-glide

Progress has been slow for a while. Started covering the tail last night with laminating film. At least for flat structures this stuff lays down _incredibly_ easy. It took longer for the iron to heat up than to cover the rudder.....

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

TooJung2Die

Master member
1.7mil "New Stuff" from Aloft Hobbies
I read the reviews on Aloft. Laminating film has caught on as an alternative covering for wood and foam. The advantage of buying from Aloft is they sell by the foot and you aren't stuck with buying a huge quantity from the manufacturer. It took me a few airplanes to learn how to apply it over compound curves. I get the best results using a heat gun set on low.

Try-n-glide

Covered the wing. Rushed it a bit with a single piece of laminating film. Turned out ok, but not great.

Finished up my second modification to the kit - adding a raised battery tray. The ESC will go under the tray and the batt will slip through the front former when the wing is off.

IMG_1332.JPG