18" Mighty Mini FT-22 - LocalFiend Version

elvin

Yeah guess I have to put battery on it's side. But personally I feel putting velcros on the sidewall are not that easy to push in/pull out batteries, especially when the height of my 850 3s is just a few mm narrower than the width of the nose.

I'm also going to put some 9g servos on the tail to see how it balance out. Will update.

WP_20160312_18_24_03_Pro__highres.jpg

Just finished building. With 2 9g servos on the tail positioned as shown above. I can balance it easily with 500mah 2s all up to 850mah 3s in the nose. No need to do any mod or put battery outside the nose.:cool:

BigShooter

I'll be building one of these tomorrow! This is just what I've been looking for. I've got an FT Arrow that I was getting bored with, so time to swap it over.
I have been wondering if a KF step on the wing would benefit the flying characteristics of something like this. I might give it a try and see

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
View attachment 65650

Just finished building. With 2 9g servos on the tail positioned as shown above. I can balance it easily with 500mah 2s all up to 850mah 3s in the nose. No need to do any mod or put battery outside the nose.:cool:

Cool, good to hear that everything fits and balances better with stuff in the rear. I need to build another one, but I'm out of foam.

I'll be building one of these tomorrow! This is just what I've been looking for. I've got an FT Arrow that I was getting bored with, so time to swap it over.
I have been wondering if a KF step on the wing would benefit the flying characteristics of something like this. I might give it a try and see

KF step would be interesting. I'm betting you would probably only see a change if you used a lighter power setup with this thing being so small. Maybe an A pack motor and a 500mAh 2s battery. Of course, then it wouldn't be nearly as fast.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Ok, I've updated the plans to Beta v.4

Mighty Mini FT-22 Beta v.4 - Tiled

This change increases the bottom plate width a bit, gets rid of the bottom plate to fuse gap, and moves the servos back behind the prop slot. Only had time to do the tiled version, I'll get the full one printed to pdf soon.

BigShooter

Ok, I've updated the plans to Beta v.4

Mighty Mini FT-22 Beta v.4 - Tiled

This change increases the bottom plate width a bit, gets rid of the bottom plate to fuse gap, and moves the servos back behind the prop slot. Only had time to do the tiled version, I'll get the full one printed to pdf soon.

Hey! Just n time. I'll be printing them up tomorrow.
I'm gonna try the KF step and see how it does. If nothing else, it should help strengthen the wings and prevent wrappage a bit

elvin

Hey! Just n time. I'll be printing them up tomorrow.
I'm gonna try the KF step and see how it does. If nothing else, it should help strengthen the wings and prevent wrappage a bit

I'm also thinking KF step on this one, do let us know how it turns out;)

BigShooter

Well, as I had mentioned I would do, i printed up the plans today and got to building.
I have to give a big shout out and many props to localfiend for making this design, and putting together really great plans for us to use. Thank you so much!
I wanted to try something on this plane that i had thought would have been great to have on my full-size FT-22, and that is a KF stepped airfoil. The biggest benefit I think it would have on it is wing rigidity. I had wrinkled my full-size's wings somewhat from wing launching. So, some added strength would have to be a plus. If it helps flying characteristics as well, all the better.
So, here is a series of pics to show how I went about my build:
First, I used paper to locate and pattern where I wanted the KF step, and its width. Then, using the cut out plan as a guide, I located the edge that would join the fuselage sides, and then taped it to the wing plan. Not seen in the pic, I also went ahead and joined the horizontal stabs to the plan so I could cut them out in one piece similar to the FT-22.
IMG_20160313_132328_320.jpg IMG_20160313_132355_325.jpg IMG_20160313_132408_963.jpg
After cutting out the wing panel, I beveled the inside of the leading edge, and worked it over the top of the wing in the usual fashion until it laid flat on the top. I also put a bevel on the underside of the front piece that lays across the top of the "engine duct" to give it a more stream-lined appearance when glued down. Hot glue was apply to this bevel first, and pressed down till dry. Then, glue was applied to the trailing edge of the step, and hot glue flush. This also provides an extra shoulder for the top fuselage sides to be glued to.
IMG_20160313_154852_934.jpg IMG_20160313_155103_672.jpg IMG_20160313_160530_469.jpg
I pulled my power pod directly out of my FT Mini Arrow, and fastened it with BBQ skewers. I also decided to make a hatch over the top between the canopy and the power pod to allow better access to the internals. I will fasten this down with tape that can be easily cut if the hatch needs to be removed. I also had to slightly enlarge the prop slot for my motor and prop set-up.
IMG_20160313_203516_055.jpg IMG_20160313_203404_405.jpg
Only thing left to do was give it a quick cheesy paint job.
IMG_20160313_215455_533.jpg IMG_20160313_215511_294.jpg
If the weather holds out, I will give it a maiden tomorrow. I can not hardly wait! This thing should be an absolute rocket. The motor testing I have done, in putting it all together, has shown that it should be able to vertical launch with ease.
As to my set-up, it has a 2204 2300KV, two 9 gram servos, 12 amp speed control, FlySky 6-channel receiver, and 500mah 3s that balances it out at about the middle of the cockpit. I'm thinking my 800mah 3s should work as well back towards the back of the cockpit.
I'm stoked to try this thing out!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Cool man, interested to see what that does. Might try it on my next one, as I already have a baseline for what the plane can do.

Sounds like you've essentially got an F pack motor, which should be a rocket. Vertical takeoffs with an F pack would not be a problem. If you're going to be flying fast, use low rates, especially if you're not used to jet behavior. The high rates are for low speed flying, if you use them for high speed you run the risk of putting the plane into the typical jet spiral of death.

BigShooter

Cool man, interested to see what that does. Might try it on my next one, as I already have a baseline for what the plane can do.

Sounds like you've essentially got an F pack motor, which should be a rocket. Vertical takeoffs with an F pack would not be a problem. If you're going to be flying fast, use low rates, especially if you're not used to jet behavior. The high rates are for low speed flying, if you use them for high speed you run the risk of putting the plane into the typical jet spiral of death.

I'll give a report later if the wind doesn't get too crazy.With the way my controls throws came out, I only have about 20% of throw. So, that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully it is sufficient. Otherwise, I'll have to pull the servo arms and move the push rods out a hole.

RJGrewe52771

Fun flyer! thanks for the plans.. quick and easy... I thought it ran good on a 1806... Great on a 2204 3s.. and absolutely insane on a 2208 2600kv 4s.. see building... must turn.. Ooops can't ... no more plane... BUT... it was fun. building #2 this weekend... maybe I'll stick to 3s... But probably not.

BigShooter

I finally had a chance to fly the KF version today. Man, idoes it scoot! The wind was still up quiet a bit. With the 500mah 3s, the wind actually blew it back around a couple of times when turning into it above the tree tops. That made for some interesting force tions, let me tell ya. tracks pretty sand good, but its still a bit of a hand full. I stuck in a 800mah 3s, and it handled the wind much better. I was flying with a 6x3; but, I'm thinking a 5x5 will be much better. I will be trying that next.
I can't comment on whether the KF step is an improvement, as far as flight. characteristics go. However, it does fly with it rather well, and it definitely adds strength to the wing. I'm hoping for a calmer day soon, so I can see how it preforms at a slower speed. The wind just wouldn't allow it today.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Fun flyer! thanks for the plans.. quick and easy... I thought it ran good on a 1806... Great on a 2204 3s.. and absolutely insane on a 2208 2600kv 4s.. see building... must turn.. Ooops can't ... no more plane... BUT... it was fun. building #2 this weekend... maybe I'll stick to 3s... But probably not.

Haha, a 2208 on 4s would be a bit nuts. Did you overpower the servos or was it just flying too fast for your thumbs?

I finally had a chance to fly the KF version today. Man, idoes it scoot! The wind was still up quiet a bit. With the 500mah 3s, the wind actually blew it back around a couple of times when turning into it above the tree tops. That made for some interesting force tions, let me tell ya. tracks pretty sand good, but its still a bit of a hand full. I stuck in a 800mah 3s, and it handled the wind much better. I was flying with a 6x3; but, I'm thinking a 5x5 will be much better. I will be trying that next.
I can't comment on whether the KF step is an improvement, as far as flight. characteristics go. However, it does fly with it rather well, and it definitely adds strength to the wing. I'm hoping for a calmer day soon, so I can see how it preforms at a slower speed. The wind just wouldn't allow it today.

With the motor you have, I've found 6045 HQ props to be best for speed on 3s. Seems to be a big difference between a 6x3 and a 6045.

BigShooter

With the motor you have, I've found 6045 HQ props to be best for speed on 3s. Seems to be a big difference between a 6x3 and a 6045.[/QUOTE]

I might have to order some of those and give it a try. 5x5s and 6x3s are all I have on hand. The biggest difference I've noticed between the two on other smaller builds is that the 5s seem to have more grunt down low to help pull ya out of trouble and better climb.

RJGrewe52771

Haha, a 2208 on 4s would be a bit nuts. Did you overpower the servos or was it just flying too fast for your thumbs?

well I'm not really sure ... All I know is that either the building moved really fast or the plane did... but I do know is I'm a novice flyer and a spectacular crasher.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Cool man. I like the darker edges.

I wonder if I shouldn't come up with a different name for this now that Flite Test has released their own version. This one is smaller and faster, but the Flitetest version should be a more gentle flyer.

Shashika

I was waiting to have Flitetest plan ,but seems i can go ahead with you one ,
thanks buddy ,will update the build (if you have a build video ,please be kind enough to share it )