18" Mighty Mini FT-22 - LocalFiend Version

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I was waiting to have Flitetest plan ,but seems i can go ahead with you one ,
thanks buddy ,will update the build (if you have a build video ,please be kind enough to share it )

Don't have a build video, but if you watch Flite Test's full size FT22 video and read this thread you should have all you need. Not much changed between this one and the big one.

http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-22-raptor-build

I am guessing the flat side like the Arrow but I don't know that for sure.

Yep, flat side like the arrow. You don't want any thrust angle here.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Heh, if you're looking for a build video, Flite Test just released theirs, plans are out as well.

Didn't realize when I drew up the plans for this that Flite Test was doing the same thing. According to the plans, theirs has a wingspan of 20 inches while mine is 18 inches.

If you're going for rocket ship power, build the smaller one, but if you're looking for something more rounded I'd imagine Flite Test's version is easier to fly.

I've requested that the thread title be changed. Don't want to confuse this with the actual plane released by Flite Test.

Last edited:

mesolost

Putting the battery in sideways should be easy. Keep a piece of paper handy and cover the velcro in the nose, slide battery in, then pull paper out from between velcro. Using that method for extraction would need a gift card or something as stiff.

Last edited:
Finished the mini last night. All taped up. See how the maiden goes.
image.jpeg

Shashika

Heh, if you're looking for a build video, Flite Test just released theirs, plans are out as well.

Didn't realize when I drew up the plans for this that Flite Test was doing the same thing. According to the plans, theirs has a wingspan of 20 inches while mine is 18 inches.

If you're going for rocket ship power, build the smaller one, but if you're looking for something more rounded I'd imagine Flite Test's version is easier to fly.

I've requested that the thread title be changed. Don't want to confuse this with the actual plane released by Flite Test.

hey this is my first jet ,whats your advice 20 or 18 ,i already cut out ur one ,give me a hint as this is the first jet/plane for me

hey this is my first jet ,whats your advice 20 or 18 ,i already cut out ur one ,give me a hint as this is the first jet/plane for me

I dont think its much of a difference. This was my first jet and I just maiden it this morning. Its a fun little jet. Looks cool in the air. Im running a emax 2204 2300kv with a 1300 3s. Flies at alittle more than 1/2 throttle. Gonna build another as a back up.

Shashika

do you have a video ,
plan to use
LDPOWER MT1806-2280KV Brushless Multicopter Motor
Turnigy TGY-1551A Analog Micro Servo 1.0kg /0.08sec /5g
Hobbyking™ Propeller 6x3 Black

and 800mah 3S with 30 amp ESC(used one )

this weekend will fly for sure

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
do you have a video ,
plan to use
LDPOWER MT1806-2280KV Brushless Multicopter Motor
Turnigy TGY-1551A Analog Micro Servo 1.0kg /0.08sec /5g
Hobbyking™ Propeller 6x3 Black

and 800mah 3S with 30 amp ESC(used one )

this weekend will fly for sure

Do you mean videos other than a build video? Cause I don't have one of those as I answered above. You can however follow along with Flite Test's build video, they're pretty much the same plane. There are plenty of flight videos if you look through the first few pages.

Sounds like your electronics should be a good fit. The ESC is overkill and probably a tad heavy, but if it's all you've got it should serve just fine.

Shashika

Do you mean videos other than a build video? Cause I don't have one of those as I answered above. You can however follow along with Flite Test's build video, they're pretty much the same plane. There are plenty of flight videos if you look through the first few pages.

Sounds like your electronics should be a good fit. The ESC is overkill and probably a tad heavy, but if it's all you've got it should serve just fine.

As i said i already cut off the 18 plan and will proceed ,yes ESC is all i have (its a extra one from my quad ),
lets see how it perform,
expecting big crash

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
As i said i already cut off the 18 plan and will proceed ,yes ESC is all i have (its a extra one from my quad ),
lets see how it perform,
expecting big crash

Big crashes can be fun. ;) Hard to kill one of these planes though if you don't care about it looking pretty. Slather on the glue or tape and get back in the air.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Blue Angles inspired paint scheme. Unfortunately I have had Van Halen and Kenny Loggins stuck in my brain since I started the build.

The maiden today was a success but I had to add a lot of mechanical up elevator. The plane is quite nose heavy.

IMG_0917.JPG

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Blue Angles inspired paint scheme. Unfortunately I have had Van Halen and Kenny Loggins stuck in my brain since I started the build.

The maiden today was a success but I had to add a lot of mechanical up elevator. The plane is quite nose heavy.

View attachment 66939

Haha. Looks good.

I don't recall having to add much reflex to the elevators on mine. If you can't move the battery back any further you should probably add a bit of weight to the tail so that it balances on the CG point called for in the plans. I think you'll be happier with it balanced.

What electronics are you using out of curiosity?

Capt_Beavis

basic F-pack stuff. I could move the Rx back a bit more.

I just tried the 800 and it fits better and balances.

Last edited:

Capt_Beavis

I figured out part of what I didn't like flying it. Delta Rays (yes, plural I have 3) and an FT Arrow so I am used to bank and yank. I am not used to have ailerons do NOTHING to change the course of the plane though. I felt like I was going to lose the plane for a second or two each time I went to turn. Flying without an airfoil is strange.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I figured out part of what I didn't like flying it. Delta Rays (yes, plural I have 3) and an FT Arrow so I am used to bank and yank. I am not used to have ailerons do NOTHING to change the course of the plane though. I felt like I was going to lose the plane for a second or two each time I went to turn. Flying without an airfoil is strange.

Hehe, yeah, jets like this fly a bit different. When you roll with ailerons, all that happens is you roll, and the plane keeps going perfectly straight. I like it, but it certainly is different.

Capt_Beavis

I "knew" that, I understand the physics but somehow it still seemed unatural. I think I will get to enjoy it more as I get used to it.