180% FT Racer

Is this a good setup?

• Total voters

orange_rc_pilot

If he can, then so can I!
I'm thinking of building a 180% FT Racer over Christmas, and I am not quite sure that I'm using the best power setup. My aim is to fly at 70mph (112kph) for fast low passes, but also to be able to fly a gentle 35mph (56kph) for smooth scale flight. I will be using a 50-sized motor, with 2000w and 580kv, running 4400mAh 6s and a 15x8 prop. Having used both Webocalc and HobbyKing's prop test data, I have established that I will have 6kg (13lbs) of thrust (give or take a few hundred grams). I am estimating an A.U.W. of 3.5-4.0kg (7.7-8.8lbs), and I was wondering whether my system is about right, under-powered or over-powered.

All comments are appreciated.:):):)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Sounds like you're using the NTM 50-50. I don't think you'll get 70mph with that prop. I plan to run that same motor on my 1450mm nnP-39 with a 13x13 on 6s.

orange_rc_pilot

Sounds like you're using the NTM 50-50. I don't think you'll get 70mph with that prop. I plan to run that same motor on my 1450mm nnP-39 with a 13x13 on 6s.

I might actually use a 16x10; I know it doesn't mention that in the prop test data, but I think it will be good. If I were running full throttle all the time, I might burn the ESC with a 16x10, but I rarely will (only for the occasional low pass).

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I think the 50-50 is a fine motor, you just need more pitch on your prop. A 16x10 might work but you'll definitely over amp the motor. I don't have any experience pushing this motor yet so I can't comment on how it will hold up.

orange_rc_pilot

I think the 50-50 is a fine motor, you just need more pitch on your prop. A 16x10 might work but you'll definitely over amp the motor. I don't have any experience pushing this motor yet so I can't comment on how it will hold up.

I might just get a higher amp ESC. Or never fly at full throttle.