1924 Lincoln Sport - For a Friend

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@Forster - Thank you for the Panel. Makes me think I should get a hole puncher.

More Progress:
I realized I needed to have a way to link the Fuselage to the Lower wing, and the upper truss frame is critical to build success. The vertical piece is two gift cards laminating a foam board piece.
I will use that as a battery platform support.

index.php

See the grooved cut in the underside to accept the skewers. Simply peel the paper, and pick out the foam to glue in the cut BBQ skewer
LS22UpperFrame.JPG

In the Picture below note the groove in the bottom of the upper wing to accept the truss, and the laminated vertical piece (spline) with the matching slot in the fuse. The spline is notched to go over the lower wing spar, to maintain structural integrity of the wing.
LS23Pieces.JPG

As I place the Upper truss, I notice the cockpit seat is too big and far forward...

My goal is to have this flown by the end of memorial day! (Monday)

Attachments

• LS21 FuselageWingLink.JPG
    LS21 FuselageWingLink.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
It's looking great. Makes me wonder about my S.E.5a from a scout project. I've been toying with wooden struts attached with pushrod wire (taking the place of the rigging wire) or just leaving them off. I maidened it without the struts and it still looks great from 20'.

FoamyDM

I just figured a way to get form strong light landing gear for this plane. The pieces in the wing go in at a slight angle.
IMG_20200130_011658030.jpg

Then we find the Auw is just over 300g
IMG_20200130_011513096.jpg

Now for pre-maiden Glamour shots.
IMG_20200130_011533779.jpg
IMG_20200130_011544719.jpg

FoamyDM

I was looking at some of the pictures, and I wonder if you could use a planking method for the fuelage?
I probably could. Heck I could build it in balsa
Awesome subject choice for a barnstormer! How big are you thinking of building it?
I appreciate the encouragement. it will likely be 1/4 scale at 50"ws, or 1/2 scale at 100". 1/4 scale fits teh building material easiest. (2-30" sheets. 9" chords... I could score and fold the skin for a Light but rigid Fuse design, so it looks planked (or maybe it is.)
:confused:Transporting more than 12' becomes problematic.... 1/2 scale max

:unsure:
I feel like I could build one full scale in my Garage for 10k. 1.5 for a 40hp paramotor engine, a 5' prop for one as well - 1.5k. the rest is wood wire and pipe. (maybe some off-road stroller or bike tires. the kids don't use them much anyway.:D)

cyclone3350

Master member
I probably could. Heck I could build it in balsa

I appreciate the encouragement. it will likely be 1/4 scale at 50"ws, or 1/2 scale at 100". 1/4 scale fits teh building material easiest. (2-30" sheets. 9" chords... I could score and fold the skin for a Light but rigid Fuse design, so it looks planked (or maybe it is.)
:confused:Transporting more than 12' becomes problematic.... 1/2 scale max

:unsure:
I feel like I could build one full scale in my Garage for 10k. 1.5 for a 40hp paramotor engine, a 5' prop for one as well - 1.5k. the rest is wood wire and pipe. (maybe some off-road stroller or bike tires. the kids don't use them much anyway.:D)

I second @FlyingTyger comment on an awesome choice for a barnstormer. Now I triple dog dare U for a 1/2 scale :ROFLMAO:

FoamyDM

@cyclone3350 - I see what you did there.
1663900106219.png

I will likely design up a number of sizes... see which one is stupid and too far and reasonable. I will like go with too far.
I'm thinking 1/2 scale, and design it similar to the Clurichaun. (trussed FB)
-Matt

Last edited:

FoamyDM

As I scale this... I am looking at the Scaled prop size thinking... I don't have those.... at all.
4 25kg or 35kg servos... Cheap enough. the wing should be easy enough @ 10' the fuse at 12"x80.75".
Then I look at the Power system. I have a 4260 600kv motor (chart below.) some 16x8 props for it (I think)
This System seem like a fit, though, it is small for a scale prop.
1663943955614.png

So now to think about how I will be constructing this bird. At 1/2 scale the spars are 1.5"x0.5" and 1"x0.44" front and back respectively.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
I think the power is fine as far as weight, but I fear the drag of a 10' bipe will be too much for it. But I've been wrong before. It sure would be a nice plane for a 1/2 scaler.

FoamyDM

I think the power is fine as far as weight, but I fear the drag of a 10' bipe will be too much for it. But I've been wrong before. It sure would be a nice plane for a 1/2 scaler.
30" props on electric is a 100kv 12S. not out of sorts, but not easy for my existing budgets ATM. I am still working this one out.

cyclone3350

Master member

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
a great way to get close to 30' props is that you can run 28x10 on the big turnigy 6575 motors. 8s on maybe a 120a speed control