1938 "Twin Cyclone" Free Flight to RC conversion

TooJung2Die

Master member
Ready for the maiden flight.

IMG_2023crop.jpg

IMG_2024crop.jpg

The drawing had the front wing hold-down dowel sideways through the nose, below the windshield. I made it a single dowel through the windshield in front like the full scale Twin Cyclone for a cleaner look. It needed 1 ounce of lead ballast behind the firewall to balance. All up weight is 7.3 ounces (208 grams).

I predict the tissue covering will not be permanent. The tissue is very fragile and I used it because I wanted it to look authentic. We'll see how long it holds up. Someday I'll strip it and cover it with document laminating film or Polyspan.

This is a funky weird looking old timer. :)

Jon

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
No flight report yet, we were out of town for a couple of weeks. I made a couple of additions. There was too much flex in the torsion rod at the tail so support was added. It moves the rudders better.

IMG_2047crop.jpg

The name "Twin Cyclone" is a lot of letters to apply without messing up so I came up with this graphic instead.

IMG_2045close.jpg

The weather is looking pretty good so here's hoping the maiden flight happens today. :cool:(y)

Jon

TooJung2Die

Master member
Maiden Flight

Yes, we have video proof! :) I put together a build slideshow with some never before seen photos of the build followed by an edited video of the Maiden flight. Flight begins at 3:30 of the video if you want to jump over the slideshow.

I almost chickened out because of the wind. It was gusty and gets swirly down low over our airfield. It flies great. It glides forever. I got her back down with a soft tumble in the grass. Not a scratch on it. (y)

IMG_2043crop2.jpg

Jon

Last edited:

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Maiden Flight

Yes, we have video proof! :) I put together a build slideshow with never before seen photos of the build followed by an edited video of the Maiden flight. Flight begins at 3:30 of the video if you want to jump over the slideshow.

I almost chickened out because of the wind. It was gusty and gets swirly down low over our airfield. It flies great. It glides forever. I got her back down with a soft tumble in the grass. Not a scratch on it. (y)

View attachment 170455

Jon

Awesome job! Beautiful plane!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky

TooJung2Die

Master member
I took the Twin Cyclone out once more this week. Under calmer conditions I got it trimmed. It's a glider. By using the motor as little as possible it can really stretch out the battery life.

Something odd happened a few times. At a long distance away it would go full up elevator and start porpoising. A few seconds later everything would return to normal. A flying buddy asked me how I had the fail-safe set up. I don't have fail-safe set up on any of my receivers. I didn't know how so I looked it up and learned two important features of the FlySky FS-i6 radio I never knew.
  1. You can set fail-safe to move the servos and throttle to any preset you want when radio link is lost. All you have to do is push a button on the receiver when the transmitter sticks are where you want them.
  2. There is a throttle kill switch on the transmitter. All you have to do is enable it and set the throttle hold to 0%.
I had this radio for 5 years and just learned this? Duh! :geek: The airplane was briefly losing the link to the transmitter and going into fail-safe. The receiver fail-safe was set at the factory with channel 2 to go to zero (full up elevator). I might've had the antenna pointing directly at the airplane. Now I don't have to worry about accidentally bumping the throttle stick when the airplane is on the ground. The factory user manual sucks.

Pre-WW2 Old Timers

IMG_2123crop.jpg

Group photo. The three 1930-40's pre-war free-flight old timers I got from Penn Valley Hobby when they closed. All have been converted to 3 channel RC. Left to right: So-Long, Contest Commercial, Twin Cyclone. All three are awesome gliders.

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
I took the Twin Cyclone out once more this week. Under calmer conditions I got it trimmed. It's a glider. By using the motor as little as possible it can really stretch out the battery life.

Something odd happened a few times. At a long distance away it would go full up elevator and start porpoising. A few seconds later everything would return to normal. A flying buddy asked me how I had the fail-safe set up. I don't have fail-safe set up on any of my receivers. I didn't know how so I looked it up and learned two important features of the FlySky FS-i6 radio I never knew.
  1. You can set fail-safe to move the servos and throttle to any preset you want when radio link is lost. All you have to do is push a button on the receiver when the transmitter sticks are where you want them.
  2. There is a throttle kill switch on the transmitter. All you have to do is enable it and set the throttle hold to 0%.
I had this radio for 5 years and just learned this? Duh! :geek: The airplane was briefly losing the link to the transmitter and going into fail-safe. The receiver fail-safe was set at the factory with channel 2 to go to zero (full up elevator). I might've had the antenna pointing directly at the airplane. Now I don't have to worry about accidentally bumping the throttle stick when the airplane is on the ground. The factory user manual sucks.

Pre-WW2 Old Timers

View attachment 171067

The three 1930-40's pre-war free flight old timers I got from Penn Valley Hobby when they closed. All have been converted to 3 channel RC. Left to right: So-Long, Contest Commercial, Twin Cyclone. All three are awesome gliders.
The Cyclone is definitely the best looking of the 3!!

TooJung2Die

Master member
No diversity antenna? I think that might be why...
Another darn thing you made me look up. :) The transmitter has diversity antennas but these little FlySky 3 channel AFHDS receivers do not. I thought I might have noticed an occasional signal loss but if the fail-safe is set to everything neutral it is hard to tell. The full up elevator was a clue. All the newer FlySky AFHDS-2 receivers have diversity antenna. They have been range tested in the field to beyond 2 km. That's what I use when 4 or more channels are needed.

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I just looked at the pic of the receiver setup you posted on page 1 and I think I see the issue. It's a car receiver, no wonder there's no diversity antenna... usually on the ground you start to have visibility before range issues. I've used that exact receiver in cars before with no issues so it's fine in its given role.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I think I see the issue. It's a car receiver
Yes, they sell it as a car/boat receiver. Channel 2 is the throttle on cars (boats too?) so that's why channel 2 is set to 0% in fail-safe mode. It stops the car.

Lots of people use it for small fixed wing aircraft that never get flown higher than a few hundred feet. No further than line of sight, anyway. I have this receiver in several airplanes including all three pictured above. I tested the fail-safe and it takes about 3 seconds to activate. Most signal loss is likely to be much shorter so I never noticed it.

I flew the Ranger 30 today with the same receiver. The fail-safe was set for cars too. I never had that one go full elevator during flight. They're very inexpensive receivers so the QA may not be the greatest.

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
This 3 channel FlySky receiver is defective. I had no issues with losing connection on the maiden flight but every time I've flown since the problem got worse. I considered repositioning the antenna but can't risk crashing this airplane by experimentation. I put in a FS-iA6 receiver with diversity antenna. It fit after trimming the elevator servo arm a bit. This receiver is reliable way beyond LOS flight so there won't be any more radio issues. The antenna tips are at right angles and separated.

FS-iA6.jpg

The fail-safe on the AFHDS-2 receivers is set on the transmitter in the RX setup menu instead of a button on the receiver like the older AFHDS. The receiver must have built in memory so it knows what to do when the transmitter signal is lost.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I had it out for a nice 20 minute flight today. No radio glitches with the new receiver. I was able to enjoy flying it without worry. It's a no stress fun flier. Power climb, long lazy glide down, repeat. Or just cruise around slowly at 1/4 throttle. :cool: I could've easily stretched the flight out to at least a half an hour on a 500mAh 2S battery.