1handed need help

j.lycan88

Ive been into fpv for 2 years now but recently had an accident where my right hand thumb had to get amputated. My right hand is non-functinal. Ive looked all over for a solution so i can fly my quadcopters with 1hand. I saw a post where someone used a joystick and modified thrir transmitter. I dont h as ve access to 3dprinter or tools at the moment

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ive been into fpv for 2 years now but recently had an accident where my right hand thumb had to get amputated. My right hand is non-functinal. Ive looked all over for a solution so i can fly my quadcopters with 1hand. I saw a post where someone used a joystick and modified thrir transmitter. I dont h as ve access to 3dprinter or tools at the moment
Sometimes libraries have 3d printers, you could see if any of your local libraries have one. You could also try and find a 3D printing service.

Where are you located? If your in the US, I could print up a joystick for you.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Rotor Riot had an old episode (spot hidden FT cast member) with a guy flying one handed.

You might want to try a few options in sim first to save crashes. Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you recover in time.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I recall seeing a Tx mod with a single sick. They added twist knob onto the end of a normal stick for a 3rd channel. Maybe flying a quad with collative pitch props.

Reactions: FDS

j.lycan88

Sometimes libraries have 3d printers, you could see if any of your local libraries have one. You could also try and find a 3D printing service.

Where are you located? If your in the US, I could print up a joystick for you.
Im located in sacramento,ca. That would be awesome. I have a few ideas

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I recall seeing a Tx mod with a single sick. They added twist knob onto the end of a normal stick for a 3rd channel. Maybe flying a quad with collative pitch props.

A guy at our field has a Tx like that, he put the yaw on the twisty bit and throttle on a switch. Unfortunately with quads you need finer control of throttle than just off/half/full.

Piotrsko

Master member
I have a couple of game joysticks that have a squeeze trigger for speed and rotate in addition to LR UD controls and all axis trims. Change the pots to match the ones in the transmitter and plug it into the buddy box port. Worse case an arduino style translator. Transmitter don't have to be hand held, could be on a tripod with a 10ft cord.

Last edited:

Ihichi Bolls

I have a couple of game joysticks that have a squeeze trigger for speed and rotate in addition to LR UD controls and all axis trims. Change the pots to match the ones in the transmitter and plug it into the buddy box port. Worse case an arduino style translator. Transmitter don't have to be hand held, could be on a tripod with a 10ft cord.

Or on a snare stand hehe

IMG_1094.JPG

KSP_CPA

The Spketrum Dx9 has a knob above the right stick. Taking quick look through the manual looks like the knob can be programmed for throttle control for both heli and plane use. That transmitter is quite expensive but it could work without extra hardware. I’m a plane guy so heli controls are a foreign language...

Spketrum Dx9

j.lycan88

What about installing the right gimbal underneath the transmitter. I've seen disabled gamers do this. They use the stick mounted underneath and use their knee or fingers while thumb is in the usual position. I'm just not sure if I would have to modify it or go into software.

j.lycan88

What about installing the right gimbal underneath the transmitter. I've seen disabled gamers do this. They use the stick mounted underneath and use their knee or fingers while thumb is in the usual position. I'm just not sure if I would have to modify it or go into software.
I'm trying to keep it minimal because I'm still in a wheelchair and cant move around much

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm trying to keep it minimal because I'm still in a wheelchair and cant move around much
I am unsure if you are still interested in such a radio system or modification but I have a simple modification that will allow a FlySky iA6 radio to be simply operated by a single hand operator for three channel planes only.

Currently I am trying to simplify a 4 channel version so that a standard FlySky radio can be used to operate 4 channels at the same time using a single hand.

Have fun!